The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turn Out Time

I've read some startlingly low numbers and it's got me curious:

- How much turn out does your horse receive? (hours per day)
    - How large is the area? Grass, dirt, etc?
    - Is it a show facility? Where are you located?
    - Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?

+ anything else you'd like to add.

In the middle of winter 8-4ish, longer as the days lengthen (horses get brought in just before it gets dark). In the summer, turnout at 6ish and in at 8 the next morning.

pasture size ranges from .5 acre to 30 acres. Mine are each with one other horse on a couple acres of grass pasture.

It's a barn with most riders showing (mostly eventing, some dressage), but the barn itself does not host shows.

Obviously I love it There are some other barns in the area with nice turnout, but nothing like this barn! The pastures are huge and well maintained, the horses go out in small groups or individually, and they are out for as long as the time of year allows.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Usually none. She gets handgrazed for up to an hour and gets turned out in a field where she'll usually roll and play a little before wanting to come back in. Occasionally she'll stay out there for half an hour or so before getting hysterical and wanting to come in.

Quite large. Grass.

Yes. Bedford, NY.

- Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?
    The area is fantastic and beautiful. Ideally, yes, I'd like to have a horse who preferred to be outside unsupervised longer. It would make my life a little easier to schedule if I could toss her out in a field and leave her there for a few hours. But... with that being said, I'm thrilled that I have a healthy and happy horse whose routine works so well for her.

I certainly hope people don't judge me based on the routine that works for me and mine

1 members found this post helpful.

nearly 24, minus severe weather, feeding, and indoor work
    He cribs severely when in his stall and is much more relaxed and attentive when turned out.
    30 acres of grass pasture and wooded area
    No. While most of the borders are Western pleasure riders, a few show in hunters, jumpers, and eventing. Southern IN
    There are some things I'm not particularly pleased about (such as barbed wire fencing ), but given the limited options, I'm happy. The people are wonderful, my horse loves all the turnout space, and for $200/month he gets a stall that is cleaned and bedded, is fed and provided hay and water, and we have an indoor and outdoor arena and lots of trail riding. Overall I'm very pleased and prefer it to the fancier barns in the area.

Out 24/7 year round in a 4-acre grass pasture (they come in for bad weather). Back yard type of barn - not a show barn (sorry but I have NO desire to be in that type of setting!). I'm in NH - tons of horses here and most barns have ample grass turn-out including a decent amount of show barns. The only thing I'd change would be that I wish it was MY place & I didn't have to board!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by Only By Night View Post

In the winter she's out from 8am-4pm, summer I'm assuming she'll be out from 4pm-8am (my barn hasn't switched to summer schedule yet).

There are six turnouts each large enough for 1-2 horses, and two pastures big enough for 3-4 (I'm really bad at estimating acreage).

We go to shows fairly regularly, but I wouldn't say it's a show barn. I'm about 30 minutes outside Raleigh, NC.

I'm happy with where I'm at. The turnouts and pastures have very little grass, but my trainer inherited the barn already in that condition; she moved there this past november. She's working hard to bring the grass back. If I didn't like where I am now, I probably would be a victim of my area. But I love where I'm at--I have a great trainer, the care is the best my horse has had since I bought her, and the facility is well run. The only catch is that it's also the most expensive barn we've been at, but it's well worth it.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

1)9 hours per day
    2)Grass with some dirt/limestone areas, 2 acres with 2 other horses
    3)Yes, WI
    4)I am satisfied but I wish he could be out 12 hours instead of 9 during the nice months.

How much turnout does your horse receive?
    Pasture 24/7 except for severe inclement weather where he is put in a stall.

How large is turnout area?
    5ish acre field with 1 or 2 other horses (currently a 2 yo filly and 10 yo mare with my guy), free choice round bales as well as nice grass.

What type of facility is it? Show?
    Backyard barn but most boarders show. In Northeastern NC. Many barns closer to where I live versus the 36 mile commute each way

Are you happy with what you have? If not what would you change?
    I love 90% of it, 10% I just need to get used to. My horse is happier than a pig in mud! I'm not a victim of location seeing as I choose to drive out of state and have a longer commute than is necessary.
    Last edited by anmoro; Apr. 15, 2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: bad spelling!

1. 24/7 with access to 2 open stalls with an attached run-in style barn.
    2. 3 1-acre pastures. Winter- all 2 open, Summer- 2 open to rest the other and rotate
    3. Maryland. We show but we are a backyard type of barn
    4. It does the job
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Mine get out for about 8 hours a day, which is great as the farm generally only does 1-2 hours per day for the individual horses. My two go out together, so they have an entire paddock to themselves. Not sure of the size. In the winter its shorter time, as there are less all weather paddocks.

Around 10 hours in the winter, 14 in the summer (day vs. night turnout).
    One horse is in a ~2 acre pasture with other horses, the other 1/4-1/2 acre by himself. Grass.
    Everybody shows, but the barns aren't super fancy or very large. Near Raleigh, NC.
    I like how it is.

