The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You and I saw the same Chris. IMO, he was hard on the CU students, too. He wanted to win and made that happen. God help you if you didn't have something to offer him; hard work wouldn't do it. The "in it to win it" approach did help put CU's program on the map.

With so many trainers and barns in Ithaca, I got tired of the "lots of sizzle and no steak." That is to say that pros wanted to look the full service part. But the improvement to horse and rider weren't forthcoming.

You can count on Ithaca barns to feed, clean and TO as they explain and as you see when you check them out. Beyond that, you need to be hands on with the rest of your horse's care. Then it's not so bad. But accept this fact first.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    "Big Easy" is run by some 5'2", 90lb young lady who is extremely professional and appears super competent. She seriously inspired in me the desire to take notes.
    Was she nee Keller and based in a very pretty Skaneanteles farm way back? I remember the care looking good there from the outside.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Was she nee Keller and based in a very pretty Skaneanteles farm way back? I remember the care looking good there from the outside.
    Seriously I can not recall her current name, much less her nee name.

And damn you for making me commence googling and get PTSD all over again.

I heard that person got out of horses entirely, but I don't know if that is a fact.

Seriously I can not recall her current name, much less her nee name.

And damn you for making me commence googling and get PTSD all over again.
    Where's the T in that pTsd and that video?

Friends at home, this wasn't filmed at any of the Ithaca farms discussed so far. It is the second-largest indoor in the area. But that barn has other things working against it. Sigh.

Oh, but a totally funny story about those mirrors, some alcohol, horse teeth the BO's BF... and alcohol.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Where's the T in that pTsd and that video?
    That's.... not what I consider good riding and definitely not how I would want my horse to go. My barometric pressure drops waiting for the storm to hit.

Friends at home, this wasn't filmed at any of the Ithaca farms discussed so far. It is the second-largest indoor in the area. But that barn has other things working against it. Sigh.

Oh, but a totally funny story about those mirrors, some alcohol, horse teeth the BO's BF... and alcohol.
    Oh? I can tell you a totally funny story about lots and lots of alcohol, the BO, the above trainer's wife screaming at me in the driveway, the BO screaming at me in general, theft of bail money, accusations of adultery, DWI's, orange jump suits, and Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.
    Ran the gamut, really.

With so many trainers and barns in Ithaca, I got tired of the "lots of sizzle and no steak." That is to say that pros wanted to look the full service part. But the improvement to horse and rider weren't forthcoming.

You can count on Ithaca barns to feed, clean and TO as they explain and as you see when you check them out. Beyond that, you need to be hands on with the rest of your horse's care. Then it's not so bad. But accept this fact first.
    Probably should have mentioned that my expectations are negotiable - I gave the in-a-perfect-world conditions. Basically I'm looking to bring one of my horses up to school with me so I can keep myself in good enough riding shape to ideally compete in the Lows over the summer/ on breaks with my current trainer. Right now the main thing I'm looking for is good footing, turnout, horse care, and a good/honest horse person to oversee it. In terms of training/ instruction, I mainly need someone to work with on the flat and over gymnastics to keep my and whichever horse I bring in shape- I threw out the GP level training as an ideal kind of thing. Doesn't have to be full care, I've taken care of my own horses for years. In addition, ideally someone who is able to exercise my horse if I by the off chance can't make it due to a scheduling conflict or schoolwork overload - she's still green on the flat so this would be a training ride type thing.

Does anyone have more info on the current coach (Karn)? He seemed like a nice guy, and when the school's facilities didn't look like an option I was considering keeping my horses with him (even though he is far away). However, he cancelled two meetings on me so I never got to meet him (also didn't leave the best impression).

In terms of commute, I'm doing 45 minutes now and think its doable, but I'm hesitant to assume that would work out in a college situation, which is why I gave a half hour. Parents definitely wouldn't go for ship-ins to Westchester. If I had to do something an hour or so away then I would consider it, but it's not ideal.

