The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Minimal/Grain-free Diets

I tried searching for this topic, so I apologize if it's a repeat. (Though I imagine quite a few subjects are probably on a cycle here. ) If you remember a relevent thread, I'd be grateful to be pointed in the right direction.

Does anyone here have their horse on a very low grain or grain-free diet? What do you feed? What kind of work is your horse doing? What breed/sex/age?

TIA!

Edit: By grain, I mean actual GRAIN (wheat, corn, etc.) Not concentrated feed of any sort.
    Last edited by lferguson; Apr. 15, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

My guys are easy keepers and usually live out 24/7 with unlimited hay in winter, grass the rest of the year. I typically can get away with minimal grain most months, little bit more in the winter.
    Feed TC Lite, once a day, plus a multi vit and sometimes oil if I've got a draft cross.
    They are ridden 6 days a week and I've competed through Preliminary and a long format Training 3 day this way...

Geldings, over the years range in age from 5-18, IDSH, wb, and draft cross.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    My guys are easy keepers and usually live out 24/7 with unlimited hay in winter, grass the rest of the year. I typically can get away with minimal grain most months, little bit more in the winter.
    Feed TC Lite, once a day, plus a multi vit and sometimes oil if I've got a draft cross.
    They are ridden 6 days a week and I've competed through Preliminary and a long format Training 3 day this way...

Geldings, over the years range in age from 5-18, IDSH, wb, and draft cross.
    How much is that once daily serving?

I feed ZERO grain. (shhh don't tell my horse).

I feed tim pellets, and equi pride.

The tim pellets rattle just like grain, and she gets them 2 x a day. So that is grain right??

Right now for spring/summer she is getting 1/2-1 CUP (yes this is a measured amount) 2 x a day and the measured appropriate amount of equipride - which is a supplement. Oh and I do give her a handful of shredded BP 1 time a day. (well . . I do)

Winter, she gets 2 cups 2x a day of tim pellets and lots of hay.

Rocky Mt, mare, coming 7 this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I feed ZERO grain. (shhh don't tell my horse).

I feed tim pellets, and equi pride.

The tim pellets rattle just like grain, and she gets them 2 x a day. So that is grain right??

Right now for spring/summer she is getting 1/2-1 CUP (yes this is a measured amount) 2 x a day and the measured appropriate amount of equipride - which is a supplement. Oh and I do give her a handful of shredded BP 1 time a day. (well . . I do)

Winter, she gets 2 cups 2x a day of tim pellets and lots of hay.

Rocky Mt, mare, coming 7 this summer.
    LOL!

What breed and age are your mare and what is her activity level?

Please define grain as you intend it

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Please define grain as you intend it
    Just edited my question.

I never feed my horse straight grain of any kind.

Ok, then based on the edit (thanks!) mine are all grain-free.

I feed a ration balancer to 2, and a v/m supplement to 2, neither of which have grains. The 2 who get the v/m get about 2c beet pulp as a carrier. The 2 who get the RB get varying amounts of beep - 1 just about 3c, and the other about 6c. The 6c horse is my 2yo, and I can increase or decrease that as his weight fluctuates during growth and stagnant phases.

Mine are grain free with one exception...my toothless older stallion gets a little bit of senior feed to flavor his beet pulp/alfalfa pellet mash. I'm feeding 16 horses of my own now and several boarders so it's a pretty good sample.

I feed about a lb or two a day of alfalfa pellets to my Spanish mustangs. They get a vit/mineral supplement also. Good quality tim/orchard/clover hay as needed or good pasture. They've been on this diet since 2008.

She said "no concentrated feed" of any kind so I think that would eliminate ration balancers. Most ration balancers have some "grain" in them don't they? Or grain byproducts like wheat middlings?

OP, I feed 2 cups 1x a day in warm months, and 5-6 cups in winter.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I haven't used grains in years.

My 19 year old gets ~5 lbs of concentrates a day in the winter, then switches to 1 lb/day of ration balancer in the summer. For her winter feed, she gets either TC Senior or Tribute Kalm N Easy, with alfalfa pellets and rice bran mixed in for extra calories, along with plenty of hay.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Grain free, vit/min supplement and fat supplement for the draft, otherwise T/A hay and pasture all year round, both easy keeper pleasure horses, 6 yr old Clyde mare, and 12 ( as of today, happy b-day Ruby) QH mare.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Neither of mine are fed grain. They each get roughly 3/4 lb of a complete feed daily so I have something to mix their supplements into (I feed it wet).

They are in light work, one ride a week or so each. They live out 24/7. Aside from their daily "snack" they just get straight grass hay.

Mine don't get grain, they don't need it. I mainly switched because I was experimenting with cheapness ;-) I'm staying this way because they look and act fantastic. They get free choice grass/timothy hay. They get about 1lb beet pulp and about 1lb alfalfa cubes, soaked, twice a day with a handful of flax thrown in along with a vit/min supplement. One is a 16 hand Walker gelding (I have to check how old he is, lol- maybe 11 or 12?) the other is a 14.1, going on 17 year old Morgan gelding. In the winter, they are couch potatoes- when the weather gets nice, they trail ride (mountain trails mostly) a few times a week for several hours at a time.
    Kerri

Grain free for 5 years... Plain beet pulp & Equipride or an EquiLix Tub. Hay/pasture. Das ist alles.

2 mares (full Percheron & clyde-X) - Perch is retired now. Clyde-X in light work.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

My horse is on KER All phase, which is a concentrated feed/ration balancer pellet. He gets a half pound a day and thinks those pellets are the most delicious thing created. He's a 9 year old Arabian gelding in moderate work.

Edited to add: he's on full turnout with free choice hay but he's convinced the quarter inch of grass is better.
    Last edited by DancingArabian; Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM.

I'm a big fan of no/low grain diets, most horses just don't need grain.

I have one (three year old Arabian) on a ration balancer and my mare (nine year old Arabian, currently in light work) on alfalfa pellets, flax and HorseTech's High Point. Good stuff!

I've had my mare on a similar diet even when she was in regular work, I feed a lot of hay and hope to manage my pasture a bit better this year so they can graze all summer. If a horse needs weight I would rather add fiber or fat over starch.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/