The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    I'm in central PA.

monstrpony, I am totally with you. I almost didn't want to post out story for fear that other people would discover the joy of a nice QH brain and drive prices up still further! Lol!
    You have LOTS of options in Central PA. Just to name a few

Adrienne Cober - She has some AWESOME horses (Strictly Show horses)
    Kim & Renee Myers
    Doug Ruppert

I'm sure I've missed a bunch.

If you want to show AQHA possibly check out the state show in Centre Hall, I believe it's in May. Otherwise maybe check out some local shows.

Thanks for the names! Like I said, I didn't even know they were there and I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

I've been to some of the PQHA shows as a visitor (when there's a horse show in Centre Hall I try to stop in, no matter what it is!) - they seemed great. Had zero idea how affordable they were! Truly!

I don't show at all, but grew up on Welsh/Thoroughbred cross ponies (and other good ponies). As a scaredy-cat re-rider of 62, I LOVE my quarter horse! Western trained but willing to put up with my hunter riding, she is a dream. Congratulations- you are going to be so happy!

[QUOTE=showidaho;6945109 Unfortunately, the AQHA hunter world is quite small so there are not a ton of options for you . I would second supershorty's training suggestion, even if it's just for help at shows, even though I know she's not in your area. If you show the AQHA shows only the majors offer over fence classes with any real points up for grabs. QUOTE]

This is an important point - not all QH shows that list over fences classes have good fences, footing, judges with a clue, or even more than one or two entries. The major trainers and exhibitors do concentrate on those shows that are good in all the above categories, which results in lots of entries and a good experience. It is worth it to travel to those shows.

Do not forget that some local regular H-J show managers are holding AQHA Special Events at local approved or schooling shows, in which just the over fence classes can be held separate from an entire AQHA show, with an AQHA approved judge (usually specialty carded/dual with USEF R or r) and AQHA points awarded.
    These would be great to seek out.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by heathermac246 View Post
    One of the best moving USEF hunters in our area is an AQHA. Youtube “Secret work of art” and you’ll see him. He’s amazing and does the children’s 3’ with ease.
    He is LOVELY. In the future I have thought about buying a QH and doing some of the AQHA shows and would be ecstatic to find one like that.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

"One of the best moving USEF hunters in our area is an AQHA. Youtube “Secret work of art” and you’ll see him. He’s amazing and does the children’s 3’ with ease."

Truly, not many QHs trot like that, with so much air time. Years ago, The Lark Ascending (Lynn Palm) did, and HUS judges did not quite know what to do with him. The stallion Allocate Your Assets does and many of his get also do.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

He is probably one of the best moving Qh's and Hunter that I've seen in a long time...very very nice! Jealous of the kid that gets to ride him and show him in the children's...

I agree. Most of them are not moving like him, but he is awesome to watch! He's neat over fences too. So slow off the ground and really tight knees. Just a cool horse!

I agree, Secret Work of Art is quite a freak mover. The trouble in finding a horse like that is that if you get one that has been started towards the AQHA circuits, they have been very "pleasure" trained already at 2 years old, so finding one that is started and geared towards USHJA hunters is pretty tough, and converting one from breed circuit way of going isn't necessarily easy.

I think that is one of the biggest barriers to having QHs showing on the A circuit. Many amateurs don't want to relearn how to ride to make a breed circuit trained horse go like a USHJA type horse, and not many want to buy yearlings and start from scratch. Having ridden a pretty nice WP/All-Around APHA horse, it is a very different feel from regular hunters, and quite a different set of aids used.

I think anyone would want a horse that moved like Secret Work of Art. Hubba hubba!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Appendix QH was the American answer to the WB before the WB Invasion. I rode a nice one as a kid-- big, good moving, pretty and a puppy-dog mind. If I had a lot of money, I'd build an Appendix QH USEF Hunter Breeding Empire. Love the Appendix horses!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Default enjoy!

I have shown both the breed shows (AQHA/APHA - World Show level) and the rated Hunter shows. I think far too many people silo-out the two...a combo of the two 'styles' would be an excellent product. The AQHA folks get their horses so broke that you can do anything with them (I'm sure you've seen the bridleless classes) and lots of care is given to show ring prep (never show without braids or bands). The people are tremendously friendly! Of course, you'll find controversy anywhere these days so every discipline has it's black eyes....but all in all, I'd go to a quarter or paint show anytime. The QHs have started a Derby series - eventually I hope they get the Open level to the 3'6" and 4' heights...but it's also pretty cool that they have gotten a series sponsored at a 2'6" level to give novice and junior riders the opportunity to participate.

My conclusion is this - horsemen are horsemen. The upper echelons of all levels have a lot more in common than we give them credit for. The lower levels are where the prejudices occur (IMHO). I'd take a fancy QH any day of the week - have fun!!!

And another thing!

The influence of patterns from gaming and trail riding make for some tough equitation classes. No, they don't look hard, but then when you see the precision involved and things like multiple lead changes in a shallow serpentine, you have to ask how the flat phases of USEF Big Eq classes can be so primitive.

Holy mole, those AQHA horses are broke!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And another thing!

The influence of patterns from gaming and trail riding make for some tough equitation classes. No, they don't look hard, but then when you see the precision involved and things like multiple lead changes in a shallow serpentine, you have to ask how the flat phases of USEF Big Eq classes can be so primitive.

Holy mole, those AQHA horses are broke!
    My QH did two tempis simply from learning how to do the work for eq classes. No, they weren't dressage expressive but they were uphill and most definitely back to front correct. I have joked about sending my TB to a QH person to get him over any issues he has because of how broke a QH is - I just have a feeling with his temperament it might not go over so well... there are times I definitely miss having a quarter horse, though!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

When I lived in Nevada and showed locally in a HJ circuit, there was a woman who was HIGHLY successful in the flat and OF with her AQHA gelding. She used the local HJ to get ready for bigger AQHA classes! She rocked and her horse was amazing.