Thank you all for your suggestions ! Please keep them coming. I really love the school, so I'm hoping to be able to work something out.

Probably should have mentioned that my expectations are negotiable - I gave the in-a-perfect-world conditions. Basically I'm looking to bring one of my horses up to school with me so I can keep myself in good enough riding shape to ideally compete in the Lows over the summer/ on breaks with my current trainer. Right now the main thing I'm looking for is good footing, turnout, horse care, and a good/honest horse person to oversee it. In terms of training/ instruction, I mainly need someone to work with on the flat and over gymnastics to keep my and whichever horse I bring in shape- I threw out the GP level training as an ideal kind of thing. Doesn't have to be full care, I've taken care of my own horses for years. In addition, ideally someone who is able to exercise my horse if I by the off chance can't make it due to a scheduling conflict or schoolwork overload - she's still green on the flat so this would be a training ride type thing.

Does anyone have more info on the current coach (Karn)? He seemed like a nice guy, and when the school's facilities didn't look like an option I was considering keeping my horses with him (even though he is far away). However, he cancelled two meetings on me so I never got to meet him (also didn't leave the best impression).

In terms of commute, I'm doing 45 minutes now and think its doable, but I'm hesitant to assume that would work out in a college situation, which is why I gave a half hour. Parents definitely wouldn't go for ship-ins to Westchester. If I had to do something an hour or so away then I would consider it, but it's not ideal.

Thank you all for your suggestions ! Please keep them coming. I really love the school, so I'm hoping to be able to work something out.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;6943110]That's.... not what I consider good riding and definitely not how I would want my horse to go. My barometric pressure drops waiting for the storm to hit.

Easy girl. You know nothing about that horse. It can be a little bit of a run-a-way. Can't you see it wants to get a little 'up' in the video?

And what's the old adage about those living in glass houses not throwing stones? Altho perhaps your customers have perfect horses that you ride perfectly that go perfectly in a perfect frame? Really?

2 members found this post helpful.

The girl who runs Big Easy is Sara Potter - this is their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/BigEasyStable

It was a nice looking place when I was looking for a place to board my horse in Cortland, but I couldn't afford it when they didn't even have an indoor or turn out sheds at that point... I found it strange that I had to pay an extra $225 if I wanted them to change out my horse's blankets during part of the year.. But it was on top of a hill and kind of awkward to get there.

There is also a place called Strawberry Fields in Cortland, and If Only Farms is closer to Ithaca.

And MHM, I've made the travel from Ithaca to Caz many a time and maybe I'm a grandma driver, but it takes quite long to get there. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it in time and gas alone.

Quote Originally Posted by shedllybip View Post
    That's.... not what I consider good riding and definitely not how I would want my horse to go. My barometric pressure drops waiting for the storm to hit.

Easy girl. You know nothing about that horse. It can be a little bit of a run-a-way. Can't you see it wants to get a little 'up' in the video?

And what's the old adage about those living in glass houses not throwing stones? Altho perhaps your customers have perfect horses that you ride perfectly that go perfectly in a perfect frame? Really?
    While your incessant need to crawl out of whatever woodwork and take snipes at me whenever the opportunity arises on COTH continues unabated to make you look really professional, and if you would let someone ride your horse like that I suppose that's up to you, but I did, in fact, know quite a bit about my own horse, personally experienced other boarders who told me that the beatings he was getting undersaddle when I wasn't around were upsetting THEIR horses, was unfortunately a witness to several schooling sessions of other people's horses since even after I stopped riding with him we still boarded at the same farm, and while I certainly do not ride perfectly in all moments I can also state with certainty that no horse has ever tried to FRANTICALLY CLIMB OUT OF THE ARENA with me on it.

I'm prepared to quit now, but if you would like me to go ahead, there's more where that came from. The letter I wrote to lodge a formal complaint with Cornell's administration was several pages long and covered an extensive range of unethical behavior and we have not even gotten started.

Your call.

