The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rambo Flysheets (regular type) and Rambo/Amigo QH Flysheets

Two questions in one thread here. Both horses need new flysheets: the mare in an attempt to find one that truly fits her, and the gelding in an attempt to find one that *might* last through the summer (more than one summer would be great!)

Gelding first: His buddies are really hard on his clothes (holes in a 1680D sheet and a Kensington-like flysheet shredded). Is one of the Rambo flysheets worth investing in for this guy? If so, which one?

Now the mare: Need something that doesn't rub. Does anyone have experience with the Rambo/Amigo Stock Horse cuts? Or the SmartPak QH cuts? Amigo Mio, Weatherbeeta, Schneiders, and Turtleneck all gave her shoulder rubs. Needn't be as durable as the gelding's.

TIA!
    Last edited by pattnic; Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Made it less wordy!!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

No one?
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I have a broad shouldered horse and I got a weatherbeta warmblood fly sheet. No more shoulder rubs but I can't use the neck part because he is fairly normal sized just large boned with huge shoulders. I got it halfway through last season and it's held up nicely with no tears so far. He did have one rough pasturemate that constantly bit him. I haven't tried a rambo so I can't give any opinion.

Where did you find a WB warmblood flysheet? I've never seen/heard of it before... but if I can find it, it might work!

I use the Rambo Fly Buster sheets with great success although I don't have any really rough horses. I did have a gelding that ripped many a blanket on his pasture mate so the pasture mate began wearing the Baker fly sheet over his other clothing. The tack shop owner recommended the textilene material as it would be the most durable. Even with Mr. Teeth grabbing at it frequently, the sheet had no damage to it. Mr. Teeth only had managed to rip it at the top seam which was an easy fix to just stitch it back together at the seam.

I did purchase 2 of the Rambo QH fly sheets. They are the same material as the Fly Busters. I used them on a big bodied WB and a huge bodied TB. The QH model runs shorter in the drop and very different in the length. I used an 82" QH sheet on the TB who always wore a 78". I unknowingly purchased a 78" or an 80" for the WB and it was too small overall. That horse was a true 78" as well. In my experience they run narrower than the Fly Busters through the shoulder. Those are very generously sized.

This is the one I got. It fit true to size just has tons of room in the shoulders. http://reviews.doversaddlery.com/178...tm?sort=rating

Quote Originally Posted by stargzng386 View Post
    This is the one I got. It fit true to size just has tons of room in the shoulders. http://reviews.doversaddlery.com/178...tm?sort=rating
    Thanks for the link - that's the same one I've tried in the past. Still got shoulder rubs.

Mine both have the Rambo protectors. LOVE them!