The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I file a USEF amateur status dispute?

Is it possible to file a amateur status dispute anonymously?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ffsnotes-guide

You've got to file an official protest under your own name and with a $200 deposit (returned if your dispute is upheld).

Thanks everyone, but I think I'll avoid the wrath of being the person who calls her out on it if I can't do it anonymously. It's a shame they don't have a way to report amateur status abuse anonymously if you can submit clear proof (such as a website) with the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyThe Ride View Post
    Thanks everyone, but I think I'll avoid the wrath of being the person who calls her out on it if I can't do it anonymously. It's a shame they don't have a way to report amateur status abuse anonymously if you can submit clear proof (such as a website) with the claim.
    Just make a Hotmail account and send an email with the links.
    If it is that obvious, USEF will see that there is a possibility to fine someone, which will probably be of interest to them, and possibly take action. You won't get any updates though.

3 members found this post helpful.

I had a friend who was showing as an amateur but teaching. Someone sent an anonymous letter to the TD of a show where my friend was entered. The TD approached my friend. She probably could have denied the accusation as she did not advertise, but instead changed her status. No formal complaints were made.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

It's a shame but the reason they do not allow anonymous protests is the fear that people would feel free to use them against people they disliked/disagreed with/competed against etc instead of for legitimate protests.

That said, I agree that you might simply create an email account and send a link to the website in question with some sort of indication that the person is showing as an amateur and therefore violating the rules.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If the protester can't be anonymous, can it be held confidential?

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    If the protester can't be anonymous, can it be held confidential?
    If you are going to file an actual portest, you can not be anonymous.

But
    GR604 Charges.
    Any official of a USEF Licensed Competition, any Steward or Technical Delegate
    assigned to a USEF licensed competition, any National Officer of the Federation
    or the CEO or Executive Director of the Federation may file a charge...
    So if you provide clear evidence that there is a violation to an offiical, etc., there is a reasonable chance, if they believe the evidence, that THEY will file a charge. But you can not count on it.
    Last edited by Janet; Apr. 17, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thank you, Janet

Yes you can absolutely file anonymously....ask me I know . Fill out the complaint form, attach all supporting documents such as website info, video etc. and mail it in. The downside of the anonymous tip is that you will not know the status of the investigation, but they do follow up on all credible complaints. The way I see it, even if USEF dismisses the case, it at least scared the crap out of the rule breaker and it puts them on notice that there actions are not going unnoticed!

OP, if you're still afraid of the wrath, PM me the details & I'll send the E-mail. This is a pet peeve of mine, as I'm an amateur. All amateurs should be as miserable @ their day job as I am

6 members found this post helpful.

Unfortunately, this happens more often then we like to think about. I have seen several AAs who eventually changed their status - but usually after a few years of making money. I know one who just charged to exercise (ride) horses when their owners were on vacation. One person in the barn complained, and everyone at the barn got mad at the complainer, but she was right! Another who started teaching and finally did declare Pro, but after several years of teaching (for money). Another who rides and shows other people's horses - and they buy her gifts for riding and showing. Another who was sponsored and got a free saddle - she still shows as an AA, and that was several years ago. These are all examples of people who are no longer AAs. Yeah, it makes me mad too!

I have to point out - if they are teaching or coaching for no pay (money or other compensation), then they are still AAs. But the minute they get any kind of compensation for riding, coaching, teaching, or letting someone use their name in advertising (sponsorship), then they are a PROFESSIONAL!

1 members found this post helpful.

You can always do what the folks on the h/j forum do (they readily out their shamateurs) and that is just post a link to the person's professional website.

But the best thing to do is take it to the officials. USEF is only as strong as the integrity of its members and the sport. They can't be everywhere, and know everything.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Bring it to the attention of the TD/steward. I was managing a show and two different exhibitors approached the steward and she did her own investigating and included this in her report. Not sure whatever of the outcome, but she took pics of the entry blank where the exhibitor signed as trainer. This gal has been a known entity.

I just started giving my co-worker's daughter lessons. They've finally stopped asking if they can give me money. I'm just happy the old nag has a job.