The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First Time Trailer Owner!!! What Do I Need?

Hey there! After 10 plus years of horse ownership, and the purchase of a second horse, and a pony lease for my daughter, I have decided it's time to stop having to beg rides from people! I just put in an order for a new 3 horse trailer!!!

So good people of COTH, what are the essentials that one must have with a trailer? I have buckets and haynets, but that is all. I am guessing trailer ties, maybe one of those trailer-aid ramps, ect. Let me know what are must haves for the trailer owners!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Fire extinguisher and first aid kit

Us rider membership. I have had to use this a few times over the years and it has easily paid for itself. It also covers any vehicle you are in. (Don't work for them, just a fan)

2nds such as wash and grooming items so you don't have to take from barn

Extra girth, saddle pad, helmet and bridle in case you forget yours.

Halters and leads and chain shank

Longeing equipment

Congrats! I just bought one, too! Here's my thread which has a ton of great information on it. Happy trails!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...afety-Supplies

Go out and drag that trailer behind your truck with no horses and learn how to drive that truck and trailer like a pro. Make sure you have a truck which can pull the trailer you have on order. Learn how to drive/haul it very well.

Congrats!

I worked years ago as an over the road truck driver! I hauled liquid tankers, so I am thinking (hopefully not naively so) that horses won't be too much worse!

Thanks for the link to the other thread! I had not seen it!

Oh, and I have a Ford Excursion! Huge tank of a vehicle. Should pull it decently, I hope!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

If it's the diesel Excursion, you should be ok, although with 3 horses, I'd still get a weight distributing/anti-sway hitch for the length.

As for needs, you really don't need that much (trust me, it will accumulate on its own!).

I second US Rider, they are excellent and I have used it! Other than that, I always use shipping boots (I only compete one horse and his legs are priceless to me). I put a haystring loop between my ties and the side of the trailer as a breakaway. I also always carry water in a 5 gallon jug just in case, even though I rarely have to use it. Spare tire, trailer jack, and you're good. :-)

Oh, I also always keep a grease gun in the back of the truck to keep my ball and hitch greased or add to hubs as needed.