The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Any Ideas to Get Dead Deer out of Pool -- from 1,600 miles away?

Well here's a new one (for me). Neighbor just called and there is a dead deer in our pool on our property in Connecticut.

Now we are in Kansas at the moment.

Does anyone have a clue whom we should call about removing a deer from a pool in Connecticut??

Where in Connecticut? (You can PM me, if you want). I live two miles from the CT border and my neighbor would probably be happy to help for a little $$.

Otherwise . . . maybe start asking w/the pool maintenance company? Or a landscaper? Probably after about 5 phone calls you'll find the right person. Good luck.

SMF11 -- you have a PM.

have you called animal control? I think any general handyman type service will be able to help too! Actually why can't your neighbor fish out the beasty?

I think a large part of getting rid of Bambi is how long Bambi's been floating in the pool. Even where I live it would be hard to get rid of something that's been floating for a while. And I think the pool people will have to make a special trip to check the filters and such.

Of course, since I live in Alabama it would be very different here. If I had a pool (and I don't) and if a deer drowned in it there would be a line of people willing to remove it very quickly. Deer killed by car accidents (mostly big pickups and dump trucks I think) around here don't stay by the road for long at all. I think acquiring road kill is very legal here, and a little bruising doesn't matter I guess.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4

Sorry, someone suggested this when we had a horse (32 years old) die on our farm in IN in the worst winter on record, and we couldn't get the horse out of the stall because the horse had frozen solid. Then when the snow melted, it was too muddy for anyone to get to the barn w/ a vehicle. It was sad (yet almost comical). We got suggestions from "put your dogs in the stall for two hours every day" to "dig down into the stall and bury it" (we had dirt stalls).

We finally tried to pull it out, and it came out, all right...in pieces. That may well be your situation, too (along with draining pool and refilling it, alas). Hope it doesn't come to that!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I would think a landscaper can get their light machinery in there, that won't damage the yard turf or tiling around the pool.

If they can get a skidster with rubber tracks, or a rubber track light backhoe, that would make the job much easier.
    Hopefully it will come all out in one piece, if it is not too rotten.

May work best to make a deer burrito with a tarp, well tied together, to keep it all in one piece.
    Then drag or lift the burrito out of the pool and onto whatever you have to pull it out of the yard.

Gosh, what a horrible subject ... Bluey, that may be a good idea about the deer burrito, but since I am not there, I really don't know what the options are.

We are trying to get hold of a landscaper today. To those who wonder why the neighbor doesn't just drag it out ... well ... it's not really his job. We do have someone "caretaking" the place but -- looks like we need to find someone else as this person has left us high-and-dry with a "I don't have any idea what to do" response. Can't even get him to make a few phone calls and try. So much for him as a caretaker!

This sounds like an episode of Seinfeld, doesn't it? Will let you know how it turns out.
    Last edited by King's Ransom; Aug. 7, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

I hang with the kind of "down home" people that this sort of thing would happen to... and make a good story. Nice, old, 100# black lab (as stupid as the day is long), probably had a heart attack while leaning over the side for a drink, fell in and sunk to the bottom. The boy of the family was told to dive in and retrieve the body. No, the pool wasn't drained.

Your caretaker is being a wuss. Deer aren't that big and heavy. Just go in and get the sucker. I think a call to your CT area Animal Control would be a great first stop. If it hasn't been there long, call your pool guy and say "Hey, uh, how much more chlorine do you want to add to take care of this little problem?'
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You need someone with a winch. Try fire dept or tow truck company.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

If it is not falling apart yet, two men can pull it out and drag it to where it can be loaded just fine.
    Hunters do it all the time, sometimes one alone can get it done, if it is not a very big deer.

It is going to be hard to find some official on a Sunday, like AC or game wardens, that could help them there.

The local fire department may oblige.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Is there a local hunt club? (and I mean those who hunt deer) They might be willing to drop over, push it to the side by the gate (pool skimmers should work), float a tarp under it, rope the tarp corners and pull. Two decent sized men should have no problem with this. If it's not too gamey then they might take it, and if it is the state road kill department can come and get it Monday-if they put it by the side of the road. And a local hunt club (fox hunters) might come and take it for the hounds if it isn't too old too.

KR-some day you'll look back on this and laugh. Of course, it might take a few years to really be funny.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Default Intrigued

I'm so intrigued by the outcome of this.. please do post back and update us when a soluton is found!

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The local fire department may oblige.

That would be my thought also; it could be a training exercise.

KR...PM me and remind me again where in CT your place is. If close enough, I'll go haul it out. (it's a deer, not a moose, right? 300 lbs or less I can handle no problem, more than that might be pushing it, LOL)

If it's close enough to anyone I know, I'll see about making some calls. It's an inground? Shouldn't be a tough one. Gross, but not tough.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    KR...PM me and remind me again where in CT your place is. If close enough, I'll go haul it out. (it's a deer, not a moose, right? 300 lbs or less I can handle no problem, more than that might be pushing it, LOL)

If it's close enough to anyone I know, I'll see about making some calls. It's an inground? Shouldn't be a tough one. Gross, but not tough.
    Rope it by both hind legs low and have someone helping heave it over the edge of the pool and drag it to the pickup.

Yup, pretty much. I'm betting at this point a head or other area to rope wouldn't work so well...might have been marinating a while and be a little...erm...soft.

Can't be more than a few hundred lbs, I'm thinking a simple rope-n-drag.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Gotta love COTH & everyone here - always somethin' brewing & lots of help to boot! All the entertainment anyone could ask for right here...and educational as well!
    Can't wait to hear the end result.

Really could make a reality show from this forum.

Please don't post the pictures
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine