The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Political mud slinging and finger pointing thread

A thread for those who feel the need to bash and belittle people of other political thoughts than they have. Feel free to post your conspiracy theories associated with the Boston Marathon bombing and the like here (instead of crowding the memorial/thoughts/worries thread).

I personally am waiting for evidence to point fingers on who did the bombings. I truly hope that it is just one very deranged individual who wanted to make a statement* that the authorities quickly find.

I have my doubts this bombing is associated with one political party or the other.

*Though I admit I am not sure what statement one is making when they are blowing up innocent people...children even.

3 members found this post helpful.

Let me throw the first handful at the media for rampant speculation.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Let me throw the first handful at the media for rampant speculation.
    It was amusing (not good amusing either) yesterday, when we were driving home from work. We were listening to constant coverage of the bombing and the various broadcasters kept speculating this and that. No two agreed with each other, but they felt the need to keep spewing what they were calling facts.

1 members found this post helpful.

the only though i had was that it sounded more like a home grown terrorist act, than a group, first, no one claimed it, and second, on tax day in boston, but that could all simply be co incidence

3 members found this post helpful.

I am just glad that the FBI and other law enforcement agencies are not releasing the names of all of the nuts claiming ownership of this act. No doubt they are sorting through these claims and focus should be on those killed, injured and their loved ones.

I really hate it when a tragedy of this magnitude happens and the media just over does it. I want to hear the who, what, where and when and then go back to the regular programming. Break in again if there is new, relevant information but don't just have a bunch of people rehashing the same stuff over and over or a bunch of "experts" giving their opinions. Like Det. Friday on the old Dragnet series, I want "just the facts, ma'am".

I could practically be an enemy of the state. I own a pressure cooker, guns, side with the TEA party and, holy crap(!) own metal ball bearings. Of course, the pressure cooker is so I could learn to can, the guns are for self protection and critter killing (though I haven't gotten around to that, yet) and the ball bearings are so I can shoot the raccoons with my slingshot (as opposed to the gun).

BTW, I keep hearing about how violent (and racist) the TEA party people are and I don't get it. The only violence I remember hearing about was from some of their rallies where the problems were started by anti-TEA party people.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

6 members found this post helpful.

Alabama, I'm not pro nor con tea partiers, but I saw a lot of violent and racist rhetoric at tea party conventions. Were they a select group of nutters? Quite possibly. According to a very conservative friend of mine, who works fora republican congressman "these people are way extreme". That's not all he said.

So, perhaps you may not be seeing the footage that you need to see in order to see what others see.

Please note: I am NOT saying that all members of the tea party fit that description - only that I've seen a lot of it, and it's not pretty.

7 members found this post helpful.

Oh! And I am also not saying that it is an official tea partier that caused this, or even a tea partier at all - I was just addressing that particular comment (before anyone gets their knickers in a twist!)

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Alabama, I'm not pro nor con tea partiers, but I saw a lot of violent and racist rhetoric at tea party conventions. Were they a select group of nutters? Quite possibly. According to a very conservative friend of mine, who works fora republican congressman "these people are way extreme". That's not all he said.

So, perhaps you may not be seeing the footage that you need to see in order to see what others see.

Please note: I am NOT saying that all members of the tea party fit that description - only that I've seen a lot of it, and it's not pretty.
    It should be noted that there are many groups that call themselves Tea Party this and that, but are not associated with the Tea Party Patriots. The real Tea Party Patriots are not associated with any political party, and do not endorse any candidates.

2 members found this post helpful.

That's a very good point horsehand. It is possible that they aren't 'real' tea party patriots. I'm just saying that for people to make that leap, based on what I have seen, is not a stretch.

Isn't that the case for all groups, though!

Oh! And I am also not saying that it is an official tea partier that caused this, or even a tea partier at all - I was just addressing that particular comment (before anyone gets their knickers in a twist!)
    When I first heard about the horrible attack it reminded me of Bill Ayers and The Weather Underground bombing.

And what you have seen might not correctly represent what the real TEA Party is. Some Extremist groups have co-opted the TEA Party name just as the extreme progressive have tried to co-opt the Democrat party. It works both ways. The media doesn't help, either. Remember the "scary" assault weapon a TEA Partier had at a rally that was shown on TV (MSNBC, I believe)? Funny, the station cropped out the person carrying it - a black man. A black man; however, would not have fit their agenda. That's not the only example, either.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I am not sure this qualifies as mudslinging, but in the news tonight I saw images of an impromptu memorial at one of the police barricades. A flag was hung from the top rail of the barricade, and what I noticed about it was the Tea Party motto. Just to make sure this wasn't some sort of Boston flag--home of the original tea party, after all--I did a search, but nope, it's a Tea Party banner.

This is a tiny URL of the picture, which I found from doing a search of "boston barricade memorial" (in case the link doesn't work):

http://tinyurl.com/c8rf8ub

I wonder if this is a clue. My belief also is that this is home-grown.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

alabama - as you will note - I made allowances for that! I'm just saying - don't be surprised when people make those accusations - because I'm not alone in having seen what I saw (wow is that a mouthful!! :-) )

As for who I think was responsible? To be honest, I'm not sure. Obviously radical somehow. And *any* ideology taken to that end is terrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    When I first heard about the horrible attack it reminded me of Bill Ayers and The Weather Underground bombing.
    Gee, the bombing of the US State Dept and a Military Induction Center ? Just for clarification the Boston marathon is not government sponsered. Sounds like someone is still smoking the wacky tobacky from the earlier era.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    I am not sure this qualifies as mudslinging, but in the news tonight I saw images of an impromptu memorial at one of the police barricades. A flag was hung from the top rail of the barricade, and what I noticed about it was the Tea Party motto. Just to make sure this wasn't some sort of Boston flag--home of the original tea party, after all--I did a search, but nope, it's a Tea Party banner.

This is a tiny URL of the picture, which I found from doing a search of "boston barricade memorial" (in case the link doesn't work):

http://tinyurl.com/c8rf8ub

I wonder if this is a clue. My belief also is that this is home-grown.
    Ummm, that is the Navy Jack flag.

The Gadsden flag is more associated with the modern day tea party philosophy.

Are you talking about the Gadsden Flag? The "Don't Tread on Me" flag. Ummm, sorry, that's been around since the 1700s. And yeah, I can see that being hung at a memorial. Americans don't appreciate being the focus of violence. It would mean more of a "You really shouldn't have started this" kind of thing. I hardly think a "Tea Partier" would be all hey-look-at-what-I-did. But, of course, so many people thing TEA Party people are stupid rednecks...

I can kind of see the "Don't" and the "Me" from the phrase. The snake on the background of the flag is wrong but was that what you were seeing???

alabama - as you will note - I made allowances for that! I'm just saying - don't be surprised when people make those accusations - because I'm not alone in having seen what I saw (wow is that a mouthful!! :-) )
    I know, but the majority of what most people have seen has come from a media that has an agenda that gets us all screwed. What happened to report the news, not make it? (Said as an old English major that at one time seriously considered reporting as an occupation.)

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Gee, the bombing of the US State Dept and a Military Induction Center ? Just for clarification the Boston marathon is not government sponsered. Sounds like someone is still smoking the wacky tobacky from the earlier era.....
    And people with crazy ideologies only ever target govt buildings? Roger that.