The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

At least you now know of a good avian vet close by, in case you have other chicken problems.

I'm sorry for the loss of your chicken. I didn't know they had personalities! I'm glad you did it the way you did.

Ohmigosh DancingArabian, they really do have personalities! I did not realize it either until we got ours

Angela - the big Australorp mix, LOVED to get into and onto everything. If I was piling hay in a wheelbarrow, she'd jump in there. When I opened the tack/feed room door, she'd run in and get up on the counter, saddle pads, boxes, you name it. Allie, the Ameracauna, learned very early on that running towards a human would offer protection from some meanie LOL Hawkeye, the Marans cross, will run over to the scratch bucket and hope I leave the cover off long enough They really are a blast to have around.

Chickie TV

Oh, JB, I'm so sorry to hear about Ella. But, I hope you are comforted by her ease in passing, and the fact that you now know of a vet with avian experience somewhat nearby!

Love the pics in your last post...such funny chickies!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    this monstrosity. For reference, the next biggest is the size of a store x-large LOL
    Holey Moley!
    That must have hurt!

Godspeed, Ella.
    Anyone who does not own them has no idea how these little featherdusters can become beloved pets.
    Personalities that far outsize their 5 or so lbs!

I still grieve and feel responsible for my pet Houdan who fell victim to a fox last Fall.
    It was most certainly my fault for letting the flock of 7 freerange all day.
    But they had done soe for more than 2 years w/o a casualty.
    Still, you cannot blame the fox for going through the drive-thru when you are serving McNuggets.
    Fox left me 3 bodies - so at least I could account for all my losses.

The rooster put up a fight - he had the worst injuries.
    The 2 hens looked to have died quickly - I think my Houdan thought she was hidden beneath a tree.
    Yup, Misty Cologne: green leaves, B&W feathers - you are invisible

And they most certainly notice a loss!
    My youngest hen who grew up from day-old chick with the rooster called for him that evening.
    And Misty's BPFF (Best Poultry Friend) I swear looked for her - those 2 used to hang together.
    Now youngest hen and BPFF are a duo.

I hope your little Bella can find a new friend.
    {hugs} for you both!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Oberon, I am very comforted by the ease, and very comforted knowing Dr Nollan is now around. I wish she'd been there last Fall when I had egg-bound Cindy

2dogs, they are a bit like Corgies- big 'nalities in little bods! I'm sorry you lost chickies to a fox - it sucks. Ours free range as well, and if we ever end up with a real predator problem, I'm not sure we'll have chickens anymore. We don't have a suitable place for a large enough protected area, and I just won't keep them in a coop, even if it does move every couple of days for fresh ground. The pleasure they get from scrounging in the manure pile, from taking dust baths in the well-broken down mulch areas, from running out of the coop after a night's rain to gorge on worms, from taking a run at a kitty and scaring the crap out of her , from doing all things chickie, is a pretty good life

JB;
    Corgi's, eh?
    If I ever consider getting a dog that breed will be considered

I have become so chickenized I have considered putting up fencing on a lot more of my acreage so the flock can freerange better protected.
    I've already roofed my fenced henyard - which is where they spend days now - with deer netting so hawks are discouraged.

I have dealt with rats in the coop. When I realized I was feeding layer pellets as well as some of my eggsto them the poison baits came out & Voila! no more rat problem.
    I've seen possums hanging near the coop as well as a skunk family and "something" burrowed and completely upheaved (is that a word?) the gravel & dirt floor in the little storeroom section of my coop.
    And once I nearly walked into a huge redtail hawk who had landed just outside my (open) coop door

Predators are always present if you live anywhere with land.
    Heck! When I lived in a very big city - 1 block from Wrigley Field - I regularly saw possums & raccoons!
    I do what I can to protect my hens, but like you, I know they love their outside time too much for me to totally keep them in.

Just another tradeoff we make for having critters.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

So sorry for your loss of dear Ella! I'm gearing up to start a little flock - I know I'll become very attached to my chicky-poos

Wanted to mention, in case someone else gets in this sad position, a chicken's skull is pretty fragile & easy to crush & the brain small - I've dispatched one that had been attacked by a dog & was obviously suffering, by holding a rag over its head, pinning down to concrete & swift blow with a rock. Instant death. I did the same for a robin the cats had damaged beyond hope.