Warmer months: Out around 5:30, in by 8:30 the next morning...reverse this for colder months.
    We have paddocks/pastures of various sizes. My personal horse is out with his beloved mare and they have a nice area, including access to the grass ring right now. :-)
    Yes. Bedford, VA.
    Love it! Our horses have the freedom of the program that suits them best as individuals...that is to say, there is no restriction on turnout availability, so they can be in or out as much as it suits them.
    Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
    Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

City of delusion in the state of total denial

About 8AM to 4PM on day turnout, about 6PM to 8AM on night turnout in the summer.

He is currently on a 2-acre field with a buddy on what I am hoping will not be too much grass. Checking feet like crazy. (Never diagnosed IR, but if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck, you don't turn it out on clover.) In the past he has been on a 1/2-acre dirt lot in summer but that is not available at this facility and may be a bit of overkill.

This is not a show facility, but the turnout routine was the same when I was (with a dirt lot, though.) I'm in Baltimore.

My only complaint is that the grass is too good. Now that I've said that, I'm preparing to be run out of the Greenspring Valley by owners of hard keepers brandishing pitchforks.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

In southern California, my horse was out an hour a day in a sand paddock, individual turnout. It was an extra charge and per day to do so.

These were show-oriented facilities and in or near urban Los Angeles. The only other option in that area is dirt dry lots shared by multiple horses, and typically that is available only sparingly and in places without much in the way of arena infrastructure etc.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

How much turnout does your horse receive?
    24/7 pasture with a buddy. They have a large covered shelter that they can go under if they so choose, and they are fed there every day. There are also clumps of large shade trees that are great for summer shade. The drainage is excellent. We don't get much snow, but can get lots of rain, so drainage is very important.

How large is turnout area?
    Field is about 2 acres. I'm in (way) NorCal. The fields are a mix of grass, dirt, stone. The grass is enough to keep them grazing and entertained but not enough to sustain them on pasture alone.

What type of facility is it? Show?
    Kind of in-between. Most everyone but a few boarders show, but it's a diverse group - some h/j, some eventers, lots of dressage, some endurance, trails, etc. Every horse, even those in the barn, has access to at least 1/4 of an acre of pasture. Each stall is connected to a 1/4 acre run. Most pasture boarders have 2 acre fields with two horses in them. There are also two 7 acres fields with 4 horses in them.

Are you happy with what you have? If not what would you change?
    I just recently moved here on Thurs, but so far I love it. The care is excellent, the horses are all fat and happy, and the arena is BEAUTIFUL. My only complaint is that it's a 20 minute drive, but considering other peoples' commutes, I have no right to complain!

My horse is out during the day in a 4acre grass field. He comes in to a 1 acre dry lot at night with 2 buddies. I would love for him to have pasture turnout 24/7 but surprisingly that's hard to find around here. The barn is a local-level show barn with several disciplines.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

24hrs. He's strictly a field boarder.

Perfect -a hilly, grassy, rocky, (guestimating) about 5 or 6 acres I'd say. He has 4 or 5 buddies from memory.

Very active eventing, barrel racing, cow sorting, breeding, barn. They will occasionally host Western stuff, but mostly they haul out (in large numbers -8horses yesterday to a CCWC show, plus other students who hauled their own horses). This is Sunset Valley in Union Bridge, MD.

I had no idea I loved this. I came from the tradition of small barns with adults. I always thought the idea of a big barn teeming with kids, carts, cars, trucks, trailers, longhorns, donkeys, etc. wouldn't be for me. Now I cannot imagine anything else.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

How much turn out does your horse receive? (hours per day)
    2 hrs/day with a buddy, weather permitting. If it's muddy, the horses don't go out.

How large is the area? Grass, dirt, etc?
    Small dirt paddock

Is it a show facility? Where are you located?
    Very much a show oriented barn, but doesn't host shows on site. TX

Are you happy with this? Are you a victim of your area, or do you prefer what you currently have?
    No, but it is standard for the area. It's frustrating when my horse is bouncing off the walls from being in a stall for three days because of rain, but it's better than the former barn that was a rock filled mess and mud pit that sucked shoes off every other week. I'm able to look past the turnout situation when this barn has the best location and training.

4 hours a day. He could get more, but he's not an outside loving horse, he goes out, runs around for 10 minutes then sits and sunbathes or grazes for 3 hours and 50 minutes everytime. He's so routine about this. He freaks out for 10 minutes and then literally just falls on to the sand and sleeps for the rest of the time. The first time he got turn out we all ran out to him because we thought he'd fallen and hurt himself but nope, he's just weird.
    He gets turn out in an outdoor riding ring because he needs run space that our paddocks can't offer, everytime he gets turned out in pasture he either pulls a shoe or tries to jump the fence.
    Yes it is a show facility and I'm happy with it simply because its what works for my horse. Our other 4 horses get much more turn out and in paddocks because it works for them. One is also on pasture board.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by Only By Night View Post

Now, in upstate NY, my horse lives outside 24/7 on grass. Not a show facility but I am much happier with this arrangement then at my old barn (a show facility) where my horse could only be turned out in a small paddock for maybe an hour or two a day.

My old barn was downstate and I definitely was a victim of my area. It wasn't the barns fault - there just wasn't a lot of land for turn out.

This has been said here before, but I'll reiterate: what works for one horse doesn't work for all. I would have been more unhappy with my old horse getting such limited turn out if I didn't know she disliked being turned out. Some horses hate it and that is fine - my current guy is quite happy to munch away on grass out in the field.