The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else a little nervous to travel?

I fly to NYC tomorrow for my cousin's wedding. Normally I wouldn't be nervous to travel at all but NYC is always a high target. How do I calm myself? I know that it's not a rational fear but I can't get it off the back of my mind
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

You're safer tomorrow than you would have been last week. You might be safer on that plane and in NYC than you could be at your local mall this afternoon. Or, driving home from work........ Be alert but live your life and enjoy your trip!
    Kerri

2 members found this post helpful.

i feel ya; i went to seattle from maryland in october 2001.

but kasjordan is right; you might get a body cavity search by the TSA but the flight should be safe.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I am heading to Newark today and Belgium tomorrow. Not any more nervous than normal, although my DH is a bit concerned. I figure it is out of my control, so not worth worrying about. Easier said than done, right?

I wish I had tips to calm yourself, the problem with irrational fears is that they don't respond so well to rational thoughts. Hope you are able to get your mind off of it and have a great trip.

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

No, because if we start looking over our shoulders and stop exercising our rights to freedom, then we are letting them win. Go and have an awesome time!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I flew to France in October 2001 and our take off was delayed because some passengers just could not get themselves to board... so wait for them to really make up their minds, then get the luggage off the plane! geez..
    I felt more secure on that flight than on any other before that. And I have felt pretty safe since too.
    I am flying next Tuesday to France (from Canada) and I am not worried one bit.
    Enjoy your trip, but be prepared for longer security lines!

Can I, as a NYer, tell you not to worry? I always feel safe here, but I can assure you that since yesterday, security has been stepped up even more, particularly around hotels, bridges, on the subways, etc.

I fly to Vegas next month for a week's vacation, around Memorial day. Not nervous at all, but I haven't been on a plane in about 10 years!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I agree with Kasjordan. The security is dramatically heightened as a result of this terrible tragedy. Your chances of having a fender bender or falling down the stairs are much higher than being involved in a bombing. Um, yes, that is meant to make you feel better.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

I booked my first ever trip to Italy yesterday afternoon!

I live around DC. There's always some threat and it would be easy to let yourself be paralyzed. Around here, I figure we have a bigger threat from Metro itself (i.e. maintenance or lack of), not terrorists.

3 members found this post helpful.

Cant blame you for being nervous, its a natural thing. I am a very uptight ,high strung ,bundle of nerves person. I learned the power of Ohm. It really works. Try it you might like it. And like others have said its probably safer now then two weeks ago. So please have a good time.

Nope, not afraid, but being nervous is normal. I grew up in the 70's in England, witnessed first hand IRA terrorist attacks....it just became, well sadly part of life I suppose, it didn't stop us from travelling from enjoying life, we just dealt with it.

The one thing I do say though, if you see something suspicious...report it....don't wait! I know back in the 70's, if we saw a package/bag/etc just sitting by itself in the tube stations, cops were there ASAP and the place cleared. There was no fooling around......it was just done! Nowadays, I suppose we've become so engrossed in our own lifes/cell phones etc we just don't notice or ignore things. Don't ignore them!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I do understand being nervous, but really, it's worth it to get up and get out there. Today public transit in Boston is mostly back to normal, but ridership is about half of normal. Are that many people *really* staying home?

(And yes, I know it's school vacation and a lot of parents take the week off, but...)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    I do understand being nervous, but really, it's worth it to get up and get out there. Today public transit in Boston is mostly back to normal, but ridership is about half of normal. Are that many people *really* staying home?

(And yes, I know it's school vacation and a lot of parents take the week off, but...)
    A lot of offices near the crime scene (which is something like 12-15 blocks, quite large) are closed, so I imagine most companies only have their most essentials employees going into work. I don't think it's nerves or fear in most cases; I do think it's just logistics.

I was living in Italy on Sept 11 2001 and had a plane ticket to head to Amsterdam on Sept 13. We were advised not to "look American" and pretend we were Canadian. LOL I was nervous too. BUT as other posters have mentioned, you're probably safer now than a week a go because everyone is on high alert.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If by nervous you mean nervous for my next trip through TSA, then yes.

Take it for what it's worth for someone who has been on a plane maybe three or four times max since 9-11 (I was a nervous-wreck flier BEFORE i heard the Pentagon crash firsthand), but I wouldn't think too much about it. Everyone is on alert now.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I live around DC. There's always some threat and it would be easy to let yourself be paralyzed. Around here, I figure we have a bigger threat from Metro itself (i.e. maintenance or lack of), not terrorists.
    Ditto this. Though really, it hardly crosses my mind, even working a block from the Captiol. Its far, far more likely that something tragic would happen on the beltway on the way out to the barn than anything else. We're flying out to Vegas and going on a two week road trip on Monday, no worries at all.