I'm hoping I don't run in to the need to dispatch any of my soon to be acquired chickies but glad I can find the will to end suffering quickly when it is obviously needed.

But I sure understand if you can't - it took me until I was late thirties to be able to do this, but I feel better now that I can. Sometimes the trip to the vet is just enlongating the suffering, if you can end it swiftly yourself, it can be a better end.

I'm sorry JB.

Someone gave me two white leghorns once.. dumped them over my fence because I wouldn't take them... I called them raptor bait.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    JB;
    Corgi's, eh?
    If I ever consider getting a dog that breed will be considered

I have become so chickenized I have considered putting up fencing on a lot more of my acreage so the flock can freerange better protected.
    I've already roofed my fenced henyard - which is where they spend days now - with deer netting so hawks are discouraged.

I have dealt with rats in the coop. When I realized I was feeding layer pellets as well as some of my eggsto them the poison baits came out & Voila! no more rat problem.
    I've seen possums hanging near the coop as well as a skunk family and "something" burrowed and completely upheaved (is that a word?) the gravel & dirt floor in the little storeroom section of my coop.
    And once I nearly walked into a huge redtail hawk who had landed just outside my (open) coop door

Heck! When I lived in a very big city - 1 block from Wrigley Field - I regularly saw possums & raccoons!
    I do what I can to protect my hens, but like you, I know they love their outside time too much for me to totally keep them in.

Snakes, don't forget snakes love eggs too.
    Noting more interesting on an early morning run to feed the chickens and find a snake waiting for the first egg of the morning right in the nests.

Yes, all animals you care for have personalities.
    Reading those and noticing when some is off is your canary in the mine, warning you before anything is wrong that something is or is going to be wrong before you notice it.

I know of one feral hog the farmer found alive as a real baby one, all others dead and he raised it as a pet and is now a herding dog, also his protector, won't let a cow or bull get close to him.
    His cattle respect that hog too, see if I can find the video.

OP, sorry that your hen didn't make it.
    As Grandma used to say when we lost some critter, "losing them is part of life, only those that don't have any don't lose any.

Bluey:
    Your Grandma had it right.
    Can't love w/o loss.

So far {knock wood} no snakes have made themselves known here except for one bitty garter snake that had a barncat doing Airs Above the Ground until I moved it to tall grass and out of sight of said cat.
    I am not afraid of snakes, but that would be a real at 6A in the coop!

JB:
    Sorry to derail your post.
    Has Bella found a new friend?
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

So very sorry for your loss, but I am very glad you took her to a vet, much less traumatic for all involved.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Bluey's g'ma was so right The losses hurt for sure, but thankfully we usually have these guys long enough for the fun and joy to infinitely more than make up for it, which is what keeps us going

I'm glad that (so far) we don't have rodent or snake issue around the coop. Hopefully it stays that way!

Bella obviously misses her sister. She talks and calls a lot more these days. Hopefully she'll buddy up with someone else, as she seems to be "that kind", but we'll see!

JB - Im sorry for your loss, I was quite suprised that I enjoy my chickens as much as i do. They're little characters, each and every one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    JB;
    I'm struggling with this now. I have a solitary EE roo that's out 99% of the time, and then the hens and other roos go out a couple hours in the afternoon when I'm home (he gets locked up then). They have a nice size pen, but they do love their free range time. I've never had a predator problem before, but one day this week a fox came calling and tore my little roo up pretty good. I had to chase him off, I couldn't find the roo at first, you could tell he put up a fight, there were 3 huge feather piles at large distances in my paddock, and until I found him I thought he was dead for sure. He's on lockdown right now until I figure out what to do. I hate the thought of them never being able to free range again, but at the same time I hate the thought of offering up their little lives as a wildlife buffet. I wish I knew what to do. I've had chickens at home for 3 years, and never lost one to a predator, I'm not looking to start now.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

*sigh* I wish it was the neighbor's dog, but unfortunately yesterday afternoon I learned it is indeed a fox. Caught her redhanded chasing the chickies not 20' from the front porch She was literally on the tail of Angelica, one of the black sex links. I chased Ms Fox off as Angelica, bless her heart, ran straight to me. After MUCH searching, only able to find 4 others (including the 2 'roos who were not about to stand and fight for their girls!) and just knowing the other 2 black sex links were "gone", I found everyone, locked up the few I could catch, and set about assessing Angelica's damage.

