The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I love having one. I don't always use it, but having the option is nice and it means I can really open the trailer up when I'm not using it to let the air blow through. I park it into the wind after I've washed it out and the floor dries in no time.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Why isn't the repair place's insurance covering it if it was burned in their fire?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I think the OP means that the insurance won't cover the cost of a NEW trailer, not that it isn't covering the loss of the trailer at all. Most insurance is for the current fair market value rather than replacement cost.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

The state of Alabama does not require businesses to have liability insurance. I have my own insurance on the trailer, but it will cover current market value. So I either have to find a used trailer or add some additional funds to buy new.

I love mine and it gives options. It also gives the ability to provide better ventilation on hot days at shows. Just saw this on FB and hopefully the horses are OK - I would definitely be glad I had a side ramp and not have to back. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Goodness! I assume her horse was on the road side, the ditch side really gave way. Glad they are both OK
    Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers

I would go with the side ramp.

My horses moved to a new barn last month and the hauler had a 2+1 with side ramp. The driveway at the old barn was too narrow for her rig and it was on a busy road. The hauler pulled up on the side of the road with the side ramp opened into the driveway. This way we didn't have to take the horses onto the road to load them. I don't know what we would have done if we didn't have that option.

If I had the opportunity to have a side/front ramp, I'd grab it in a split second...

I have another question regarding a trailer with a side ramp. What is the best way to hang hay for trips? The trailer I am looking at has no head divider and the front wall is too far for the horses to reach. Is there other options besides hanging a hay bag from the center divider?

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    I have another question regarding a trailer with a side ramp. What is the best way to hang hay for trips? The trailer I am looking at has no head divider and the front wall is too far for the horses to reach. Is there other options besides hanging a hay bag from the center divider?
    I hang a haynet for each horse on the same ring I tie to.

Agree with everyone regarding the many pluses of having a side ramp. I'd never have a trailer without one at this point. For multi-day shows where I have to take a lot of hay and bedding, the extra area afforded by the side ramp is invaluable. Although my trailer is a gooseneck with a tack room, there's not really enough room there for hay/bedding nor do I want hay messing up the tack room, so I really appreciate the extra space in the trailer. There are rings in the front so that I can securely fasten this stuff as well as my wheelbarrow. At one day shows, I appreciate the added ventilation when my horse is relegated to the trailer as I wait for scores.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Thanks for all of the replies. Just waiting on the insurance to get sorted out and hopefully will be buying the Gore 2 horse with side ramp. If you never have an emergency situation you probably don't need it, but if you have an emergency it is invaluable to have. Also sounds like there are lots of other positives to having one.

1 members found this post helpful.

i have a gooseneck with side unload but no dressing room. the dressing room added to much to the length. i throw my tack up in the gooseneck. very handy for tacking up in the rain or heat as it is shaded. i love it and would buy another; however, I would not do it in a bumper pull. Too much length and tongue weight .... you want the trailer stable and safe, right?

It adds 2' to the Gore 2 horse straignt load bumper pull. I am pulling with a Yukon Denali XL and use a load leveling hitch (with the stabilizing bars). Do you think that I would have an issue with that set up?