The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Finally bought my first trailer...now to accessorize!

So after 15 some years I have been able to finally make a dream come true and bought my very first trailer! Yay!

So my question is, what are some items you keep in your trailer? By this I mean car related, trailer related, horse related, personal related?

Right now I have my show clothes and a container that I use when travelling to away shows that have water buckets, feed buckets stall guards, bridle hooks, etc. Lately I do have a small pitch folk. But are there other things that I am not thinking of?

What have you found useful for organization? Keep things in place?

TIA
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I'm no expert, but have found the following really great:

-small bag with gloves, wet ones, garbage bag. I use this ALL the time (when getting diesel, when greasing the hitch, when hooking up)

-Rubbermaid with roadside assistance-type items: fire extinguisher, orange warning triangle and cone, duct tape, WD-40, tire pressure gauge, spray-in tire repair kit, a hi-visibility reflective vest, bungee cords & tie-downs, hammer, multi-tool.

-headlamp, winter hat, summer visor, gloves, flashlight - all easily accessible (use these ALL THE TIME)

-couple of double-ended snaps, carabiners, scissors (used all the time)

-5-gallon sealed water container (really useful when the unexpected happens - like a roadside breakdown - can water the horses). Also good for arrival at a site, you don't have to go hauling water for things like a quick wipe of your tack or horse.

-I like to have a muck basket along, since I don't have a portable wheelbarrow

-I leave a rain jacket, my show clothes, and show stuff (gloves, hairnets, spurs, bridle numbers, etc. - in a 4-drawer plastic cabinet) in the trailer

-extra halter and lead-rope, always!

-lunge-line (has come in handy at times such as, no stall door upon arrival!)

-you can buy a hanger that has multiple spots to attach hangers to - it helps organize and saves space

Hope that helps! I have seen some very compact set-ups, but it really depends on the size of your trailer, the type of trips you do most often, etc.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Absolute minimum:
    Trailer-Aid and whatever else you need to change spare (right size lug wrench)
    Flares
    fire extinguisher
    5 gallons of water
    First aid kit
    spare halter and lead
    grease for your hitch
    US Rider membership

i have an extra helmet, girth, bridle (stuff that I have easily forgotten at home !!) reins, lunge line, duct tape, first aid kit for horsey and human, mainly I've used the Aluspray alot for cuts and scrapes. Rain sheet in case we get caught in down pour, easy boot for those lost shoes. Wash bucket with vetrolin, sponge and sweat scraper. Drinking water bucket, horsey doesnt like to drink out of wash bucket. Cotton cooler for loading up and going after washdown.

Cooler with snacks (horsey and human), drinks and beer !! <--- eventer !!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Besides the above:

--Towels (both hand & big size)

--Paper Towel

--5-gallon bucket 1/2 filled with Equine Pine (instant, private Porta-Potty )

--Horse Quencher -- my mare refused to drink away from home. Guess it smelled different coming out of the AquaTainer, so I add 1 packet of this and she drinks!

--Tarp (one never knows)

--Bungee cords (SOOOOOOOOO glad I have a variety of these! My newer truck's plug receiver (female) takes my plug from the trailer but the locking-clip isn't the same, so it doesn't lock and the plug comes loose over bumps. One bungee cord, wrapped around the plug and tightly secured underneath the plug housing holds it in tight!

--Lunge Line & Dressage whip -- in case someone has a moment and doesn't want to load

--Knife
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I will never leave home without Banamine in my first aid kit...Just in case a horse should suffer a nasty injury, or colic out on a trailride, in the middle of nowhere, which they are bound to do sooner or later. Ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    --Bungee cords
    I want to second this. Simple item that has so many uses that can save the day.

Duct tape and bailing twine too. Yes, I realize it is redneck. But worth having when you need it. Stash a couple of strands of bailing twine in one of your totes.

Thanks everyone! These are great ideas and many I hadn't even thought off!! Creating a shopping list now!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Large flashlight, large spotlight.

Congrats on the trailer. My wife and I just got our first truck and trailer this year, so i am gonna steal a bunch of these ideas as well.

I have found great must-have lists and pre-trip checklists on the US Rider website. Here's a good one: http://m.usrider.org/tip_dont.html

I have stackable Sterilite drawers in my trailer. I have them anchored to the wall with industrial Velcro. In them I have extras of just about everything.

One is office supplies. Pens, paperclips, paper, etc. It also has electrical and duct tape. I find that stuff useful for endurance rides and shows. Another is spare gloves. Another is random tack pieces. Everything from bridle pieces to girths. Stuff to use in a pinch. Another is extra halters and lead ropes. Another is generic rope and bungee cords. I have extra saddle pads in another. One is horse first aid. Another is human first aid (most of the stuff can do double duty also). Another is a hose and spray nozzle. Another is saddle bags. Another is a set of grooming tools, brushes, hoof picks, etc. Another has flashlights and a couple glow sticks (hang one off your horse, ride trails at night!). Another has extra clips/carabiners/etc. I have several hay bags and hay nets.

I have two 5 gallon buckets with lids I fill with water (though I plan to get a large corner water tank this summer). That way if water is a long way away at show, I've got 10 gallons to play with before I have to find other water.

And another two buckets with lids for grain.

I have two folding saddle racks for shows. I set them up under the gooseneck to stay dry or in the sun to dry out saddle pads camping.

I have a metal clipboard you can store stuff in Velcroed to the tack room door. It contains copies of vaccine records and Coggins tests for shows and rides. I also keep my state park bridle tags in there.

I have a small tool set to fix whatever breaks. Including a tire iron for both the truck and trailer. There's also one of those ramps to change a trailer tire.

Sterilite (its made in the USA!) tub with a couple coolers and sheets. Another tub has buckets and feed tubs for feeding/watering/bathing.

I have a tarp to put on the ground in front of the tack room door. I have folding camp chairs. I have a blow up mattress in the gooseneck. I have a pitchfork, shovel and broom in a muck bucket tethered to the wall (3M hooks and bungee cords).

I have a large cooler that doubles as the step into the gooseneck.

Um yeah, I have everything but the kitchen sink....
    Last edited by candysgirl; Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Another vote for a Trailer Aid and importantly a lug wrench that fits your trailer tire lug nuts --- note they will most likely be a different size than your truck tires!!!

Some good suggestions there, but I'm impressed some of these people still have room for a horse in their trailer.

It does start to make clearer the CotH mantra of "OMG you need at least a one ton truck to pull a two horse trailer!!! It's not the pulling it's the stopping!!!".

Adding that extra 1000 pounds of zombie apocalypse survival gear has to affect hauling ability.