The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there hope after (human) hip injury?

11 days ago I walked out to the barn to fill up paddock hay boxes and open the pasture gates. The next thing I remember is being in the ER getting X-rays on my left side from shoulder down to pelvis, followed by head CT. (And, yes, still wearing the PJs and muck boots I had worn to the barn!)

Dx - "mild" concussion (not sure that should even be in our vocabulary anymore) plus two broken ribs and "bruised hip". Went home with pain meds and a bunch of questions. When I asked the ER doc about limitations, he basically said to let pain be my guide. When things begin to hurt less, then I can do more. Not exactly useful - let alone correct - advice, especially given the concussion.

So I did bed rest for a couple of days, ice, drugs, etc... When I started moving about more, I realized my left hip is way more than just bruised. After hobbling around with a cane or walker, I called to get an appt with ortho doc - that's tomorrow. I have been worrying (silently) about whether a hip injury can put an end to riding... forever? It's as if everything in the hip joint is loose. If I move the leg in exactly the right way, the hip hurts but does at least hold. If I move the leg any other way, the whole thing collapses.

Maybe it's all soft tissue damage. But then again, there could be a fracture. Or a labral tear. Long recovery time, possible surgical repair or even hip replacement.

Anybody have hip injuries? I would love to hear both positive and negative outcomes.

Oh, by the way, although I still don't remember what happened, I've recovered a few memory "flashes" that lead me to think this was one of the stupidest, most impulsive things I've ever done...
    Fox Wood Farm

FWIW, soft tissue damage takes longer to heal and hurts worse than a break; the break can take a few weeks to heal but the soft tissue will take several months. I separated ribs years ago and they hurt for almost a year and broke ribs on the same side and they stopped hurting in a couple of weeks and I was back at work. Same when I broke my foot - the bones healed in a month but the soft tissue gave me problems for almost a year. That said, do get a second opinion as certain fractures won't show up on an x-ray for a few days.

Once your hip heals, you should be good to ride again, just take it slow.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Ditto SK_pacer on soft tissue injuries. I was involved with two crashes 10 days apart (one auto, one equine) and I swore my back was broken because of the terrific amount of pain. It's taken a LONG TIME to get back to normal but I just got released from the chiropractor last week. My back will let me know when I have done too much and need to step back and rest a bit.

Good luck with the healing!

My SIL broke her hip. She couldn't ride for 6 months but after that she was able to ride and play tennis. A few years later she had to have the hip replaced due to avascular necrosis. She's back riding and playing tennis.

Mr P had his hip replaced and was playing golf 6 weeks later
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Almost two months ago I was riding a horse who fell to her knees and stayed that way for quite a few strides. I hit the front of a cutting saddle, and must have pulled every muscle and tendon in my hip area. I don't remember ever being in that much pain, and for at least a week I had trouble even getting in the car. I spoke with my doctor about it, and because it isn't fractured there didn't seem to be much point in going in for x-rays, etc. She said it would be at least six weeks to feel reasonably comfortable, and I'm thinking twice as long before I am back to close to where I was. I'm finally able to walk okay, but I still have a lot of pain in my hip area at the end of the day.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I got launched off a draft cross and landed (several feet away) right on my hip. I have never felt anything so painful! I tried all the home remedies but ended up having to go to physical therapy and having laser treatments. It was slow going, but now it is just fine. I still do my stretches that I learned in therapy on both hips just as a preventative but ime something that feels like it should be killing you CAN be rehabbed!

FWIW, I broke my hip (stupid oxer) and the Orthopedic surgeon said I could ride again in 9 Months (although for the life of him, he could not figure why I wanted to get back on the horse that had caused the problem in the first place). Family doctor (who has horses) said three. At ten weeks I climbed on Normie (damn, it felt good!) and at eight months enrolled in a night dressage course at Virginia Intermont College. I rode just fine for the next twelve years, though I still walk with a limp.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Almost two months ago I was riding a horse who fell to her knees and stayed that way for quite a few strides. I hit the front of a cutting saddle, and must have pulled every muscle and tendon in my hip area. I don't remember ever being in that much pain, and for at least a week I had trouble even getting in the car. I spoke with my doctor about it, and because it isn't fractured there didn't seem to be much point in going in for x-rays, etc. She said it would be at least six weeks to feel reasonably comfortable, and I'm thinking twice as long before I am back to close to where I was. I'm finally able to walk okay, but I still have a lot of pain in my hip area at the end of the day.
    Just imagining that is making me see stars.

OP, you're doing the right thing by going to the orthopedist. I delayed for 6 months (because my chiro x-rayed it and didn't see the teeny tiny pop in the femoral neck) and ended up with a total replacement. Which, BTW, is just fine - I actually like it better than the factory original on the other side, which tends to flare up with a little bursitis now and then.

If you're in the Upstate and fairly close to Asheville, I *highly* recommend Kyle Wright at (his) North Carolina School of Advanced Bodywork. I had a bad fall several years ago and had a lot of soft tissue damage around my pelvis. His very specific postural rehabilitation work is just flat-out amazing. I'm standing, walking and riding straight and pain-free for the first time since the wipeout.

Of course, an accurate diagnosis and healing of any acute damage comes first. Hope you get a good (or at least as good as possible) report from the ortho tomorrow.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com