The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    And "On the 18th of April in '75..." I'm betting thankfully inept Tea Party "Patriots"
    My husband said today was the 4th anniversary of the modern day Tea Party founding...

4 members found this post helpful.

I lived about 4 blocks away from Copley Square for many many years, and have had the lengthy and sad task of going through my FB friends list of hundreds of Boston music scene people who still live in the area. A few are still unaccounted for but mostly media who are probably working and musicians who probably have practice or gigs....
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    One factor in survival was that there is a huge medical tent, and lots of medical and EMT personnel at the end of the race when this happened. They also had a lot of ambulances that were pressed into service, so transport happened very quickly. The Boston PD will have a tip line set up by tonight for any tips they can get. There have still been no reported claims from overseas groups. 1-800-494-TIPS is the tip line for Boston PD. The President is going to address the nation in a few minutes. No one has been arrested, but the Boston PD is questioning suspects.

THIS. And thanks to all the first responders whoever they were who helped others in all the chaos and confusion. There was a great shot of National Guardsmen pulling down barriers so that the medical personnel could get to the wounded. Some runners ran back to help, too.

JanM, you've done an incredible job of posting solid info on this thread. Thank you.

Keep all those who were harmed, their families and friends and all those who helped in any way in your thoughts and prayers tonight, please.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

And this type of terrorism can happen at ANY event --- that's what scary. I'm volunteering next week at the FIRST Championships, there will be thousands of kids there, and I'm petrified something like the Boston bombing could happen there.

I just read this quote on FB that someone posted and it somehow made me feel slightly better about what happened.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers — so many caring people in this world.” Fred Rogers

♥ Mr. Rodgers
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

15 members found this post helpful.

I really don't want the bullies and the violent to win.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    My husband said today was the 4th anniversary of the modern day Tea Party founding...
    I was O/L right when I heard of this, about when it happened (3:15PM-ishEDT) - some peeps sent a cell-phone shot.
    The VERY first thing I thought of was: Well, they are SURE to blame this, somehow, on Obama.
    Then: Tax Day. Boston Tea Party. OMFG!! But they couldn't be *that* stupid, could they?? Yes they could; they think Rush & Palin & Bachmann, et, al are godz. None the less, it still COULD be a group taking advantage of their blatant ranting idiocy.

7 members found this post helpful.

I am just heartbroken. I was incredibly relieved to learn that one of my friends who is a nurse, who was volunteering at the med tent was ok. She has told me though that nothing could have ever prepared her for what she saw today
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    I really don't want the bullies and the violent to win.
    then don't let them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Funny, the idiots on the right are blaming Obama, the idiots on the left are blaming the tea party. Grow up, you guys.

27 members found this post helpful.

I'm not blaming anyone, yet. I work at Brigham & Womens, about 2 miles from the explosions and one of the hospitals that was taking in the injured and *may* (with the emphasis on *may*) have had an injured suspect brought in who was questioned by police/FBI, but that is only a rumor. I do not work with patients at all but my office is 2 floors above the ER entrance for ambulances and there were a lot out there around 3:30 or so. Hospital was on lockdown and when I left work they were not letting anyone in except hospital employees and people who really really needed the ER.

I waited to leave work until 5:30 so there would be a chance for crowds to clear out etc. I took public transit home as usual and it was very quiet... sort of like it was on 9/11 but not quite as extreme. didn't really fall apart until I got home. I now have too much wine in my system and a cut finger...

Currently they are saying 3 dead and over 100 injured, some critically who may not survive.

I'm reserving opinions on who might have been involved, because there is no clear info right now.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Funny, the idiots on the right are blaming Obama, the idiots on the left are blaming the tea party. Grow up, you guys.
    Thank you Eventer 13.

My old condo is less than a mile from there, two of our family friends have offices in the glass faced building directly across from the BPL. We still have one family friend who is unaccounted for (or was, as of late this evening). The Copley Square farmer's market where I get all of my produce when I'm in town (we're closer to Charles River Plaza/MGH now) is about 50 feet from the finish line. I wanted nothing more than to get on a plane tonight and go home and be in the city that I love and be there for our friends, especially for our friend who is still not home. So stupid and ridiculous, but I'm absolutely heartsick. Boston is my home and it is so hard to be 1500 miles away when a tragedy like this occurs.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    I was O/L right when I heard of this, about when it happened (3:15PM-ishEDT) - some peeps sent a cell-phone shot.
    The VERY first thing I thought of was: Well, they are SURE to blame this, somehow, on Obama.
    Then: Tax Day. Boston Tea Party. OMFG!! But they couldn't be *that* stupid, could they?? Yes they could; they think Rush & Palin & Bachmann, et, al are godz. None the less, it still COULD be a group taking advantage of their blatant ranting idiocy.
    word

3 members found this post helpful.

Apparently, this very appropriate post, quoted above, needs to be repeated.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

15 members found this post helpful.

That excellent Bostonian Amanda Palmer posted this earlier in the evening:
    http://instagram.com/p/YJXCQpwW8u/#
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkaloosa View Post
    And this type of terrorism can happen at ANY event --- that's what scary. I'm volunteering next week at the FIRST Championships, there will be thousands of kids there, and I'm petrified something like the Boston bombing could happen there.
    If you are petrified, then the bad guys win. Don't let them!

Those of you so sure of the responsibility of the perpetrators of these heinous acts should remember Richard Jewel's motives for the bombing of the Atlanta Olympics. Oh...wait...it wasn't Jewel, it was Eric Rudoph. Gee, Mr. Jewel, we really are sorry for destroying your life. But, hey, the 24 hr., instant news cycle is a harsh mistress. We're sure you understand. If not, screw you. We're the Talking Heads. We do what we will, when we will. Ain't the First Amendment grand?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

18 members found this post helpful.

This is home for some of us and some of us still have people missing. Can we please put the politics to bed and unite on a human front? We know nothing of motive or responsibility. Right now it's about those who are injured and those who have lost their lives. Please.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

13 members found this post helpful.

How can people be amazed/shocked/angered at cruelty and violence like what happened again today and then be crappy to other people on the internet hours later? They must not realize that they're a facet of the same thing...

14 members found this post helpful.