Thankfully it's a lot more superficial than I first thought, though I really can't help but giggle a bit (I know, just smack me) at her half naked hiney where Foxie pulled all her feathers out.

So, crap, decisions have to be made. For now they'll stay locked in their coop until we are home for the day *and working outside*, which will be several hours on weekends, and at least 2-3 hours during the week.

We simply don't have a good place for a large pen that at least mimics free range. I hate the thought of them living in the coop except for a few hours for the rest of their lives *sigh*

*sigh* I wish it was the neighbor's dog, but unfortunately yesterday afternoon I learned it is indeed a fox. Caught her redhanded chasing the chickies not 20' from the front porch She was literally on the tail of Angelica, one of the black sex links. I chased Ms Fox off as Angelica, bless her heart, ran straight to me. After MUCH searching, only able to find 4 others (including the 2 'roos who were not about to stand and fight for their girls!) and just knowing the other 2 black sex links were "gone", I found everyone, locked up the few I could catch, and set about assessing Angelica's damage.

Thankfully it's a lot more superficial than I first thought, though I really can't help but giggle a bit (I know, just smack me) at her half naked hiney where Foxie pulled all her feathers out.

So, crap, decisions have to be made. For now they'll stay locked in their coop until we are home for the day *and working outside*, which will be several hours on weekends, and at least 2-3 hours during the week.

We simply don't have a good place for a large pen that at least mimics free range. I hate the thought of them living in the coop except for a few hours for the rest of their lives *sigh*
    You know, chickens really don't care that much about space.
    Just like goldfish, they will use whatever size world you arrange for them, a small aquarium or the largest windmill tank, a little coop with a pen or the whole world.
    Chickens adapt, they won't stand by the gate all day long, hoping you will open it and let them out, although they will come running if they see you go to the gate you have taught them you will open for them.

Chickens are chickens, easy to train, but won't hold a new thought two seconds, the ultimate ADHA critter.

On the other hand, you will be taking care of them properly when you are managing them so they are out of harm's way.

2 members found this post helpful.

yeah, I know they'll adapt, and I know I'm really just complaining a bit LOL I really don't want or need the extra work from having them cooped up for 20 hours a day, and I really loved having them free foraging for as nutritious eggs as they could get. Our coop really isn't designed well to be something we're constantly going into for changing feed, water, and bedding, but we do have some ideas for turning an old portable metal gazebo thingy into a bigger coop that has human standing room, so if we can get that going, that would settle my mind on this a lot

The other thing we'll probably try is to start letting them out again all day in another month or so. We've always had foxes around, but the chickens have been free ranging for about 9 months now, since they were big enough to safely be unsupervised, so my HOPE is that once mating/kitting season is over, the fox won't be venturing so close to us in the middle of the day anymore. I can hope, right? Obviously, if it's July and we lose another one, well... :\

The other thing we'll probably try is to start letting them out again all day in another month or so. We've always had foxes around, but the chickens have been free ranging for about 9 months now, since they were big enough to safely be unsupervised, so my HOPE is that once mating/kitting season is over, the fox won't be venturing so close to us in the middle of the day anymore. I can hope, right? Obviously, if it's July and we lose another one, well... :\
    Not gonna happen. I know you're hoping it will, but it won't. Mating/kitting season has nothing to do with it. Fox are smart cookies, & chickens are easy prey. Regardless of the season, your birds have now been marked as a KFC buffet, & that ISN'T going to change in one month or 6 months, regardless of the season or whether or not you're home.

I knew a woman who was outside weeding & had a fox jump her fence, run over, pick up her favorite hen who was outside free-ranging beside her, & jump back over the fence into the woods with it before she could even stand up. It was around noontime on a nice sunny summer day. She knew she had fox around & thought bringing just her favorite bird out with her while gardening would be protection enough. Not.

I don't know how you are set there, but room for the chickens may not be as hard to make as you may think.

A chicken run doesn't has to be wide and large, some narrower and twisting areas are also good enough and may keep birds from being able to sweep down, plus you can add some light netting over the top easier if it is long and narrow, if you have a problem from above.

The reason most build wide, larger areas to confine any critters is because it takes less fencing for the most space in there.

Sorry for your loss.