The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Matching an M. Toulouse "tobacco" saddle

I have an M. Toulouse saddle in the "tobacco" colored leather. It appears that M. Toulouse does not also make its leathers or girths in this same color (but please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Does anyone have a saddle in this same color and know what color I should choose for matching stirrup leathers and a girth? Do others just use the "chocolate" color? I am open to other brands, but I just want something that will match well.

Maybe the Santa Cruz "cognac" colour? I had a different saddle in a similar colour to yours, and I had the Santa Cruz stirrup leathers and bridle/martingale in the cognac colour which matched very nicely. I did oil them a bit and then with use and cleaning the colour mellowed nicely.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

After a couple coats of oil, the MT "oak" stirrup leathers come pretty close to the tobacco saddle color. A little more red, but not a bad contrast. Chocolate is definitely much darker.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

After a couple coats of oil, the MT "oak" stirrup leathers come pretty close to the tobacco saddle color. A little more red, but not a bad contrast. Chocolate is definitely much darker.

But HDR's Pro Triple Covered leathers in "hazelnut" are probably the best match.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

You could get the london tan and then oil (as recommended by Classic Saddlery)
    http://www.classicsaddlery.com/closeouts/bridlework.htm - scroll all the way to the bottom - leathers are $39.95! I ordered a pair - they are very nice.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Tiger Horse - DONE!!!! You rock!!!!

Thanks to everyone else for input as well. Melissa, does HDR have girths in the hazelnut color? I'm sure I can figure it out, but let me know if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by peachy View Post
    Tiger Horse - DONE!!!! You rock!!!!
    Glad I could help - and pass along a great deal!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy