The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Very sad this has happened. Whomever did this is just sick in the head.

All those dedicated athletes. My heart goes out to them. My thoughts and prayers are with them, their families, and all involved.

emancipation day parade here in DC today; lots of police out. many extra four legged officers in the subway yesterday. we're all swivelling our heads around out on the street.

FBI press conf on boston about to start.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

All I keep thinking is that there are people on this planet who live with these kinds of events every single day.

And that makes me kind of wish I could stop the world and get off.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

8 members found this post helpful.

My thoughts and prayers are for those who died, the injured and their loved ones.

This thread should be for them and not a political disscussion.

If you want to make this about politics, then go start another thread and spew all you want.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

4 members found this post helpful.

Question

Watching the press conference now.

I know it is way, way, way, way too early for this, but when the time comes I would like to know how to go about helping those that have lost limbs in this tragic event. It is just haunting me and I can't imagine peacefully watching an event on a sunny day and the next minute having both legs blasted off or facing amputation at the hospital. My husband is a racer (ski randonee) so I spectate a lot.
    So when the time is right months from now, I'd like to be able to help with therapeutic riding or adaptive skiing for those affected. Probably by making a financial contribution as I am quite far from Boston. If anyone from the area knows of such support program being set up in the future, please pass it on.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

3 members found this post helpful.

My best friend's dad, who considers me his 4th daughter, crossed the finish line at 4:11. The first bomb went off at 4:09.

He is fine and I am SO incredibly grateful right now. That was way too close. I cried like crazy when we heard he was safe. I feel sick!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    My thoughts and prayers are for those who died, the injured and their loved ones.

This thread should be for them and not a political disscussion.

If you want to make this about politics, then go start another thread and spew all you want.
    Actually the people "spewing" have been the ones condemning those of us who speculated on the identity of the bombers.

FWIW I am one of the people who speculated on the guilty party.

And I'm not sorry.

Though I am retired I was a product support engineer for income tax prep software. I solved problems and the first step was to find the cause. For two reasons. First if you found the cause you were usually well on the way to fixing the problem and second, to prevent it from happening again.

So yep, I'll look to assign blame.

North Korea, not likely, not splashy enough. Un wants to show off his toys.

Muslims, not likely, not big enough though there is the possibility that part of the plot fizzled.

Lone individual....possible and hard to detect....the Unibomber was very hard to track down. Law enforcement got very lucky with McVeigh

Lone individual or small group associated with the Tea Party ....possible, Boston, Tax Day.

The fact that I want to find out the cause does not diminish my concern for the victims. I want to find the cause to prevent more victims.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Funny, the idiots on the right are blaming Obama, the idiots on the left are blaming the tea party. Grow up, you guys.
    This needs to be repeated. Let the finger pointing of the political nature happen in other threads. Not here. Not now. Stop putting a divide in the world. If nothing else let this tragic event bring people together.

Two fisted jingles for everyone involved.

The more I watch the coverage the more impressed I am about mankind. So many people helped. No thought of their own safety (other explosions, blood, etc), they just helped. Not just the first responders who are getting all the praise (which they do deserve), but the bystanders who just happened to be there jumped in to help. Thank goodness the few evil are so outweighed by so many amazing people.

ETA - Carolprodm, why not leave all the fun speculating to those actually doing the investigating? Anything we say here is just us slinging mud at people who may or may not be involved. It serves no purpose other than to attempt to give a black eye to someone (or a group of someones) you do not like.
    I agree that preventing future issues does mean you have to understand this issue but at this point there are not enough facts to understand and the political crap is just not wanted or needed.

7 members found this post helpful.

I have lived in Massachusetts my whole life, three of which I was a resident of Boston. I cannot count the number of "Marathon Mondays" I have gone to watch the Red Sox game to be followed by cheering on the runners of the Boston Marathon.

I am a nearly 15 year member of the Massachusetts Army National Guard. I spent a year in Kabul, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

At approximately 2:50 yesterday probably thousands of lives changed in the city I love. While I have committed myself to a profession which is in the business of defending freedom, inherently exposing myself to scenes like this, none of these inocent victims or their friends and families deserved to experience the panic, shock, pain, fear, injury, or death that ensued. Among the dead is an 8 year old boy, waiting to watch his father cross the finish line. His sister and his mother remain in critical condition. I pray they and everyone else touched by this horrific tragedy have the strength to get through this and move on with their lives. I hope those responsible show themselves to admit guilt in their cowardly actions.

My hat is off to every agency reacting to the tragedy. The money and training invested to react to an incident like this left Boston well prepared and their reaction showed it. From the first responders to the medical staffs of all the area hospitals, everyone did an outstanding job.

I personally value liberty over nearly all else. I also place high value on personal responsibility. I think in the wake of an attack on Americans, on American soil, it is important to not live in fear and I remember a quote by Benjamin Franklin, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." I will not live in fear.

This morning I ran my anger out as best I could. This afternoon I will ride to find the peace that comes with hacking my mare in the sunshine and rolling fields I am so blessed to have in this wonderful Nation.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    All I keep thinking is that there are people on this planet who live with these kinds of events every single day.

And that makes me kind of wish I could stop the world and get off.
    That crossed my mind also.

AMTefft, thank you for your post and your service to all of us.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    My best friend's dad, who considers me his 4th daughter, crossed the finish line at 4:11. The first bomb went off at 4:09.

He is fine and I am SO incredibly grateful right now. That was way too close. I cried like crazy when we heard he was safe. I feel sick!
    He kept running towards the finish even though he heard the explosions? That is dedication. I thought they made everyone stop running and diverted them. Glad he is ok.

We had better figure out very soon who indeed is trying to destroy this country or we will not long have that ability to find peace. For those of use who want to honor the dead by insuring that these kinds of activities cease around the world forever, I suggest reading this.

http://larouchepac.com/factsheet Fact Sheet: Obama's Al Qaeda Saudi Connections: Open Up the 911 report's suppressed 28 pages!

Take some kind of action, mourning for what we have lost without action to insure this will not destroy us entirely and going about our daily business as usual is the height of immorality.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

We had better figure out very soon who indeed is trying to destroy this country or we will not long have that ability to find peace. For those of use who want to honor the dead, injured and traumatized by insuring that these kinds of activities cease around the world forever, I suggest reading this.

http://larouchepac.com/factsheet Fact Sheet: Obama's Al Qaeda Saudi Connections: Open Up the 911 report's suppressed 28 pages!

Take some kind of action, mourning for what we have lost without action to insure this will not destroy us entirely and going about our daily business as usual is the height of immorality.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Actually the people "spewing" have been the ones condemning those of us who speculated on the identity of the bombers.

FWIW I am one of the people who speculated on the guilty party.

And I'm not sorry.

Though I am retired I was a product support engineer for income tax prep software. I solved problems and the first step was to find the cause. For two reasons. First if you found the cause you were usually well on the way to fixing the problem and second, to prevent it from happening again.

So yep, I'll look to assign blame.

North Korea, not likely, not splashy enough. Un wants to show off his toys.

Muslims, not likely, not big enough though there is the possibility that part of the plot fizzled.

Lone individual....possible and hard to detect....the Unibomber was very hard to track down. Law enforcement got very lucky with McVeigh

Lone individual or small group associated with the Tea Party ....possible, Boston, Tax Day.

The fact that I want to find out the cause does not diminish my concern for the victims. I want to find the cause to prevent more victims.
    You forgot, anti-gay group or individual a la Westboro Church or anti-abortion group or individual, white supremist or anti-government militia group a la McVeigh and Co., radical gun rights individual or group - "see you can kill lots of people without guns" type.

Bottomline, we can speculate all we want but it is way too early and there isn't enough info to cast blame on anyone right now. However, the fact that no group has come forward to take credit for the bombings makes me think maybe crazy individual.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    He kept running towards the finish even though he heard the explosions? That is dedication. I thought they made everyone stop running and diverted them. Glad he is ok.
    He was pretty much AT the finish line when the bombs went off behind him. I don't think he even knew what it was at first.

I guess I read that wrong. I thought he finished two minutes after the bombs went off. Either way, glad he is ok.

AMTefft, thank you for your post and your service to all of us.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Watching the press conference now.

I know it is way, way, way, way too early for this, but when the time comes I would like to know how to go about helping those that have lost limbs in this tragic event. It is just haunting me and I can't imagine peacefully watching an event on a sunny day and the next minute having both legs blasted off or facing amputation at the hospital. My husband is a racer (ski randonee) so I spectate a lot.
    So when the time is right months from now, I'd like to be able to help with therapeutic riding or adaptive skiing for those affected. Probably by making a financial contribution as I am quite far from Boston. If anyone from the area knows of such support program being set up in the future, please pass it on.
    This is a wonderful post. The most well known therapeutic riding center in the area is Lovelane, though there's probably others I'm not remembering.

So glad to hear some people are safe. Watching the news is definitely saddening, but seeing all the people who immediately rushed to help when it went off is hopeful.

Looks like a flight from Philadelphia to Boston was just evacuated because of a suspicious package. Sincerely hoping there is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    You forgot, anti-gay group or individual a la Westboro Church or anti-abortion group or individual, white supremist or anti-government militia group a la McVeigh and Co., radical gun rights individual or group - "see you can kill lots of people without guns" type.

Bottomline, we can speculate all we want but it is way too early and there isn't enough info to cast blame on anyone right now. However, the fact that no group has come forward to take credit for the bombings makes me think maybe crazy individual.
    Just because I didn't mention them does not mean I didn't think of them. BTW I did mention McVeigh.
    Anti Gay....nah
    White Supremist, probably not
    Anti government
    Anti abortion again probably not. The Boston Marathon doesn't seen like their kind of target.

Crazy gun nut....maybe, I didn't think of that
    Just plain crazy, possible

Evidently the police/FBI did search an apartment occupied by a Saudi man so maybe I shouldn't have discounted the possibility that it was Muslim based. Most of the terrorists on 9/11 were Saudies.

But Boston and tax day just make me think Tea Party. If it had been LA or NYC I wouldn't have made that connection.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.