The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old Stinky Stable =(

Soo...after the long, freezing winter the weather here in the great white north has finally warmed up. Yesterday it was 80 degrees in the afternoon, and when I walked into my barn the first think I noticed was the smell...arrrggh!! The girls stalls are clean, it's not so much a messy stalls smell, it seems to be almost coming out of wood and floor - the barn was empty (and not particularly cleaned up) for probably 15 years before we bought the place in the fall...

Do any of you fine folks have suggestions on ways to get rid of the stink? Is it possible to neutralize the smell? This will not be fun in the summer =(

Hmm, my first step would probably be to powerwash. Then stain and seal the wood, which I think would help with the smell. I've never had a problem like this though.

I spray down my stalls with lysol and that gives the whole barn a lemony-fresh scent. I also keep the barn really airy and open all the time, so if you haven't opened windows/leave aisle doors open, do that. Is the wood in good shape? What kind of floor do you have?

1 members found this post helpful.

Liming the stalls, floors, aisle, might help neutralize some of the smells. Works on dirt and cement. You might want to pull stall floor dirt out, if it is what came with the barn and wasn't replaced as you refurbished the barn to use it.

Powerwash always seems extreme on unfinished wood, since it drives moisture into the layers, to cause separation of the wood fibers. Washing with flat brooms is harder, but not as harsh on the wood itself.

Then regular applicatons of lime to the stalls, floors, to see if it helps to diminish the smell over time. The pelleted lime form works, as well as the powdered lime form. You want GOOD ventilation, moving air with the powdered form, so you are not breathing it in, because it will hang in the air for a bit. So a paper mask, goggles, would be good to wear when spreading the powdered lime form inside the barn area. I prefer the powdered form, stays in place better for me, but take precautions when using it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Get some KOE and use it after giving the barn a good cleaning and powerwashing. KOE = Kennel Odor Eliminator. It is cheap, a small bottle makes many, many gallons of spray, and it works. YOu can buy it on eBay, or just do a google search. It's good stuff.

Thanks so much for the ideas. The entire floor, aisle and stalls (unfortunately) are all concrete...It's been powerwashed, and the walls are painted wood, it in okay shape but it's all old and hasn't been cared for at all for years.... I just don't want the horses to have to breath in fumes all summer =(

The KOE will kill it. Just spray down the floors and walls.