The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Bearcat and Hightide, one of the oldest (started in 1964, I believe) and highly respected therapeutic riding centers in the country is just a bit north of Boston: Windrush Farm. Started and run for many years by the incomparable Marge Kittredge, a dedicated team keeps her vision alive and growing. The therapy they provide has gone beyond the initial definition. I know they've worked with veterans and also troubled youths who have been referred by the courts. They understand that part of the healing the horses provide is emotional.

Would COTHers be interested in and willing to make donations to a fund there specifically for victims and family members of yesterday's tragedy? If so I can contact them to set it up.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I just cannot even fathom WHY someone would do this. Of course, I'm still waiting to get some inkling on an explanation about the CT and CO shootings. I mean....why would someone ruin anonymous peoples' lives in such a tragic way. I know there's no answer. Just venting...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Well I went to work today. Was debating on whether or not I wanted to go, but so far so good.

I'm eating lunch in my office now, with the window open, listening to the constant sound of sirens outside. Fair amont of police and National Guard around. Lots of plainclothes too. They put up a barracade around City Hall, guarded by cops and National Guard. Looks like you have to go through them to get into City Hall. Glad I don't have to go there today.

Oddly quiet here. Hardly anyone on the T this AM. I think lots of people stayed home.

My third floor neighbor got caught up in the post explosion chaos. She isn't hurt, thank God, but she lost all of her stuff running away. Her friend, who was running, got shrapnel in the leg. It sounds like the leg is going to be ok though.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Anti abortion again probably not. The Boston Marathon doesn't seen like their kind of target.
    When I ran the Philadephia Marathon there were some scary aggressive anti-abortion protestors taking up a big chunk of the road on one of the final turns. Huge posters & charging at us waving signs. Anyway I wouldn't rule out anyone at this point, too many scary radical factions that think the ends justify their means, no matter who get's hurt.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    We had better figure out very soon who indeed is trying to destroy this country or we will not long have that ability to find peace. For those of use who want to honor the dead by insuring that these kinds of activities cease around the world forever, I suggest reading this.

http://larouchepac.com/factsheet Fact Sheet: Obama's Al Qaeda Saudi Connections: Open Up the 911 report's suppressed 28 pages!

Take some kind of action, mourning for what we have lost without action to insure this will not destroy us entirely and going about our daily business as usual is the height of immorality.
    Calamber, I'm 100% with you on this, though I'm afraid we are in the minority here. There is more going on in this country than foolish political banter. A nation-wrecker is in position to take down the USA from within. Those who don't believe it will find out too late, I'm afraid.

The afore mentioned aside....

I'm extremely dissapointed in this subspecies of humanity, capable of such sensless destruction. What goes wrong in someones head to make them think (they're not thinking) wrecking peoples lives is the right thing to do?

Whoever is responsible for this, may they rot in a thousand hells.

4 members found this post helpful.

Can you imagine living in a part of the world where events like this are commonplace?

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    We had better figure out very soon who indeed is trying to destroy this country or we will not long have that ability to find peace. For those of use who want to honor the dead by insuring that these kinds of activities cease around the world forever, I suggest reading this.

http://larouchepac.com/factsheet Fact Sheet: Obama's Al Qaeda Saudi Connections: Open Up the 911 report's suppressed 28 pages!

Take some kind of action, mourning for what we have lost without action to insure this will not destroy us entirely and going about our daily business as usual is the height of immorality.
    Just stop this please. It is not the time nor the place for irrational fear mongering.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Actually the people "spewing" have been the ones condemning those of us who speculated on the identity of the bombers.

FWIW I am one of the people who speculated on the guilty party.

And I'm not sorry.

Though I am retired I was a product support engineer for income tax prep software. I solved problems and the first step was to find the cause. For two reasons. First if you found the cause you were usually well on the way to fixing the problem and second, to prevent it from happening again.

So yep, I'll look to assign blame.

North Korea, not likely, not splashy enough. Un wants to show off his toys.

Muslims, not likely, not big enough though there is the possibility that part of the plot fizzled.

Lone individual....possible and hard to detect....the Unibomber was very hard to track down. Law enforcement got very lucky with McVeigh

Lone individual or small group associated with the Tea Party ....possible, Boston, Tax Day.