I have managed to "let go and forgive" the trainer who stole and sold two of my sale horses to the tune of ~$25,000 because while she cheated me financially she did not mistreat the horses. Just to put in perspective that I have a great capacity for forgiveness and even $25k will not get me to carry a grudge. If you want a grudge from me you have to seriously earn it. Your little attempts to make little snarks at me every time you get the chance over whatever internet butthurt you hold dear to your heart do not even register. I save it for when it really, REALLY counts.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    And MHM, I've made the travel from Ithaca to Caz many a time and maybe I'm a grandma driver, but it takes quite long to get there.
    I'm sure it would, if you went all the way to Syracuse first via Route 81. I know people who commute to work from Cazenovia to Ithaca five days a week. They don't go through Syracuse to do it.

It is still the closest place that has what the OP asked for in the first post, quoted below, although now it seems the first post was perhaps not so accurate. It's up to the OP to decide how much gas and time s/he is willing to spend to satisfy his/her needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by stickwithit View Post
    In an ideal world trainer would be able to train/ride at the High A/O/ Low Grand Prix level.

A girl I used to know rode with Todd Karn - she had nothing but nice things to say and he found her a great mount. I've heard good things about him in general but don't know anything personally or first hand.

Oh? I can tell you a totally funny story about lots and lots of alcohol, the BO, the above trainer's wife screaming at me in the driveway, the BO screaming at me in general, theft of bail money, accusations of adultery, DWI's, orange jump suits, and Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.
    Ran the gamut, really.
    I haven't watched him ride much. There were some team horses that always went in draw reins. CM looks like that from what I remember. Nothing to write home about and hard to see what teaching of the horse was happening there. I, too, was waiting for "the head to spin around backwards" and the horse to wonder WTF and Holy Mother of God, how do I make it stop?

Your version of "things gone wrong" at that farm were more spectacular than when I was there. But that is how alcoholism works. It's a progressive disease. OTOH, I knew the young couple who lived upstairs and worked for the BO. Apparently that was not a good job to have, yet hard to leave if you were broke, unskilled and cared about the horses in your care.

What did keep things happy long ago was the BO who liked Rob Bielefeld.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

[QUOTE=shedllybip;6943279]

I believe that is meupatdoes' horse.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

OTOH, I knew the young couple who lived upstairs and worked for the BO. Apparently that was not a good job to have, yet hard to leave if you were broke, unskilled and cared about the horses in your care.
    Btw, they have their own place now. It's super cute and they are doing well.

I believe that is meupatdoes' horse.
    No, Pleasant Divorce is/was not.

No, Pleasant Divorce is/was not.
    Gotcha.

Back OT for the OP:

If you just want boarding, a few places might work: If Only Farm, the Big Easy Place meupatdoes mentioned, Corner Haven (though farther out), Healing Rein Farm and Stoneybrook Farm. The couple who run Stoneybrook are probably the most straight-forward to deal with.

In each case, you'll find something you wish were different. That might not be unique to Ithaca. I can't think of any private barns to send you to, mainly because they won't have large indoors and you'll still have to meet the BO, see the place and decide if you can life with it's particular limits. In your spot, I'd spend my first semester with the horse at home while I checked out places in person.

As far as riding goes, you will have to share with lessons if you want to ride during the afternoons. Your best bet for getting the kind of rider you want will be the college students and grad students who bring their horses and/or knowledge from elsewhere. Besides having that "imported" skill you want, you will be able to have them ride the way you want and maybe do things like set poles for you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Btw, they have their own place now. It's super cute and they are doing well.
    We are talking about different couples. You might mean the pair who run Healing Rein. I don't know if they lived on the farm, but she had her business there in that back Morton building. Incidentally, I think she grew up at If Only Farm.

Sorry for the OT detour.

OP, I'm PMing you the place of one more place not to go in Ithaca. It might be obvious that it won't work from looking at the TO, but the BO was notorious for being hard to deal with in a "beyond normal limits" kind of way.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

OP, I currently live in Ithaca. PM me if you want some current info.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever