The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Westboro is planning to picket at the funerals -- "God sent the bombs" http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/...st-church-says
    <ignore>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Westboro is planning to picket at the funerals -- "God sent the bombs" http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/...st-church-says
    They just want to make the news, see their names in print.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki^ View Post

It makes he even more sick that the Dictator in chief called it a tragedy and not an act of terrorism. He's one stupid fool.
    The President of the United States (I assume that is whom you refer to so disrespectfully, Nikki) DID in fact call it 'terrorism'.
    and most intelligent, sane people - like the President - do consider it a 'tragedy'.

Your comment is inappropriate, especially in the context of the sadness and loss experienced by so many, and the courage demonstrated by so many others.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

31 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, Fred.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    If the Foo sh*ts...
    You, my non-friend loser, are cordially invited to perform aerial intercourse with my left boot. Cheers, bioatche!

nasalberry: Please just take it down a notch. PM me if you want to be mad and tell me what is so upsetting. I'm trying to write a very boring letter and very distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    You, my non-friend loser, are cordially invited to perform aerial intercourse with my left boot. Cheers, bioatche!
    Wow, you just keep getting Klassier and Klassier.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The President of the United States (I assume that is whom you refer to so disrespectfully, Nikki) DID in fact call it 'terrorism'.
    and most intelligent, sane people - like the President - do consider it a 'tragedy'.

Your comment is inappropriate, especially in the context of the sadness and loss experienced by so many, and the courage demonstrated by so many others.
    FWIW the "official"definition of terrorism says that it has to be motivated by hate. IOW the OK bombing was a terrorist act Newtown was not.

We don't know yet if this meets the "official" definition. We do know it is a tragedy
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

2 members found this post helpful.

The NY Post is a garbage paper. As of now, there have been 3 fatalities.

Edited: My quote didn't show up, for some reason.

EDITED AGAIN: Just read on Huffington Post that the person originally identified as the 3rd fatality, a Chinese BU grad student named Zhou Danling, is alive and being treated at Boston Medical Center.
    Last edited by Annandale; Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've called the Boston area my home for the past 7 years, and I'm still in shock over what has happened. I couldn't sleep last night...it's so scary to think it was in my city. I'm so thankful that it was Patriot's Day and my mom didn't have to work, since she is a professor at Boston University, which is on Boylston St.

My heart is so heavy, and even though I'm a girl of very few prayers, I found myself reflecting and thinking and praying almost every time I had a quiet moment at work today. It's things like this that make us appreciate every single person who is important in our lives, and hug them even tighter. My thoughts go out to all of you COTHers who were directly affected by the events that occurred, or are just as insanely shaken up as I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

This thread needs these beautiful thoughts from Patton Oswalt to get back on track. Some strong language -- Mods, hope the editing here is ok.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.
    But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

5 members found this post helpful.

Not much discussion at my office, but we're doing office moves and when the movers dropped something big and the floor shook, quite a few ppl prairie-dogged out of their offices, "what was that?!"

And now a PG PO sniffed out an envelope with ricin in it headed for the senate mail facility for sen wicker.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Idiots. I can't understand their hatred any more than I can understand the hatred and violence of someone that would plant those bombs.

What kind of life could these people lead that lets their minds become so twisted?
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

The FBI says they were bombs with nails, ball bearings, and other shrapnel inside pressure cookers (6 liter size I think they said), and they now have pictures of the second device exploding. The Saudi student wasn't involved, apparently he was just a person who ran away from the blast. I'm hoping someone is calling the FBI now, with the right tip that finds the scum that did this. The person who did this will pay.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

So proud of my brother, one of the helpers, one of the people who ran toward the destruction, one of Boston's absolute finest...part of Boston's elite Emergency Medical Services. Bless all the "helpers".

14 members found this post helpful.

Good on your brother, Unprovoked. He's obviously good people.

More nice time: Tough Ruck soldiers working to save lives.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...oston-marathon
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I edited an earlier post to share that the Chinese BU grad student who was originally believed to be the 3rd fatality is actually alive.

This is so rediculously sad and sick. I'm a christian and when I hear about stuff like this I want to just smack some sense into them. It's people (notice i didn't call them christians there) like these who give christians a bad name. There is a time and a place to be loud with your opinion, and the funerals of innocent victims are not it!

On another note, my dad ran the Boston Marathon several years ago, and we stood waiting to see him finish close to, if not on top of, where the second bomb detonated on Boylston street. I can't imagine what it would have been like to lose my little brother or sister, or my mother. And on top of that, the physical trauma, so many amputees...

Did anyone else see the Doctor's report from Mass. General this morning? 6-8 in medical sedation and the earliest they will release the less (physically) damaged patients is a few days. And they still expect people to trickle in with head trauma over the next few days too. He had some more inspiring stories about first responders and other helpful people that the media hasn't exploited yet, as far as I can tell.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieS View Post
    This is so rediculously sad and sick. I'm a christian and when I hear about stuff like this I want to just smack some sense into them. It's people (notice i didn't call them christians there) like these who give christians a bad name. There is a time and a place to be loud with your opinion, and the funerals of innocent victims are not it!

On another note, my dad ran the Boston Marathon several years ago, and we stood waiting to see him finish close to, if not on top of, where the second bomb detonated on Boylston street. I can't imagine what it would have been like to lose my little brother or sister, or my mother. And on top of that, the physical trauma, so many amputees...

Did anyone else see the Doctor's report from Mass. General this morning? 6-8 in medical sedation and the earliest they will release the less (physically) damaged patients is a few days. And they still expect people to trickle in with head trauma over the next few days too. He had some more inspiring stories about first responders and other helpful people that the media hasn't exploited yet, as far as I can tell.
    I hope that you understand that most people involved are asking for privacy and the media is respecting that. That may be why the "media hasn't exploited yet" . Gee damned if the do damed if they don't....

Oh, no, I was glad the media hasn't done anything with it! Because it seems more sincere and real when the media doesn't blow people into heroes overnight just for ratings. That's why I liked hearing the doctor's firsthand accounts; because we're getting it in it's full pure form (not the cut and paste, sensationalized version), and we can picture it on our own.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.