The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

If she's still (not too mobile), place her head under your truck's tire while on asphalt and roll forward over her head. If you can't get to the vet, it's not as hands on as breaking her neck or decapitating her, and in my opinion it's more humane than some of the suggestions you've been given. I had to do it for a neighbour's hen who got tore up by a dog. It was instantaneous and in my opinion humane. Unless it's super serious, I too have a problem being hands on.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I would take her to the vet. I used ether to kill a rooster that had injured himself badly and wasn't getting better. I will.never.do.that.again. It wasn't long or violent but nothing wants to die.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Thanks all. I'll call my small animal vet and see what the cost is. No to the large - $55 farm call lol

i did a bit of research on the dry ice and the BYC folks said for an adult bird it may induce a panicky "I have to breathe!!!" Mode :/.

Maybe hubby will be able to use the axe. I can't.

Someone mentioned wanting to find a tiny guillotine - now that I think I could manage

my SAV did mention they might have to start "doing" chickens if more folks like us got them, so...

I have a friend who puts them in a brown paper bag and holds it to the tailpipe of her car. They go fast and painlessly.

If there is enough oxygen, CO2 in moderate concentrations should not evoke a panicky feeling. People who retain CO2 because of bad lungs just . . . get sleepy and eventually comatose. 100% CO2 would be uncomfortable, but it is the lack of oxygen and not the excess of CO2 that provokes a sensation of suffocation. (probably why a plastic bag was unpleasant)

Around here there is a poultry farm that will process chickens for a small fee ($2/bird) but you have to catch them and haul them up there, a half hour drive. I do that if I'm slaughtering the whole bunch.

Do you have any dormosedan gel? I'll bet that would make short work of a chicken if you (carefully!!!!) put a glob inside its mouth.
    Click here before you buy.

Good to know about the CO2 coconcentration.

No dorm, gel or otherwise.

Back to the calcium gluconate - would an OD of an IM injection be a horrible death?

Why have an animal if you can't get up the guts to deal with putting it out of it's misery? Seems like your squeamishness is more important than it's suffering.

4 members found this post helpful.

I second to take her to the vets--I had to take a tumor laiden white rat to the vets--felt really silly but they were kind--did not charge me much-- and I did not have to live with a bad death.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post
    Why have an animal if you can't get up the guts to deal with putting it out of it's misery? Seems like your squeamishness is more important than it's suffering.
    Judge not, lest ye be judged. Walk a mile in somebody else's shoes in ALL situations that have to do with death, dying, misery and suffering and then you can choose to tell them that the way they're handling it is wrong.
    Click here before you buy.

27 members found this post helpful.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to do the deed in a way that is kind to the chicken AND to the human...sheesh, judgey folks.

I'm interested what you hear back from the SAV, and I hope you'll share what ultimately comes of it. I know some vets in urban areas that are seeing increasing numbers of chickens are beginning to deal with this same issue - treating, diagnosing, and euthanizing animals that haven't "typically" been seen in their practices.

All that to say good luck and hugs to you. I know it wasn't that long ago that you dealt with the egg-bound girlie. (((HUGS)))

2 members found this post helpful.

Like I haven't.

Maybe because anyone can shoot an injured, terminal animal dying, but to take a sick, terminal but still alive one and wring it's neck, when it is not an absolute necessity, when that is not your job description, well, that really is not the same.

8 members found this post helpful.

For goodness sake, take it the vet and have it euthanized properly.
    All other sugesstions here are just gross!

4 members found this post helpful.

You could call a SAV and ask them if they know any safe, humane, at home ways to kill (for lack of a better word) a chicken
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Where does the average person get dry ice?
    They sell it at Meijer here (grocery store).
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Why have a car if you can't fix it yourself? Your compassion for a person who is unable to put their hands on an animal in that way is touching. I used to work with animals every day in the workplace but a dead mouse in my basement freaked me out. If YOU can kill an animal, good for you but take off your judgey Tuesday panties when talking about someone else.

JB- another vote for small animal vet. Large animal vets may have a good solution, too. They are usually willing to talk to you about that and give advice or tell you what you CAN inject her with that will be quick and painless.

It's hard to watch them suffer. I hope you get her to the vet or figure out what to do to end her suffering (and yours).
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

6 members found this post helpful.

JB, do you have ANY equine sedatives on hand? When I raised pet mice, there was a time or two when I had to euth a mouse asap and could not wait for the vet. A massive (for the mouse) dose of ace and xylazine worked very, very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    My "sick" (which is probably actually injured, probably spinal) hen is just not getting better, and has gotten worse this week. This morning she was not interested in her banana - the food she'll run you over for It's been 2 1/2 weeks in her own little coop and I've finally come to the decision she's just not going to get over this

I certainly don't want her to just starve to death, but I *cannot* bring myself to put hands on her to end it. I DO have injectable calcium, which I got to try to treat the egg-bound hen, and in reading up on that, I read if you give too much you can cause cardiac arrest and kill them.

So the question is - if I OD her on that, will it *definitely* put her down and will it *definitely* be quick? I certainly don't want that to end up just putting her into terrible convulsions or something before it ends
    Christ Almighty!!! PLEASE don't listen to the neck-snapping, locking-in-a-container-with-dry-ice (JESUS!!!) folks. Call your small-animal vet & ask them to simply euthanize the bird for you. While I don't know your small-animal vet or your relationship with them, mine would most likely do it without charge or with a VERY minimal charge.

Good Lord people - why hasn't someone piped up & suggested she run over it with her car?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Good Lord people - why hasn't someone piped up & suggested she run over it with her car?????
    See post #21.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    See post #21.
    Lol! Although this is NOT a laughing matter, thanks for pointing out to me that someone actually DID have this idiotic advice. COTH posters come from all points & always seem to find a way to astound, dismay, & stymy.