The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default *sigh* how to humanely dispatch a chicken? Upd #76 she's gone

My "sick" (which is probably actually injured, probably spinal) hen is just not getting better, and has gotten worse this week. This morning she was not interested in her banana - the food she'll run you over for It's been 2 1/2 weeks in her own little coop and I've finally come to the decision she's just not going to get over this

I certainly don't want her to just starve to death, but I *cannot* bring myself to put hands on her to end it. I DO have injectable calcium, which I got to try to treat the egg-bound hen, and in reading up on that, I read if you give too much you can cause cardiac arrest and kill them.

So the question is - if I OD her on that, will it *definitely* put her down and will it *definitely* be quick? I certainly don't want that to end up just putting her into terrible convulsions or something before it ends
    Last edited by JB; Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Dry ice will do it. Put a bowl with the dry ice in a rubber maid or similar container. Put the hen in the rubber maid container, add water to the dry ice, and close the lid. It will be over quickly. The one time I had to do this, it was less than a minute.

I'm so sorry.

Snap her neck. It sounds bad, but she won't feel a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    Dry ice will do it.
    Where does the average person get dry ice?

That phrase "running around like a chicken wth it's head cut off" is what happens. That's why the cones are so popular. So don't get all oogy and think you've done it wrong if you break its neck and it goes into its death throes.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I would think that snapping its neck would be a quicker death than the dry ice method, but obviously it requires more "hands-on" attention.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Beg Grandma to do the deed.
    Then you will be gently teased a bit.

Again - I CANNOT bring myself to put hands on this girl and snap her neck. I just can't. Can't can't can't. I probably could if she was severely injured and in distress and pain but she's none of those.

1 minute of "dry ice killing" doesn't sound humane, unless it just sort of puts them to sleep.

The only "grandma" around (my stepmom) is one who had to give away a chicken when she was younger because she couldn't kill it to eat it (which is why it was given to her in the first place) lol And I just cannot ask hubby to snap her neck either. He might offer, but I'm not going to ask.

Take her to the vet and ask them to do it for you.
    They may use gas or who knows what.

3 members found this post helpful.

engine starter fluid (in a spray can) is ether- I know people who use it to kill english house sparrows- and it's said to be very humane and fast- but I don't know how it would work with a larger bird. They put the bird in a small enclosed container and spray it in- birds die almost instantly but they leave the container closed for a while. I only know the neck snap for chickens- but obviously you seem to be wanting an alternative.

Would something like Ace work? I know our vet has advised me to use it for sick feral cats in our neighborhood. He said to add a few cc's to some food and the cat will basically just "fall asleep". The cat disappeared before I had to use it (I assume he passed away on his own) but might be worth a call to your vet?

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I wouldn't be able to snap her neck, either.

Take her to the vet and have her euthanized. And hugs to you.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

3 members found this post helpful.

Axe, pail and a wooden stump.

I've had to euthanize a chicken before and I chopped off her head and then put her inside a pail to control the post mortem movement. It's not as hands on as snapping the neck or cutting it with a knife and it is very humane.

CO2 narcosis (so essentially what people are saying with the dry ice) is one of the most acceptable forms of euthanasia for lab animals (including poultry, as determined by animal care & use committees nationwide). If you can get your hands on dry ice and a cooler, I'd go that route.

As for where to get the dry ice, I'm not sure where the "general public" gets it. My workplace orders a lot of things that need to be shipped frozen, so we always have an abundance of it.

2 members found this post helpful.

We take our to the vet too. Neither my husband or I could cut their heads off or snap their necks although I imagine it would be relatively quick and painless. Last year I did suffocate one by putting her in a plastic bag (vet was closed, I was home alone and one of my friends told me to do it). It was not pleasant and I would never do it again Ugh, still feel horrible about it. Some people tease us about taking them to the vets for euth but we feel like its the best option

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Where does the average person get dry ice?
    Used to be you could get it at the grocery store. Imagine you still can? You do have to be 18.

http://www.dryiceideas.com/wheretopurchase/

Yep--inputting my address here pops all the local grocery stores.

JB, do you have any friends or neighbors who slaughter their own chickens? Otherwise, the vet sounds like the best bet. Maybe your large animal vet would even come out and help you, versus having to take the chicken in to a small animal vet?

Now I understand why it seems to 'unavailable' to me. It came up with 'no results found' for my area.

Some ice cream stores have dry ice.

Check with a local store that does a lot of camping / backpacking. They should know where to find it also.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Now I understand why it seems to 'unavailable' to me. It came up with 'no results found' for my area.
    Try this?

http://www.dryicedirectory.com/usa.htm

Or google dry ice and your town?

AFAIK, there aren't laws against selling it to adults...

You can get dry ice at our supermarket, and I'm happy to learn of this "trick" because if my damn hens keep flying over their 7-foot-high enclosure I'm going to dispatch them and get new, fat ones that don't fly at all!
    Click here before you buy.