The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One more thought...how happy is your trainer at Barn B? How would you feel if you moved there and the trainer left after a few months?

Pros
    Tack and untack service
    Completely owner hands off barn (BNT believes owner should not have to do anything but ride)
    Clean everything for you (tack, saddle pads etc)
    Well lit and airy stalls
    full care (wrapping, cold hosing, walking, longing, clipping) when needed, no extra fee
    Awesome facility

Cons
    BNT trainer has lied to us about the care of our horse which caused horse to get skinny/unshod for 9 weeks. This would not be a problem now, as we are able to keep an eye on the horse better.
    This automatically is a contradiction for me! Not being "hands on" with your horse is really only a Pro if you can be 100% sure that your horse is being treated like a king!

To me, it really looks like the "Pros" for option B are much stronger. Plus, another pro is your mom gets to learn some horsemanship skills, hopefully she will learn that time spent with the horse out of the saddle can be just as rewarding as time in the saddle! Go ride with the trainer you trust and enjoy working with!

Go where you will be happy. If you are happy your horse will sense it. That will make for a better partnership.

I am sending you a PM re the groom you mentioned-maybe good so no jumping to conclusions here for the rest of you. I probably know that person and it might help with mom and the lighting and cosmetic issues the horse could care less about. Might even know something about the trainers and barns depending on where you are.

For public consumption, mom and dad are paying the bills here so you will have to tread carefully but...I'd have moved long ago. Pretty is as pretty does. Plus that, some barns do the tack up/cool down so owner never has to touch horse because they don't want you on the property any longer then necessary. Not always, it can be a great convenience. But for some, you are a nuisance they want gone ASAP.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thank you all for the replies everyone... You've given me a lot to think about..

Mom is going to go out to barn B Thursday and take a closer look at things.. I'll keep y'all posted..

I think the hardest part of all of this is to prevent her from projecting human emotions onto the horse.

Thank you all for the replies everyone... You've given me a lot to think about..

Mom is going to go out to barn B Thursday and take a closer look at things.. I'll keep y'all posted..

I think the hardest part of all of this is to prevent her from projecting human emotions onto the horse.

A darkish barn will not kill a horse. Plenty of people, especially with small backyard barns, turn off the lights when they are gone for the day even if there are horses inside.