The fact that I want to find out the cause does not diminish my concern for the victims. I want to find the cause to prevent more victims.
    Thank the Good Lord we aren't counting on YOU to solve this thing. I think you can put your super slueth talents to bed for the night as I don't expect the FBI to be knocking on your door for an opinion any time soon. Good thing, as I'd hope the investigators actually chasing this thing down are open to wherever the evidence leads them and not already casting aspersions at one political party for the devastation.

Libs did the same thing with the CO shooting - immediately started running the pic and info on the WRONG Jim Holmes just because there was a guy with that name that was a member of the local TEA party. Turned out to be completely WRONG, but hey they got their jabs in right up front, eh? Wonder if they ever apologized to that guy?
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Thank the Good Lord we aren't counting on YOU to solve this thing. I think you can put your super slueth talents to bed for the night as I don't expect the FBI to be knocking on your door for an opinion any time soon. Good thing, as I'd hope the investigators actually chasing this thing down are open to wherever the evidence leads them and not already casting aspersions at one political party for the devastation.

Libs did the same thing with the CO shooting - immediately started running the pic and info on the WRONG Jim Holmes just because there was a guy with that name that was a member of the local TEA party. Turned out to be completely WRONG, but hey they got their jabs in right up front, eh? Wonder if they ever apologized to that guy?
    WOW Over react much?

Aspersions?"Lone individual or small group associated with the Tea Party ....possible, Boston, Tax Day."
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

I can't seriously believe anyone thinks the Tea Party could be responsible for such violence. That is stupid beyond belief. Who do you all think is in the Tea Party anyway? Guess what...people like ME. I'm a member. No, I have no desire to go blow up people to make some sick political statement. Seriously...that is so stupid. People need to open their minds a bit and quit watching mainstream media and all that stupid hype and letting their commonsense be overrun by emotion. THINK for yourself!

Yesterday what did this Tea Party member do when I heard the horrific news? I prayed and I cried. I cried again today when I heard the updated news of the casualties on a local newscast.

Of course there are nuts in every group...Political groups, religions, etc...but to paint a broad brush like that only shows one's ignorance.

I also say this....if we let this attack drive a further wedge between us and finish the job of dividing America that has already been started along the lines or race, religion, social class, and income, than we are letting these bastards win. WE must stick together, we must not be afraid, and we must fight back. Now is the time to forget our differences in politics or social issues like gay marriage and remember that FIRST and FOREMOST, we are AMERICANs.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I can't seriously believe anyone thinks the Tea Party could be responsible for such violence.
    Haters are going to hate. Some people here are making that very clear. They see it as a great time to bash people they like to hate on instead of a time that we all need to stand together against the evil out there.

I do not really care what political offiliation the bomber idiot is. The bomber is evil, period. It does not mean their whole group/party/religion/color/nation/etc are evil. But this person or group of people are evil.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Haters are going to hate. Some people here are making that very clear. They see it as a great time to bash people they like to hate on instead of a time that we all need to stand together against the evil out there.

I do not really care what political offiliation the bomber idiot is. The bomber is evil, period. It does not mean their whole group/party/religion/color/nation/etc are evil. But this person or group of people are evil.
    ^This.

My niece and family live outside Boston - she covers most of Eastern Mass. in her business. Classmates just seen in a reunion last summer all live in the area. A few are runners. One's wife was in the race, but not near the finish line when it happened. Have driven through there a million times when I was living between here and Maine. Thinking of all of you in the area, and those with participants who are your family and friends. Sorry this has shaken us so.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    People need to open their minds a bit and quit watching mainstream media and all that stupid hype and letting their commonsense be overrun by emotion. THINK for yourself!
    This /\ a million times over!!!

Looks like the bomber used pressure cookers:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-16-12-13-07

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    How can people be amazed/shocked/angered at cruelty and violence like what happened again today and then be crappy to other people on the internet hours later? They must not realize that they're a facet of the same thing...
    Oh, it started within MINUTES of the first news reports. Truly awful stuff, which actually fills me with more despair than the bombings themselves.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

5 members found this post helpful.

I have to say, I did find myself hoping that it's just a random crazy person with some kind of grudge. I really don't want it to be a right wing, left wing, anti-abortion, anti-tax, or any religious affiliation terrorist. I hope it was just a random act of violence by one very crazy nutjob.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

6 members found this post helpful.