The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

i am not being critical, but returning to normal is the brave thing. Dont let a madman, or madmen, or mad persons change you.

9 members found this post helpful.

I expect the FBI already has a profile of who would do something like that are are turning over every rock to find it before they blow up something else.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I did NOT POST A RANT I posted a SPECULATION. THIS IS A (BRIEF) RANT: DO YOU NEED A [edit] DICTIONARY????

Anyway, my dear niece attends Boston University and was at a party located about 1/2 mile from the finish line. Our family was frantic until we were able to reach her and assure ourselves she was safe. I worry about her so much. Though born in the U.S. she has been raised in Switzerland and attending college in the States has been culture shock for her, given the violence here vs. there.
    Someone jokingly voiced concern about pressure cookers, etc being banned. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. I agree with others here; this country is so divided at a time we should be standing together, particularly after a horrible attack like this one.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Apr. 16, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I'm not understanding how so many people around me are just doing their normal thing today.

Just so glad my friends up there were standing somewhere else. And so immensely sad.

http://i.imgur.com/hCxGTtt.jpg
    Well, I am following the British example. "Keep Calm and Carry On!"

That little boy.... just heartbreaking though. His mom's in the hospital where I work, and his little sister is at our sister hospital for children next door...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post

Someone jokingly voiced concern about pressure cookers, etc being banned. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
    OK, I better go get one... I've wanted one for ages. It's equivalent to running out to buy guns right now, I guess.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I still feel extremely numb from this. Similar to how I felt on 9/11. I lived and worked in Manhattan then, so it was extremely close to home. This is pretty close to home now as well (I live in S. NH).

A very close friend of mine, who is a physician, was volunteering at the Medical Tent near the Finish Line and was one of the first responders. Her first cryptic messages, before the news media had even reported anything was "Mass casualty event. CPR. Amputations." I can't even imagine what she saw and went through yesterday. She says that she feels especially for all their volunteers who were mostly young people (college age) and not medical professionals (in pictures they are the staff wearing the yellow jackets, the med staff were wearing the white). Most ran to help at the scene along with the medical personnel. She worries that they get the right help for the PTSS that is likely to be a result.

My friend volunteers for the Medical Tent at the Boston Marathon every year and has been doing do for years. Most years the biggest issues are dehydration, hypothermia (depending on the weather that year) or, at worst, hypernatremia.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    i am not being critical, but returning to normal is the brave thing. Dont let a madman, or madmen, or mad persons change you.
    I'm not saying people should hide indoors, it just feels surreal to me that it hasn't even been a topic of conversation here (at work, anyway). Other than a couple people joking about new laws restricting pressure cooker - which to me is sort of incomprehensible because I can't fathom joking right now (and I'm normally a gallows-humor type of gal, too)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    OK, I better go get one... I've wanted one for ages. It's equivalent to running out to buy guns right now, I guess.
    Ann, you can have mine if they're all sold out. I never use it.

The T ride home was more interesting than the ride in I have to say. Staties w/ assault rifles and dogs at my home T stop. Glad they were there to keep us safe, wish they didn't have to be there though.

Cranky, totally agree with your comments on the young staffing. I began thinking of a fire fighter who works with Mr. Stolen who had one experience with a woman trapped under her car during a freeway accident. He had to be with her for I think a couple of hours while they eventually extricated her. She was badly injured. That fire fighter was never the same after that and he infact took a training position not long after. He was pretty senior but still struggled with the experience. Prayers to all that helped those injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    ... And it does appear that some of the vitriol and hatred from that BB that just collapsed has found its way over here, where it is most certainly NOT welcomed! Go find yourself some other sandbox to soil!
    Oh, really??? Just because I once was on the UDBB, you get snarky? YOU?!? "Dr. FrankenBoogers"??
    And what say you about all of these hypocritical CoTHers who ARE USING this horrific event - causing the opening of the O/T forum - to discuss their "reading lists" or "what should I paint with?" Answer me that, FrankB!

Don't give ME your high-&-mighty judgement! I had a friend there!! I got the pix at 3:09pmEDT.
    I was horrified and in tears before *most* of the rest of you your CoTH 'pilers' even got the news. The CoTHers, not already there or in DIRECT contact with this tragedy, of course.

I want these terrorists CAUGHT!
    And it is OBVIOUS to me that there is more than one!!
    Last edited by nasalberry; Apr. 16, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Me too. Better get one now. Cripes I had to sign my life away the other day at the drug store to get some sudafed. My husband and I wanted to buy two packages since we both suffer from allergies, and we each had to buy a box of sudafed individually as we were not allowed to purchase more than one at at time under our own ID. Has this sort of stupidity really stopped drug dealers from making Meth? Don't even get me started on gun control but I think it's time to quit trying to always find something to blame causing a knee jerk reaction to fixing something that won't work and the cure is worse than the problem.

Its taken me awhile to write anything here - mainly because I was so stunned about several tragedies that happened yesterday around the world.

By the time I was told by a co-worker about Boston in the afternoon - I don't think my brain could take any more.

Al lI have to say - is my heart goes out to all the people affected by events yesterday.
    Too many dead and injured. due to terrorist activity (aka bombings) yesterday.

Boston, Baghdad, and all the other ones that didn't make front line news.

So I opened this thread finally - and I find bickering/arguing/and hate.
    Sometimes I'm a bit ashamed of saying 'hey I belong to the human race'.
    Go us.

Go home and hug those you love and maybe even the people you don't love.

Thats my rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

10 members found this post helpful.

Go home and hug those you love and maybe even the people you don't love.
    Yes. This.

Rain, a good rant it is
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'm really saddened to see fighting on this thread. Love one another, people.

Signed,
    A Bostonian
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I'm not understanding how so many people around me are just doing their normal thing today.
    I had to get my butt back on the Metro at my local stop (Pentagon City) and go to class in Foggy Bottom on 9.12.01, twenty-four hours after hearing a plane hit the Pentagon and just straight-out kill almost as many people were injured here, let alone killed. And that was the LITTLE event of the day (that tended to get overlooked because of "Let's roll" in PA and the sheer scale of the WTC.) What else are people supposed to do but do their normal thing?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    Oh, really??? Just because I once was on the UDBB, you get snarky? YOU?!? "Dr. FrankenBoogers"??
    And what say you about all of these hypocritical CoTHers who ARE USING this horrific event - causing the opening of the O/T forum - to discuss their "reading lists" or "what should I paint with?" Answer me that, FrankB!

Don't give ME your high-&-mighty judgement! I had a friend there!! I got the pix at 3:09pmEDT.
    I was horrified and in tears before *most* of the rest of you your CoTH 'pilers' even got the news. The CoTHers, not already there or in DIRECT contact with this tragedy, of course.

I want these terrorists CAUGHT!
    And it is OBVIOUS to me that there is more than one!!
    If the Foo sh*ts...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

Nasal, this is not about you...stop the drama. I am a Bostonian and I am not insulted by life going on.
    I am heartbroken about the little boy and the young ladies who lost their lives.
    Just stop it, we have enough drama without yours.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

11 members found this post helpful.

Westboro is planning to picket at the funerals -- "God sent the bombs" http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/...st-church-says
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**