The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

All I know is that I am always apprehensive when April rolls around. My goddaughter was at Columbine HS and I graduated from Va Tech. Don't know where the lunacy comes from, left, right, whatever; April now brings worry along with daffodils.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm a few hours outside of Boston, but I have friends who go to school in the city. Thankfully everyone I know is ok and accounted for. My thoughts and prayers go out to those effected by the bombings today. This was such a senseless attack, it breaks my heart.

My husband's family is in Medford and surrounding areas and my mother in law volunteers at the JFK library. He has a cousin who was usually runs, but this year he didn't, as he just returned from Afghan and instead of spectating, their daughter was sick and they were at the doctor's office. Thank God for a fever.
    We are just stunned. I think I have been most apprehensive because one daughter was flying home from a weekend trip to NYC and my son is in Europe. I kept watching and waiting to see what other cities would be hit next. Thank God, that did not happen.
    Just absolutely heartbreaking. This world continues to just get more and more messed up.

Truly heartbreaking! So much more so when it's on our soil. Just don't understand how people can do these things to each other. Lived in Boston in
    the late 1960's when ex-DH was in the Navy for a couple of years and enjoyed it.

Hope everyone's friends check in soon, safe and sound.

Wow. Posters on this thread are seriously already casting blame at Republicans and the Tea Party? Just.....Klassy. It's not enough that people are dead and others are maimed for life and traumatized - some have to come here and be divisive without any evidence of affiliation between these horrible, horrible attacks and ANY group at this moment for the sake of getting their political jabs in. Frankly, that behavior sucks and you should be ashamed.
    How about if right now we just focus on comforting the living and finding the POS who did this? Surely you guys can wait another day or so to make this about politics?

I pray for peace in the hearts of those who lost a loved one today, lost a limb or lost their confidence in the world around them. May everyone affected recover swiftly.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    Wow. Posters on this thread are seriously already casting blame at Republicans and the Tea Party? Just.....Klassy. It's not enough that people are dead and others are maimed for life and traumatized - some have to come here and be divisive without any evidence of affiliation between these horrible, horrible attacks and ANY group at this moment for the sake of getting their political jabs in. Frankly, that behavior sucks and you should be ashamed.
    How about if right now we just focus on comforting the living and finding the POS who did this? Surely you guys can wait another day or so to make this about politics?

I pray for peace in the hearts of those who lost a loved one today, lost a limb or lost their confidence in the world around them. May everyone affected recover swiftly.
    You beat me to the punch. Thanks for your post.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post

Amen
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

5 members found this post helpful.

If we think clearly, we will all remember the past , the violent and senseless acts that we have endured in the U.S.(and we see much less of them, than do so many other nations).

This "terrorism" has been perpetrated by people who are motivated to violence in the name of their agenda, political or religious, or by mental illness.

It doesn't matter who these people are or what their motivation is. The behaviour is unacceptable.
    When people kill in the name of religion, there are millions of people who share that religion and are horrified that their faith is used as an excuse for the murder of innocents.

When people kill in the name of politics, there are millions of people that share similar political beliefs, and they are horrified that someone who identifies themselves as a fellow, in politics, murders innocents for the "cause".

It doesn't matter, whatever the twisted reasoning behind this horror.

It should not divide us. We can't allow it.

No group, political liberal or conservative, no religion, Christian, Muslim, Jew, or Atheist should be held accountable for the actions of the murderous people who identify themselves with the group.

We have every right to be angry with those responsible, but ONLY with those responsible, not with the group they claim to represent.

We cannot let them win, by turning us against each other. We have to stand together in each of our communities, against violence as a solution for our differences of opinion..

Again , sending hope and comfort to all in Boston.

30 members found this post helpful.

We Americans are spoiled. Despite isolated, but dramatic, incidents such as the Oklahoma bombing and 9/11, we are spoiled and complacent. We've not been invaded, and we haven't been subjected to the terrorism, both from internal/domestic and/or external sources, that Europe and Africa have been subjected to.

It was so courageous of the one citizen to tackle and hold the guy that is a suspect in the bombing in Boston. That suspect could have been wired with a bomb, but the citizen risked his own life to tackle and hold the suspect. A profile in courage that was amazing. Terrorism is coming to America. If you see something or someone who looks suspicious, tell the cops. And video cameras/security cameras are our friends.

3 members found this post helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Exactly right alittlegray. I pray for the child who died, and his sister who was horribly injured, for their mother who is in serious condition with horrible wounds. I am thinking and praying for the survivors, the wounded, the people who ran to the explosion instead of away from it, and those who will never be the same after this horrible act of terror. I grieve for those we've lost, and for those who will never be the same again. But the worst events bring out the best in so many. Those who ran to help, the military, first responders, and bystanders who risked their lives to help are such good people. Yesterday and last night many residents of Boston, and restaurants reached out to strangers to give them shelter, food, and care, and that makes me proud.

The person who committed this horrific act will find out that the American people do not forgive an act like this. Whether this is one of us, or a foreigner, they will pay.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I grew up a few miles outside of Boston, lived here all my life, and I certainly hope there truly is something called Karma for the person or persons who did this heinous act. This was suppose to be a beautiful, fun day for thousands of people ,an instead some POS ruined it. For what?? Fame? No one has come forward to claim it. Fun? I guess in some sick twisted minded people that would be seen as fun. Whatever the motive, I certainly hope they catch the sorry SOB who did this, killing two and hurting countless others. Just totally senseless.

I also read that some of the Sandy Hook parents were in the VIP seating at the finish line. Fortunately none of them were hurt but I just can't imagine how they felt seeing/ dealing with yet another tragedy. My heart breaks for them.

My thoughts and prayers for all the people and families who have been hurt or have had loved ones hurt or killed. Just such a vile, vile ,not to mention COWARDLY, thing to do.

As long as we have people running TOWARDS the horrific event and not just away from it, *they* don't win.
    Kerri

24 members found this post helpful.

The best quote I've read about this horrible event:

“I don’t know what’s going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths. But here’s what I DO know. If it’s one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. … This is a giant planet and we’re lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they’re pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We’d have eaten ourselves alive long ago,” – Patton Oswalt.

Prayers for the victims and their families....

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    All I know is that I am always apprehensive when April rolls around...
    One big factor is that April is the month where the winter doldrums break and people flood into the outdoors as individuals or to participate in events. The perfect setup for mayhem.

And it does appear that some of the vitriol and hatred from that BB that just collapsed has found its way over here, where it is most certainly NOT welcomed! Go find yourself some other sandbox to soil!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

4 members found this post helpful.

Had a scary few hours of not being able to find my mom, who works at Harvard Public Health and knows enough runners to make me worry that she might've gone down to cheer.

She's okay, though, and made it home on the T, where the conductors were searching bags. There were two marathoners on her train who had gotten diverted at mile 26, and didn't have anything but the clothes on their backs and their space blankets. By the time they got to the end of the line, they had clothes, food, and money or a ride to get home, courtesy of the people on the train. Same for a father and young son who had to abandon their truck, which was parked in an area that got locked down.

Like my mom said, "New Englanders are funny like that--on a normal day, we don't make eye contact, but when the chips are down, there's nobody quicker to offer help."
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    One big factor is that April is the month where the winter doldrums break and people flood into the outdoors as individuals or to participate in events. The perfect setup for mayhem.

And it does appear that some of the vitriol and hatred from that BB that just collapsed has found its way over here, where it is most certainly NOT welcomed! Go find yourself some other sandbox to soil!

No one knows or is saying yet who did this or what motivation it had.

But, for whoever said many follow extremists and don't blow people up?
    That is true and we are thankful for that.
    Then, they should understand that fanatic groups also bring the ones out that will go on to blow people up.
    Better be prepared to assume some guilt if that happens to be so here.
    The Inquisition, dictators, 9/11, beating black, gay people, blowing abortion clinics, barns and trucks and such didn't happen in a vacuum.
    Some made others a target with their fanaticism.
    Lets try not to become fanatics.

Can't imagine how those there can cope with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jess h View Post
    Had a scary few hours of not being able to find my mom, who works at Harvard Public Health and knows enough runners to make me worry that she might've gone down to cheer.

She's okay, though, and made it home on the T, where the conductors were searching bags. There were two marathoners on her train who had gotten diverted at mile 26, and didn't have anything but the clothes on their backs and their space blankets. By the time they got to the end of the line, they had clothes, food, and money or a ride to get home, courtesy of the people on the train. Same for a father and young son who had to abandon their truck, which was parked in an area that got locked down.

Like my mom said, "New Englanders are funny like that--on a normal day, we don't make eye contact, but when the chips are down, there's nobody quicker to offer help."
    That is so good to hear, in the midst of the tragedy there.
    Thank you.

2 members found this post helpful.

One of my husbands best friends is from Boston but now lives in Kentucky, he went up to visit his sick father and run in the 5k..he was making his way to the finish line yesterday but turned back because of the crowds, he decided to spend the rest of the day with his dad. So grateful that he wasnt there, but my heart breaks for those that were injured, and for those that didnt have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Honestly, it's bad, but after 9-11 I'm mostly just thinking "It could have been a lot worse." (On 9-11 I lived less than half a mile from the south wall of the Pentagon and some people who lived in my building missed being killed only because they hadn't gotten in to work yet. We could head and see everything from our apartments.) I begin to understand what it must have been like when the IRA was bombing places and people just got numb to it. .
    You don't even have to go back in time to the IRA bombings. There were 42 people killed in street bombings in Iraq just yesterday. I think you could safely say most of us are numb to that, and I'd be as guilty as anyone.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-