The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Places to keep a Grand Prix Jumper in/near Ithaca, NY?

Hi all! I'm potentially moving to Ithaca, NY for school next year, and a major deciding factor of whether I go would be the possibilities surrounding bringing my horse with me. Horse is a High A/O/ Grand Prix jumper who has a bit of personality in the barn and under saddle. I would be going there for college, so something close to the town (under a half hour) would be ideal if possible. Boarding at the barn the school keeps their riding team's horses at isn't really in the cards right now. In an ideal world trainer would be able to train/ride at the High A/O/ Low Grand Prix level. Thank you for your help !

I did grad school at Cornell. Ithaca is not awash in the kind of training knowledge you need. You have a PM. I will call an honest but lower level pro trainer buddy of mine in Syracuse and see if she can think of anywhere to send you. It probably won't be within that half-hour drive you'd like.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stickwithit View Post
    Hi all! I'm potentially moving to Ithaca, NY for school next year, and a major deciding factor of whether I go would be the possibilities surrounding bringing my horse with me. Horse is a High A/O/ Grand Prix jumper who has a bit of personality in the barn and under saddle. I would be going there for college, so something close to the town (under a half hour) would be ideal if possible. Boarding at the barn the school keeps their riding team's horses at isn't really in the cards right now. In an ideal world trainer would be able to train/ride at the High A/O/ Low Grand Prix level. Thank you for your help !
    AAAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA, *gasps for air*, HAHAHAHAHA.

I went to law school at Cornell.
    After the first year, I moved my horses to Leesburg, VA, lived in my trainer's house half the week, and rode them down there Thurs-Sun.

If that tells you anything.

3 members found this post helpful.

As far as horse shows in central NY, there are none that offer even the low AO jumpers, let alone the highs. There are pretty much no jumpers that are ridden by professionals, most are just children/adults (and even those are set low). You would have to travel to shows that are a few hours away to even find the low AOs. This means that there aren't many, if any, trainers that can ride at that level in the area. I would suggest to keep your horse at home and meet your horse and trainer at shows. If home is too far away, I would just do your own training and have your trainer meet you at shows, or have them suggest someone to meet you at shows if they aren't able to be there.

John and Beezie Madden are in Cazenovia, which is a little over an hour from Ithaca. Of course, they would be in Florida for part of the winter.

1 members found this post helpful.

The first thought that came to my mind was David Raposa's barn in Clinton at what was formerly White Fox Farm under his mother, but it looks like Clinton is 2 hours from Ithaca and it's not 100% clear if they offer board/training or are solely a sales operation now. His daughter is a lovely rider though if it's reflective of anything! It might be worth a call, contact info is at www.davidraposasales.com.

^ They do offer board and training, but it is a bit of a hike from Ithaca to Clinton. They also go to Florida in the winter.

Think even if there was somebody nearby, the school year and time you would be needing them would conflict with most major show circuits from late December thru early April. Elite level barns like you outline as fitting your needs are on the road with their top riders and horses most of the time.

Typically they would have somebody competent at home to care for the stay at home clients but...they generally are not currently competitive GP riders. More like 3'-3'6".

Can you do something like Meupatdoes did? Vists a more distant barn several consecutive days a week or every couple of weeks?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    John and Beezie Madden are in Cazenovia, which is a little over an hour from Ithaca. Of course, they would be in Florida for part of the winter.

It's way more than an hour. I used to live in Cortland (and Cazenovia since I went to school at Caz and have done the travel back and forth to their barn and past it since my home is in Albany) and going to Syracuse alone up the 81 from Cortland is 45 minutes away, plus another 20-30 to Cazenovia. Cortland is still 20 minutes North of Ithaca.

The Madden's place is on the OUTSKIRTS of Caz - basically in Nelson, NY between Caz and Morrisville. You're looking at almost a 2 hour drive to get there unless there's a faster route from Ithaca directly to Caz. Also be aware that Caz and its outskirts near Nelson are speed traps and there is no way to just buzz through. I would not say this is a viable option at all, especially since they're not really there most of the time.

You won't find anything you're looking for in Ithaca, or outside of Ithaca, especially in Cortland since that's just North of Ithaca. The only place that I can think of in Ithaca that actually does shows at all is If Only Farm and they're still not what you're looking for. There are a few shows in Syracuse like PHA, but still not at the level you're looking at. I'd personally either take others' advice about keeping your horse home or somewhere else distance-wise (look south!) where you can ride consecutive days a week.

A horseless very good OJ rider going to Ithaca, rides at Corner Haven Farm.
    https://www.facebook.com/CornerHavenFarm?fref=ts

http://www.equinenow.com/farm/corner_haven_farm.htm

PM if you want her name.
    Taking it day by day!

Quote Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
    A horseless very good OJ rider going to Ithaca, rides at Corner Haven Farm.
    https://www.facebook.com/CornerHavenFarm?fref=ts

http://www.equinenow.com/farm/corner_haven_farm.htm

PM if you want her name.
    OP, what I said about the farm I mentioned in my PM applies to Corner Haven, too. Of the two facilities, I think this one might be a little better if you want to run your own program and just choose a boarding stable.

It won't be as pretty, but it will have the arenas and footing that are comparable. In fact, I liked Corner Haven's outdoor ring a bit better. TO will be about the same. It will most likely be a tad cheaper and won't carry the this-n-that charges of the other, very full-service place.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Ahahahaha!! ... the "this and that charges."

God this brings back memories.

OP, if you are able to just board somewhere and meet your trainer at shows, there is a new barn called "Big Easy," which, while that sounds completely sketchy, is actually run as a very tight ship. Indoor will be too small to school bigger courses in the winter, but if you just need a place to board and keep your horse fit between trailer-outs and be able to trust that he is in the hands of competent people, it would be something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Ahahahaha!! ... the "this and that charges."

God this brings back memories.
    And the very hands-on HO who got these bills noticed mistakes just.about.every.month. It left a bad taste in her mouth, beyond the usual "what will I owe now?" that regularly happens with fee-for-service barns.

Who runs "Big Easy?" That must be a new invention. Is that the woman with the fat gray WB who had taught kids on ponies for Gary Duffy way, way back, husband had/has a hauling business? I can't think of another local who would start a place that might work for the OP. PM me if you want.

OP, you might do OK by picking a place that did the care you wanted, had the right footing and TO and doing your own training. You would be about 3-4 hours from Westchester County, making it possible to haul down there to your trainer of choice, spend a couple of days and come back home with a homework assignment.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

"Big Easy" is run by some 5'2", 90lb young lady who is extremely professional and appears super competent. She seriously inspired in me the desire to take notes.

My BFF needed a facility to train her youngster at and this is a place she can go where the care is great, the facility is someplace you can get things done, but you can ride on your own.

In other news, I recall one lesson I took at the other farm we are both discussing in which I was told so incessantly to release the inside rein, and there was no amount of inside rein releasing that would make them stop saying this, that finally I just stuck my inside arm STRAIGHT OUT and prayed to God for the experience to finally end. This after I pulled into the driveway, saw eleventy billion speed-related signs, and said to the passenger in my vehicle (also lessoning), "I think they are pretty hysterical about their driveway so I am going to drive really, reaaaalllllly slow" and commenced crawl. He was in the process of rolling his eyes and saying, "You can't be SERI..." when a woman in a bandana came flying down the driveway hollering at us to slow down. Apparently you need to let the car self-idle down the lane. Any depression of the gas pedal WHATSOEVER constitutes running the Indy 500.

meup-We gotcha!

You pointedly do not like the" other farm mentioned" .

Tis a wonder you survived law school there. 'Cause Ithaca is the back end of equestrian nowhere.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Tis a wonder you survived law school there. 'Cause Ithaca is the back end of equestrian nowhere.
    Well, it's ok if you do your riding in Virginia 4 days out of 7 for second year and flat out go to Germany and study/ride there for all of the third.

In all fairness, "the other farm mentioned" is at least not bat sh*t nuts. You could keep a horse there without being drunkenly assaulted or having your horse beat up for no reason, so it's a cut above some of the other options.

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    The Madden's place is on the OUTSKIRTS of Caz - basically in Nelson, NY between Caz and Morrisville. You're looking at almost a 2 hour drive to get there unless there's a faster route from Ithaca directly to Caz.
    The back-roads route does not take anything like two hours, but it's still over an hour, even in broad daylight and good weather. However, it's the closest option that meets the requirements described by the OP.

Is Todd Karn the coach at Cornell? He's a nice man and a good horseman.

Really?

That's a switcheroo from Chris Mitchell. FWIW, they had a hard time building a business there. Keeping a horse at Cornell's barn is out of the question, as the OP notes. The tough part for any trainer in Ithaca is finding a facility that's good enough (with a BO that doesn't have some big "impairments" blocking a good business acumen). And even if they can find that place, hard to get enough clients together.

I think Karn is a good horseman and I assume he is therefore a straight-up guy. I hope he can be the exception to the rule.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Really?

That's a switcheroo from Chris Mitchell. FWIW, they had a hard time building a business there. Keeping a horse at Cornell's barn is out of the question, as the OP notes. The tough part for any trainer in Ithaca is finding a facility that's good enough (with a BO that doesn't have some big "impairments" blocking a good business acumen). And even if they can find that place, hard to get enough clients together.

I think Karn is a good horseman and I assume he is therefore a straight-up guy. I hope he can be the exception to the rule.
    Chris Mitchell moved to Randolph to impart his horse-beatery there.
    They had trouble building a business because they were completely incompetent at their best and rough on the horses at their worst.
    Somehow he inspired my horse (a completely sane individual) to plunge forth through the indoor and try to JUMP OUT over the barrier between the ring and the stands. Horse flailed around on the wall for a bit before scrapey-sliding back down and the only thing that saved Chris's @$$ from hitting the bleachers was the polo net.
    And then there was a different horse that got loose and freaked out while being tacked up by Chris, and ran down the aisle and jumped INTO the ring over the gate.

One wonders what could possibly have inspired such reactions.

His Randolph bio says he is a member of the "American Horse Shows Association." Lol.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Apr. 16, 2013 at 08:06 PM.