The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Horse Magazine interview with Jan Greve

Lots of very interesting things he says in the interview. Lots of thoughts on OCD and the need for the canter in a dressage horse and how to decide what to breed to what.

This is a must read for breeders.

In fact, I'm reading all the archived articles in The Horse Magazine's breeding section and they are ALL interesting. Chris Hector is a very, very valuable resource and deserves huge compliments for his journalism and commentary on breeding.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

You need the power of a good mare. That is the part that people forget, you need the power of a family. If you don’t have much money you are better to buy not such a good mare from a good family than buy a good mare from a shit family – she will never breed, she doesn’t have the genes to breed. This mother was a very small Lucky Boy mare, 158 cm, I think she was a twin, she was born in the field but this little thing has bred unbelievable horses in dressage and showjumping. That’s a very strong mare. It is not always the individual that you look at – that’s a fault of the fashion world, they look too much for the special horse, they want a star mare or a kur mare. You need a good family, that’s the only thing that comes back.”

Wise words.

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

3 members found this post helpful.

Bingo ! I've been preaching it for years. Better to buy a mediocre mare from a powerful stamm than a super model from a shit stamm.

I deleted my last post because it was too wordy.

Very interesting reading. I'm not a breeder but I like to read about these things because it might come in handy while shopping.

This may be a subject for a different thread, but was Ratina Z's performance as a broodmare as much of a "dud" as he indicates? I looked her up on Horse Telex after learning about it on here. She has 8 listed, 2 showjumpers at an international level. The two early ones have reproduced very well, so well I'm surprised she went on to a showjumping career! Are the later ones not as good or is too early to tell? They seem quite young to be able to tell what their offspring will do.

Also, I was a bit taken back by his descriptions of orphans. I've ridden a couple and have been around a couple of others and although a little quirky they were good horses. The breeders must have known what they were doing when they raised them, as naturally I've heard horror stories too.

I used to ride a lot of horses that came from Jan Greve. My boss who dealt in eventers and dressage horses had a business relationship with him.
    I fell in love with one Julio Mariner gelding.