The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Since I recently moved because of this, I'll give the run-down of both facilities and how it was/is for my hunter (H) and my jumper (J).

Previous facility:

- How much turn out does your horse receive? (hours per day)

Both were receiving 2.5 hours a day

- How large is the area? Grass, dirt, etc?

Very small paddocks. Not even enough room to properly run around and buck. Completely dirt. I could NEVER get my horses totally clean because of this dirt.

- Is it a show facility? Where are you located?

It was not a show facility. It was located in the middle of a city.

- Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?

I was NOT happy with this. My hunter doesn't like turn out as much as grazing. He just was not getting it. I could never get the horses clean. My jumper really just needed more play room. He needed to get his wiggles out every day.

Current facility:

Both horses are turned out overnight during the summer or all day during the winter.

They are located in their own paddocks next door to each other. Each paddock is a couple acres of beautiful luscious grass. One of the paddocks (J's paddock) has a couple of hills. I put my jumper in this one because he enjoys running, playing, bucking. I have NEVER seen my hunter even want to play in the paddock. HE JUST WANTS TO EAT! Both paddocks have shelters, water basins, etc.

Yes it is a show facility. I am now driving about 1 hour (52 miles) to the barn. It is a huge change from my previous facility, which was 15 minutes at the most.

- Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?

I would never go back. The change in both of my horses is incredible. H could have done without the extra room. What he really needed and wanted was some serious grazing time. J needed the playroom though. He is doing so much better. His ground demeanor has completely changed.

2 members found this post helpful.

1. My horse is out about 7-8 hours a day. All group turnout is, individual horses get roughly 4 hours but it can vary depending on how many are going out.

2. I don't know the exact acreage, but he goes out with one other horse and there is more than enough space for them both. A couple more could easily fit in there, but the barn keeps them as a pair since it works so well. They love each other! It's a grass pasture.

3. Is it a show facility? Somewhat. We host some H/J shows for two of the local circuits, and a dressage show every summer. A handful of riders do the A circuit. We also have a lesson program and a large amount of riders who do not show - plenty just pleasure ride and trail ride. We are not a full service show barn by any means.

4. I LOVE my barn. There are a number of boarding barns within reasonable driving distance from me, so I'm not just stuck there. I truly love it.

My TB mare lives out 24/7 on a 7 acre grass pasture with 4 other mares. She gets grain 2x per day and hay 2x per day in the winter. Currently, they are getting some hay once per day as the grass is starting to come in. A few of the boarders show(1 does "A" level show hunters-her horses are on full board, a few event, I compete in some low level dressage and Combined Test as well as team penning, judged trail, hunter pace etc) The rest of the boarders play in the ring or do some light trail riding(the farm is 100 acres plus we have permission to ride on two neighboring farms which adds about another 100 acres). perfect combo for me.

Winter: horses are out 22-24 hours per day. Stalled horses come in to eat, but live outside otherwise. Blanketed, shelter, round bales in all turnouts.

Summer: Stall horses are in from around 8 AM to 6 PM, out the rest of the time. Other horses live out 24 hours.

LOVE this system. Who likes to clean stalls when it's freezing cold in the winter!? Stalls only have to be picked a few times a week in the winter (goes really fast, even with 35 stalls!). Stalls cleaned daily in the summer.

Turnouts are all dry lots, but they are large. The smallest pen is probably a half acre and has 5-6 horses and one round bale. Largest pen is probably about 5 acres, 15(or so) horses, and 2 round bales.

Ideally, horses would be turned out in smaller groups on grass, but then again, we don't have unlimited ground! We be sure to watch personalities and make sure the pens are not crowded.

We have AA Hunter/Jumper/Equitation horses, pleasure horses, boarded horses who rarely see owners, retired horses, babies, and even a few roping horses belonging to the owner's husband. We are located in Kansas.

I love the barn's system, but I do wish there were grass turnouts. That's just not an economical option when you have 65-70 horses in this area. I think the turnout situation here is wonderful, the horses are happy and healthy, and that is what matters the most!

When I had my horses at home, (3 TB mares) they were out 24/7 on about 2 acres that were mostly dry with weeds. They were happy and quiet. I'm down to one horse now and am boarding. She lives in a 24 x 24 corral with turn out in a larger paddock for about 1 hr. a day. She could use more time to run and could use a pal.
    It is a lovely facility with large rings and a huge grass jumping field which is very unusual for Southern Ca.

