The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weak hind end, proprioceptive ataxia RH, can't get up, now had a seizure - what am I?

24-year-old WB mare, neck injury in Nov, best friend died in Dec, right dorsal colitis from NSAIDs in mid-Jan, 5 days in clinic, injected neck, been on soaked pelleted diet, Sucrulfate, Succeed, YeaSacc, Ranitidine ever since. On Legend 1x/month. Lay down and couldn't get up last week, vet said hocks and stifles sore. Injected those, started her on Prevacox (with fingers crossed for her colon) last Weds. She went down again today and couldn't get up. No distress, just lay there, tried to get up a few times but hind end just wouldn't cooperate. Took an hour for the vet to arrive so she drank some water and nibbled at the grass while she lay there. Vet got there just in time for a seizure - eyes gone, tongue hanging out, hind legs paddling, totally non-responsive. Seizure stopped, mare jumped up like all was fine. Vet and I totally WTF? Random search equine seizures turned up hypo-phosphatemia which Sucrulfate has been linked to in rare cases. That's my best idea. Anybody else seen this?

No idea! But just wanted to say i'm sorry you and your mare are going thru this

1 members found this post helpful.

I hope a cure will be found soon, because if not, it may be time for euthanasia. A horse that cannot rise is not only stressed by that, but at risk for other problems developing by being down. Good luck, and keep us posted. Cyber hugs in advance if this is Rainbow Bridge time.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Has the possibility of a brain tumour been raised?
    Jingles for your mare! It sounds like you take excellent care of her.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Stroke, maybe?
    Click here before you buy.

Neck injury/arthritis affecting the hind end. Not sleeping since having trouble getting up and down, hence narcoleptic type episode. My gelding absolutely looks like he is having a seizure when this happens, but looks amazingly calm/normal when he snaps out of it. Just my best guess...

Maybe neuro from the neck injury or something like epm. Stroke is another thought as well as said above, a tumor pushing somewhere. Brain, spine etc.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

My friend's horse started having seizures and eventually they figured out it was EPM. It took a while to diagnose because he really didn't have other symptoms.

So sorry; I hope you can find an answer for your mare.

Being unable to rise is probably the biggest fear for a prey animal. I hope you can prevent that from happening again but if not I would let her go. Jingles.

2 members found this post helpful.

In other species, pain stimulation in the spinal column can cause seizure.

I would question the transition into arthritis in the neck causing a Wobbler like ataxia and pain.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

In my experience, anything that causes seizures in a 24 year old horse is more insidious than a mineral imbalance. I'm sorry you and your girl are going through this and I hope you get to the bottom of the mystery very soon.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

OP, how are you doing? And your mare? Here's hoping that you're both enjoying some spring weather!
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory