The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best inexpensive turnout sheets?

I am going to try a different approach to my T/O sheets; instead of buying expensive sheets that I try to keep going for several seasons and constantly wash and re-proof and repair, I am going to purchase cheap ones ($70 or less) and be happy with trashing them after a couple of seasons. I have spent more repairing my Orican sheets than I would have just buying new cheaper ones.
    There are several options: Jeffers own brand looks interesting, the Amigo Mio, Tough1, the Shires Tempest, Gladiator, etc. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I still want something that fits decently and stays waterproof for a while. I don't need bells and whistles.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

My BO's red and blue Amigo Mio has held up pretty well, but our horses generally aren't rough on blankets.

I have Horseman's Outlet's (shop in NJ) house brand, Noreasta, and it's held up well in the two years I've owned it and it's still waterproof. My last t/o sheet, a Schneider's, was soaking through after two years and the fit was horrible on my little Arab.

Both sheets were less than $80.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have some SStack blankets that I think were in that price range that did ok. Not a fan of Tough1.

Check out ebay too. I have gotten some great deals on "Champion" horse blankets. Not sure if they make sheets though...but thinking other brands may blow out old stock on ebay?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

If you don't need 1200D, I really like the Shires Tempest:

http://shop.shiresequestrian.com/p/t...in-sheet?pp=12

There were also some really good deals out recently in the clearance sales-- I bought a Rambo no-fill turnout for $60 at Cheshire Horse in NH.

I am a big fan of Schneiders blankets. I dont know what breed of horse you have but I have a tb who is about 15.3 and it fits him beautifully. Great price, waterproof and so far no tears. Hope this helps.

I bought a McAlister sheet from horseloverz.com and even with my horses turn out buddy who likes to maul him it is holding up. I think it was $64
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've had poor luck with Schneider's, so I'm looking to avoid them.
    soloudinhere: Have you used the Tempest yourself? Did it seem really flimsy? Waterproofing OK?
    Will check out all of the other suggestions. I really wish that more sheets came with mesh or cotton lining. Very hard to find anything other than nylon.

Bucas has a Freedom line that is less expensive -- I think it might only be 600 denier -- but the turnout sheet I have has done pretty well for my guy. I like that it is quite lightweight (but nylon, not mesh lined) and the fit is good on him but might not be large enough in the chest/neck for some of the wider horses.

I also have some Masta sheets that are mesh lined that were pretty nicely made and have lasted well. I'm not sure where you can get those now -- I think I picked mine up on close out or on ebay. They certainly stayed waterproof and the only reason two of them are in my sewing room for repair are due to a certain warmblood that liked to eat the linings when he was younger (the outsides stayed intact and fully waterproof; he just reached up and tore the lining out).

I have the 600 denier Amigo turnout sheets for warm weather, just to keep my horse clean in the mud, but they are not very durable at all. I kind of look at those as disposable so try to buy them super cheap. My horses do not go out together or they would be shredded in no time at all.

horsepoor, I could only find the Freedom sheet at one shop in the US, and it is $120, so I think that one is a no-go. I will take a look at the Mastas.

I also found a contestant in the Rod's catlogue http://www.rods.com/600d-h20-sheet-30.html
    May be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    horsepoor, I could only find the Freedom sheet at one shop in the US, and it is $120, so I think that one is a no-go.
    Sorry - I thought they were less. I probably got mine on sale as I remember it as less than $75...but it is an obnoxious (to some) pale green that I actually really like!

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've had poor luck with Schneider's, so I'm looking to avoid them.
    soloudinhere: Have you used the Tempest yourself? Did it seem really flimsy? Waterproofing OK?
    Will check out all of the other suggestions. I really wish that more sheets came with mesh or cotton lining. Very hard to find anything other than nylon.
    my horse had a tempest and except for being sold on and new horse being a different size I would still have it. Held up fine and I like the way the shires blankets fit.

I've had good luck with the Saxon turnouts in both 600D and 1200D. They need to be waterproofed every year, but they're pretty cheap and I've had a couple for 3 winters. Horse.com usually has them for less than $70, especially if you wait for a discount code. I've got QH, both foundation and appendix style.

I've had good luck with the 600D Centaur blankets and sheets, and that is in a herd of 6 including 3 rambunctious brothers that like to play-fight and play tug o war. We are on our 5th season with only minor repairs (including one that ripped all but the last hole and first hole out of his front closures after doing his best impersonation of a pro-baseball play sliding into home plate )
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/sa...eet/SLT723071/

I have a Saxon sheet I picked up on sale for $29.00 that has lived through two winters of almost constant use - and some use in the spring and the fall. It has held up wonderfully. I toss it in a top loader washer - cleans up great. Still water proof - very little wear. Great investment. An 81" fits my 16.2 big bodied mare (although the drop is not very deep).

Most of the Tough-1 blankets I have come across are junk (I do the nightly blanketing at my boarding barn, so I touch a lot of different brands). The Tough-1's come apart at the seams.

I've had good luck with the Mud Turtle sheet by Turtleneck Premium Horse Clothes

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up ordering a couple of Gladiator Thelon sheets, as I was able to find them on clearance at Classic Saddlery, and they have a 1200 denier shell and mesh lining. They have a 2 year warranty for the waterproofing, which is great. Will update this when I try them out.

The Gladiator sheets are awesome. I have three and they have held up really well. Good value.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    The Gladiator sheets are awesome. I have three and they have held up really well. Good value.
    Good to hear! Thanks for the feedback.

Default Amigo Mio

I second the Amigo Mio recommendation. Has the great fit and waterproofing of the Rambo line, but in an inexpensive model. It's not heavy duty though, so if your horse tends to shred blankets, pick something else. But if your horse is not too hard on them, this would be my top choice.

If you horse is hard on blankets, I'd choose the Dover Northwind sheet. It comes with a 2 year guarantee against rips and fits great!

Well, not exactly what you meant with this thread, but I have to say I have a Horze Avalanche with neck that has lasted almost 8 winters without any repairs... that thing is a beast!