I'll give for the boarding facility we were at and home. We built a barn for the horses specifically because what a typical boarding barn here gives was not ok with my high energy TB.

When I boarded I turned him out every night for about an hour. He would run somewhere between 10 and 15 miles a week - on top of his 6 hours of work under saddle - because otherwise he was in a 12x24 pen. There was an option to pay for 30 minutes of turnout in a fairly small round pen 3 times a week. Waste of money!
    At home, the horses are able to be out 24/7, with stalls attached to their runs. The two dressage horses have about an acre each - enough room to run without having to slow much for turns. The TB enjoys jumping bushes and the smaller trees in his pen for fun when just racing around the edge isn't interesting enough. The crippled mare and the Friesian cross have smaller pens because they don't run as much or need as much space.

Desert, so when boarded there was a large dirt jumping arena I usually used, maybe 200'x300', I'm not sure exactly on the size but pretty large. There were also varying sizes of roundpens, one of which probably had a 30m diameter, so large enough to get moving in, at least. At home we have creosote bushes, mesquite and palo verde trees in the pens. No grass around here, unfortunately, but they are basically free-fed bermuda.

The boarding facility had multiple trainers. They currently have a Paint, eventing, h/j, Arabian and dressage trainer. Also one pseudo reining/western/not sure what she calls herself.

Since we don't really have grass and have a large number of mellower (QH-type) horses, the culture here is to keep horses in 12x24 pens, and folks don't understand that turnout and constant movement is good for horses' health, and not only for horses on pasture. I was extremely unhappy with the lack of turnout for my TB, and he kept injuring himself in his stall out of boredom. Immediately after moving without any change in my riding or his work schedule his topline improved dramatically, as well as his overall moods and attitude.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

Oct/Nov-June/July: 3.5hrs/day with buddy in sand/gravel rectangular paddock of decent size (could canter in it) with horses all around. Full french drains and manure pickup every day (clean clean clean!). (mares in AM, geldings in PM rotation)

June/July-Oct/Nov: 8hrs/day with buddy in large, long rectangular grass paddocks that is re-seeded/spread every year. 2-4 horses per paddock.

Some of us show locally only, located in SW Washington

Yes, happy. Many places around here have no turnout Nov-June or just mud pits. We count ourselves quite lucky to have nice, clean, safe turnouts. I ride often enough that my horse gets exercised and am fortunate I don't have a horse that requires more then he gets. I love my barn.

I have my horses at home with a run in, well my broodmare and my Shetland pony. The area is probably 2.5 acres a good bit of it is grass. After hay gets cut they will go out on my 6 acre field, tons of grass so pony will likely wear a grazing muzzle. I have a few more acres to fence off next to my house now but kind of unneccesary with just the two.

I love the turnout situation, for the horses I have had they all loved 24/7 turnout although I had a mare who I think would love to be stalled at night or during the day and turnout out, she wasn't a huge fan of a more relaxed atmosphere.

I wish I had a barn with stalls but according to DH that is coming within the next year (yay!!!!!). Otherwise no complaints!

Quote Originally Posted by Only By Night View Post
    I've read some startlingly low numbers and it's got me curious:

8-12 hours depending on weather

about an acre or so, mostly grass

we compete regularly but don't host. We event, SE PA

I love that the boys are out so much!! Although sometimes I wish they were in when it rains.....

+ anything else you'd like to add.
    I love my barn, the BO/trainer is just awesome and the boys get the best care. I am never worried about them!!!!

- How much turn out does your horse receive? (hours per day) Summer 15 hours/day...Winter 8-10 depending on the weather.
    - How large is the area? Grass, dirt, etc? Half of the summer day turnout is in grass paddocks, the rest is in all-weather turnouts, which are sand and smaller - maybe 100x200 each.
    - Is it a show facility? Where are you located? At my home
    - Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have? I'm a victim of the area - ideally they would be in large grass turnouts 24/7, but we make due with what's available.

Probably about 20 - they are only in to eat their grain. They are kept in during extreme weather (storms, snow, extreme heat).

Over 10 acres of awesome grass! It's aerated, fertilized, etc. and a minimal number of horses are kept in each pasture.

