The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

One of my students who attends MIT was running, and I have been having a heart attack, but just heard from her brother she is OK, but closer than any of us would have wanted.

Praying for all those affected!
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

1 members found this post helpful.

My father and step-mother are down there and were right around the corner from the first two explosions. AP is reporting that cellphone services have been shut down to prevent potential remote detonations (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/offic...ut-down-boston). I understand the precaution, but it's scary to be out of touch with loved ones during this time.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

My horse massage therapist was running in it...she has let us know she is ok...unbelieveable that we have this much crazy in the world
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Prayers for the victims of this monstrous crime. Our son has 2 friends running in it...haven't heard yet. And he usually runs it as well. Not this year as it conflicted with another race he's doing.

I, too, was impressed with the people who ran TOWARDS the explosion. Truly selfless heros.
    Ride like you mean it.

Truly sad. I don't understand people sometimes and I guess that kind of craziness I'm glad I don't understand or I'd be just as nuts. Prayers to all that were injured and the families of everyone and to the people that just had to see such horror! Props to all those bystanders we see on tv that started ripping off their shirts trying to help others and how fast everyone was in helping.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

JFK incident was unrelated; no injuries.

trying to get emails thru to my cousins up there...

jingling for everyone affected.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

As an EMT I have had countless drill on mass casualty incidents. I so wish I was there and could put that training to use. Prayers for everyone involved.

This hits too close to home. I competed at just a small CT schooling show yesterday, but I can't believe the feeling of the day was that much different from most of the runners and spectators at the marathon--just people out to have a good time doing something they love. I can't imagine having something like this mar what should be such a great day.

I have a high-school friend who works at Mass General waiting for casualties. Bless her.

Watching it here on tv in Australia. Hugs to Boston and lots of jingles.

P.

Latest-wifi and cell are still up, and being left up for people to contact loved ones, and so first responders can communicate. As reported earlier, JFK library was an unrelated electrical fire, both bombs were apparently left in trash cans, and possibly by a male. 3 dead, hospitals (some of the best trauma centers in the world) have treated over 100. The reporter who shot the video says if this had happened earlier when the first finishers and elite runners had reached the finish line the toll would have been much greater, because the crowds were smaller when the explosions happened. Another press conference at 7 p.m. EDT. Air Force is flying cover on Boston to protect the skies, and I'm sure this is happening elsewhere. Special report on NBC at 10 p.m. tonight, and I'm sure on other channels tonight as well. People in the Boston area are being told to avoid crowds, and stay alert. A third device was found, and either disarmed or detonated by Boston PD EOD personnel. I'm sure the lines are jammed, so if you have friends or relatives in the area they might have problems calling out. Boston.com has extensive coverage. People are being asked to stay off the streets.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Terrible, senseless, sure hope they figure who is behind it this time and why.

Such a senseless tragedy... the world we live in today is quite scary.

As for the suspect, a few websites have said a 20 year old Saudi national is being guarded at the hospital as a potential suspect?? Unconfirmed of course. Obama is expected to address the nation around 6pm.

My graduate finance professor was there running, but we have word that both she and her family are safe.

My thoughts are with the runners
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    Such a senseless tragedy... the world we live in today is quite scary.

As for the suspect, a few websites have said a 20 year old Saudi national is being guarded at the hospital as a potential suspect?? Unconfirmed of course. Obama is expected to address the nation around 6pm.
    He might just have to be guarded because terrorist= muslim these days

This could be a home spun job, it certainly has some of those signatures, date wise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

One factor in survival was that there is a huge medical tent, and lots of medical and EMT personnel at the end of the race when this happened. They also had a lot of ambulances that were pressed into service, so transport happened very quickly. The Boston PD will have a tip line set up by tonight for any tips they can get. There have still been no reported claims from overseas groups. 1-800-494-TIPS is the tip line for Boston PD. The President is going to address the nation in a few minutes. No one has been arrested, but the Boston PD is questioning suspects.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

^Alagirl you are right -- BPD has just officially denied reports that a suspect is in custody.

Prayers to all. Horrible thing to happen.

We were there last year, my husband ran. It was so tight at the finish line for spectators that there was no where to move. I am certain that the medical tents (which were well used last year with the heat) were a blessing. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone there.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Honestly, it's bad, but after 9-11 I'm mostly just thinking "It could have been a lot worse." (On 9-11 I lived less than half a mile from the south wall of the Pentagon and some people who lived in my building missed being killed only because they hadn't gotten in to work yet. We could head and see everything from our apartments.) I begin to understand what it must have been like when the IRA was bombing places and people just got numb to it. Now I'm just telling myself most of the people I know in Boston weren't likely to be there and probably just have more to do than update Facebook or anything.

Prayers for all...whoever did this is evil, pure evil.