The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tredstep Tall Boots - Snaps

I have new Tredstep Raphaels. I love the way they look and am currently suffering through the break-in period (they're great to ride in, but incredibly painful from barn to mounting block and from dismount to crossties).

The snaps, however, have a hard time staying snapped. The snap at the bottom of the boot on my right foot pops open as soon as I walk a step. I can get it to stay snapped in the saddle as long as I keep my leg steady and heel level or down. If I kick out my stirrups and rotate my ankles, it opens again. The top snap on the left boot pops open as well, though is less annoying as it is easier to get resnapped. I think this is due to the tallness against the back of my leg.

These are my first pair of zipper-boots. Is this normal? Will they stay snapped once they're broken in and the leather is softer? Is there a way to get them to snap tighter?

I am a dressage/CT rider, but posting here as y'all H/J riders are the equipment-and-apparel mavens.

I've never had a snap problem on any of my boots even through break ins on boots that didn't really fit me. So I would not say its normal.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

The snaps should stay shut. You have a few options. Contact the company you purchased them from and exchange them or, since they are almost broken in, have a shoemaker look at them to see if the snaps can be repaired and have the shop you bought them from reimburse you for the repair. Some people prefer this resolution over breaking in a different pair of boots. In any event, Tredstep will support the shop you bought them from and you in either situation as this is a very uncommon issue for a pair of their boots to have. As a Tredstep dealer, I can assure you they will help you resolve this issue. Great company and they back up their product. I hope this helps.

This might sound silly, but are they truly snapped all the way? Sometimes it sounds like my snaps closed, but in reality they didn't and pop open easily.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    This might sound silly, but are they truly snapped all the way? Sometimes it sounds like my snaps closed, but in reality they didn't and pop open easily.
    I thought I was the only one that did this - lol.
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've had the same problem with one of my lower snaps on my Tredstep Raphaels. Comes unsnapped if I take 1 step in it or put my heel down in the saddle. So basically it's always unsnapped. Other lower snap is fine & both upper snaps are fine. I've also had to replace both zippers because they started coming open at the heel. One happened about 4 months before the other. Except for these problems, I love my Raphaels- comfortable & great to ride in.

Good to hear that they ARE supposed to stay snapped! I think I will give them another few tries and see if they soften (I've only ridden in them twice because I'm a wimp and go back to my holy old Pytchleys during the work week). If it doesn't work, I will try contacting Dover. I bought them at a store; does anyone know if I can just call their 800 number?

Vagabond, are you just living with your unsnapped boots?