Semi-private facility, minimal number of boarders allowed. North of Dallas, Texas.

Yes! I love how much they get turned out; all of our horses are happier this way. I have a longer drive for such a premium amount of turnout, however.

How much turn out does your horse receive? (hours per day)

24/7 with access to a large run-in shed. In the summer, I put up fans and shade cloth to make it a nice, cool oasis.

How large is the area? Grass, dirt, etc?

~6 acre pasture with grass

I keep my horses at home (no boarders) and am in the same town where Paulaedwina boards hers, although opposite ends of the town. I have a nice ring here, but ship out for lessons and to an indoor in the winter.

If I were to be really picky, I'd prefer the sandier loam of east of I-95, as opposed to our hard pan red clay. It gets pretty greasy when wet, and horses who are playing vigorously can slide the grass layer right off.

I grew up in New England, where "turn out" meant an hour in a 30 x 30 pen. I can't believe that our horses didn't go bonkers. Certainly there are some, like Supershorty's mare, who don't enjoy turn out and prefer to be in, but looking back at that set-up, I am convinced my junior/eq horse was a saint!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I have come to realize just how much the horses benefit from having some vegetation to nibble at, even if it's not all that nutritious. For them it's like reading a book is to me - mental stimulation.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

1. All horses are out from 7:30am until 2:30pm.

2. We have 3 fields (that are rotated) of about 20 acres each. Field turnout is in a mixed herd but if you would prefer individual turnout we have individual paddocks.

3. Is it a show facility? Used to be now only a few indoor shows per year. We still have the 2 grass outdoor jumper fields that we now get to go in to school a few times a year, we also have 2 outdoor large sand rings and 2 indoor arenas.

4. I LOVE my barn. There are a number of boarding barns within reasonable driving distance from me, so I'm not just stuck there. I truly love it.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

7am till.....when he stands by the gate looking annoyed....He has ( with 6 of his best buddies) about 7-8 acre field...grass....Not a large barn...just big enough We have 3 outdoor rings, a small indoor and a X-xtry course....I love it and will never leave...

Our horses are out as much as possible - winter - from 9 am to about 6 pm. Summer - out 24/7 for most of them. The colt and my horse come in at night because they always seem to cause trouble at night unless it is really warm - then they are separate from the others. They are all brought in during bad weather/thunderstorms.

Grass - most of the herd in the summer is in a 15 acre pasture.

We are a private eventing/dressage barn - so at home.

Love what we have - wouldn't have it any other way. We are fortunate that we always have a breeze so very few bugs.

My boys are on field board so are out 24/7 with 3 other horses
    We have three large 5 acre fields that are all open to each other, but can easily be shut off. So we typically rotate the horses in the spring a bit to allow the grass to grow and it allows us not to feed hay until Nov/Dec.
    It is not a show barn, but we have several borders that show. We are located in Central Virginia.
    I love my current situation and my horses are fat and happy. Only downfall is the future from town it is the better turnout, grass, etc you have. So if you want to be close to town its more expensive and harder to find wide open fields.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

She's out 24/7 aside from feeding time and one night this past winter when it snowed. Stalls open into the pasture so they have access to them if they like; she never does unless there is food in it.

4 acres of lush grass, which she shares with 3 TWH mares.

It is not a show barn, has under 20 horses on the entire property between the two barns (front barn is leased out to a lady who runs her own boarding/training operation) but a few people do travel to shows. Located on the coast in New Bern, NC.

I'm happy with it, my horse is fat and happy. The barn is ten minutes from my house. Growing up, the barn I boarded and trained at was 30min from my house so this has been great because if I suddenly realize that G needs her blanket on that night and it's 9pm, it's not such a huge deal to run out there and find her and put it on (ironically, I find the black horse first and then find her....her eyes catch the flashlight first every time). I'd rather be able to have her at home and that will be our ultimate plan at some point, to find a property and make that happen.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Turned out alone from 1-4 hours every day
    Small, not large enough to run around, sand/dirt
    Show facility, Wellington
    This was a very difficult transition for my horse at first since she lived in 500 acre field until I purchased her as a 3 year old. However, the horse is worked everyday, and now seems very happy.

She is a show horse, so keeping her injury free and content are my top priorities.