The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Washing Dog Blankets

I do have one dog blanket that's a Rambo so I know I can wash it with my Rambo Blanket Wash the I use for the horse blankets. I'm not sure if I can use the Rambo Blanket Wash though for some of the other blankets. I have one from Dover that has a fleece lining and another that has a non-waterproof nylon exterior with fleece lining and other that's just fleece.

I'm probably going to call Dover to see what they suggest but I do trust COTH dog owners to relay what they use to wash their dog blankets come spring.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

What?! 54 people have looked at this thread but no one washes dog blankets? What do you do, toss them out?!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

In all honesty, it never even occurred to me to wash my dog blankets in any special manner or to worry about the waterproofing. My dogs aren't often out (at least not for long) in the WET. Cold, yes. Wet, no.

So I just put them in the washer and wash with Tide, or All, or whatever it is we use, and then into the dryer.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, ours just have homemade fleece ones and they go in the wash with some baby soap, what's it called, Dreft?
    Quarry Rat

Mosey_2003, I think your Dreft baby soap is a low detergent like I used to use on horse blankets so if your fleece ones, (some of mine are fleece or fleece-lined), I'd probably be OK with the Rambo Blanket Wash on all of them.

Thanks to both you Simkie for your responses.

Now, just to wait for warmer weather to finally get and stay here.

Thanks again.
    Sue

I have yet to wash any of my dogs blankets. I have a Triple Crown and 2 Dover with the fleece inside.

My dogs are out in the yard a lot playing and rough housing but their coats don't get really that dirty.

I suppose I would just was them in whatever I had at the time.