The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Side Ramp or No Side Ramp

My 2 horse trailer was destroyed in a fire at a trailer repair business over the weekend. So I am now in the market for a new bumper pull 2 horse trailer with tack room. The local trailer dealer has 2 Gore 2 horse straight load trailers - one has a side load ramp (in addition to th rear ramp) and is 2 ft longer, and the other just has the rear load ramp. Does anyone have any opinions or pros/cons of the side ramp?

My old trailer did not have a side ramp. Wondering if it is worth the extra cost. Any opionions welcome and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    My 2 horse trailer was destroyed in a fire at a trailer repair business over the weekend. So I am now in the market for a new bumper pull 2 horse trailer with tack room. The local trailer dealer has 2 Gore 2 horse straight load trailers - one has a side load ramp (in addition to th rear ramp) and is 2 ft longer, and the other just has the rear load ramp. Does anyone have any opinions or pros/cons of the side ramp?

My old trailer did not have a side ramp. Wondering if it is worth the extra cost. Any opionions welcome and appreciated.
    Love the side unload ramp. It makes unloading much safer and the horses much prefer not having to back out into the unknown.

If I could afford it, I would go with the side unload. You may not need it, but if you ever have to ship a bad shipper, they are priceless.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

1 members found this post helpful.

I bought this last November http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.c...ht-loads/st-sr It was $16K with the delux option package. We also upgraded the tires
    I chose to leave the front open giving me the option to haul a third horse if necessary. My problem loader went on and off easily after about 5 min.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

A friend has a side ramp, which came in Very Handy when her horse suffered a major hind leg injury that prevented him from backing up while all sorts of stabilizing hardware and wraps were in place. He had to make every-other week trips to the clinic to have things adjusted, so loading / unloading safely was a big issue.

That said, if there is a slanted wall in the front to make room for the side ramp, make sure you like that arrangement in the tack room.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    A friend has a side ramp, which came in Very Handy when her horse suffered a major hind leg injury that prevented him from backing up while all sorts of stabilizing hardware and wraps were in place. He had to make every-other week trips to the clinic to have things adjusted, so loading / unloading safely was a big issue.

That said, if there is a slanted wall in the front to make room for the side ramp, make sure you like that arrangement in the tack room.

*star*
    That is the reason I chose to leave the front open. There are 2 bridle hooks and removable saddle racks in the nose, spare tire and a brush box on the door but otherwise Ny stuff is covered or in removable containers
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Go with the side ramp - if I could afford one I'd do it!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I have a side ramp with my 2+1, and never use it unless I am hauling the third horse. To me, not worth the extra weight and cost for a two horse trailer. Essential for my trailer, but not for a two horse. Of course, ymmv.

Absolutely go for the side/front unload!! It makes life sooooo much easier and safer. I've never had to back a horse down a ramp (always had a big van, 4H head to head and now a custom 2+1) and I don't know how one person can handle a bad unloader alone. It will be worth the difference in cost!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

2 members found this post helpful.

I love having the side ramp. Would absolutely get it if you can. I like having as many accessibility options to the horses as possible.

A friend of mine has a huge mare(TB/Clyde cross-18.2h). When she got her new trailer she got a warmblood sized with side ramp. She loves it. I wouldn't like it because the dressing room has the slant wall and is not very large kind of hard to use.

Love my side ramp, got it for the Tasmanian Devil horse so he didn't need to back off, have different horses now younger, so they have to back off every now and again just so they know they can But side ramp makes things easier.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

The cost difference between a 2 horse eclipse with dressing room and a 2 horse side ramp without dressing room is about $2K. The dressing room would be another $2K
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Side ramp = just about the best thing since sliced bread, IMO. In addition to helping with horses' confidence, safety, etc, it makes it super easy to load/unload stuff into the nose.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

I have the side ramp. Honestly, I never use it. I did when I was able to show out of my trailer back east, but even then I still backed them out. Just opened front ramp for air/light and hanging out.
    Where I live now, showing out of the trailer isnt possible, have to use get stalls, so I don't use it now.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I have a side ramp and have only used it twice: once when my friend was teaching her baby horse how to load and once when I was practicing loading with my neurotic horse (turned out to be a terrible idea since he pretty much ran me over trying to fly out the side ramp). I guess it's nice to have in case of an emergency, so I won't knock it. I have a Hawk and mine is set up so it cuts into the tack room space, leaving me with a diagonal wall between the tack room and horse area of the trailer. It's fine for me, but I can see it being annoying for people with more equipment.

I would feel guilty plopping that side ramp down at shows and requiring the parking crew to give me more side-space than your average bumper pull.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

We have a Hawk with a side ramp and will never have a trailer without one again. Not only does it make unloading safer but if you are trying to load a worried/problem horse you can open it up to make it bright and inviting instead of trying to load them into a dark hole.

We also work out of our trailer at many shows and the ramp allows us to leave the trunk in the trailer and still have easy access to it.

I love my side ramp (although mine is a gooseneck). I load and unload alone all the time. Since the horses don't back out, they don't seem to be prone to doing that unexpectedly after loading. I think it's safer for me and them. Oh, and if it's really hot I leave the top half of the side ramp open since it opens toward the back instead of toward the front like the back doors. (with a mask on the horse of course). It doesn't really take up any more space to the side when parked as it's shorter than the horse that's tied beside it.
    Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: addition
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

We are trailer shopping at the moment and trying to decide this same question. My gut is telling me it's like knowing how to use 2 sets of reins. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. BUT there is that extra cost. We found a used one here that had a separate dressing room w. small LQ and was gooseneck with the front ramp. Out of our budget but would've been PERFECT>

Thanks for all the great replies. My current horses do not have problems loading into my old 2 horse trailer. But I am also leaning towards the idea that it is better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. It does seem like a good thing to have if you have to unload during an emergency. It also would give me more room in front of the horse to pack things. I travel with my daughter to horse trials frequently and carry lots of gear. Now to go looking for a trailer. The local dealer has a new Gore with side ramp on his property, but no used bumper pulls to look at. Was hoping to find a used trailer since my insurance on my now burnt trailer won't cover the cost of a new one. I am located in the southeast (Alabama) - anyone have any suggestions on places to look for used bumper pull trailers?