The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ichthammol. It's super annoying to deal with because it's a thick paste but IME, it was the only thing that worked. I started by washing the legs really well before the first application and then applying daily. I washed everything off after about 2 weeks and VOILA.. mud fever was gone!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    A mixture of desitin, antifungal cream, triple antibiotic and dex has worked great for me.
    THIS exactly, after washing with a gentle dishwashing soap and towel drying.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    Ichthammol. It's super annoying to deal with because it's a thick paste but IME, it was the only thing that worked. I started by washing the legs really well before the first application and then applying daily. I washed everything off after about 2 weeks and VOILA.. mud fever was gone!
    Was the skin gone too?

Please don't use icthammol - it can burn the skin. There are much better options out there...see previous posts.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Default Cheap and Effective

Tinactin, or the even cheaper generic version, has worked perfectly for me within a couple of days.

Check out my blog
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr

I tried tons of topical goops and what worked best for me was to wash with a chlorhexidine shampoo (I've used 2 brands and notice no difference between brands), let the shampoo set for ~10 mins, then lightly rub it to see what crusties will come off without hurting my horse, then rinse and dry completely with a hair dryer. Then cover with desitin. Repeat the washing/drying maybe a couple of days later and reapply desitin more often (daily). If it's a teeny tiny size of a pea or smaller crusty that is questionable on whether it's scratches, TZon ointment and desitin works for me, but not on a larger patch.

It seems like what works best differs from horse to horse though, so you might need to do lots of experimenting.

Most recently my vet recommended I cover a particularly bad patch of scratches after treating with gauze and vet wrap. I was a little freaked because I didn't think you were supposed to cover it, but it cleared up beautifully and maybe more quickly than uncovered! My horse is out 24/7 though so that might be why she said to cover.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Chlorhexadine (Nolvasan) cream 1/2 and 1/2 with
    Desitin cream
    10ml of Dexamethasone or a tube of OTC cortisone cream

Mix together. Slather o the first application, then at least once daily gently massage on a new layer. Do not scrub or pick at scabs. They will loosen.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Was the skin gone too?

Please don't use icthammol - it can burn the skin. There are much better options out there...see previous posts.
    I've never had an issue.

I tried everything on my chestnut mare and this potion worked on her. It does not work as well on my other horse. But here it is:

Mix equal amounts of furacin, DMSO and Panacur worming paste in a Tupperware container. Use rubber gloves. Stir the mixture well, pick the scabs off the scratches and clean with Betadine, rinse and dry well. Coat the area with the potion and leave it on. Do it for 4-5 days in a row. Scratches should clear in a few days and certainly within a week. Keep the horse out of the wet grass if you can during this time.

I use Hydro-plus which is a hydro-cortisone treatment. My vet says you need a cortisone treatment to be effective.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Ack!!! Having to get the vet out tomorrow as the leg with the worst of the scratches is swollen and warm and the big boy is not happy walking around on it

I used the Micro-Tek shampoo and Fungasol cream - his front two legs were fine and have almost cleared up. Not sure what's going on with the hind leg. Will see what the vet says!!

He may have some cellulitis going on in that leg. If there's even the slightest break in the skin it can creep in. Luckily I've only had to deal with it once. It was a real PIA!

IMO you shouldn't pick off the scabs, you should let them soften and come off on their own. When you pick the scabs you can break the skin and leave room for infection.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Vitamin A supplementation worked for the draft mare than came to me as a rescue, with scratches and serious issues about having her back feet handled. I've used it successfully for rainrot with fosters before, and it was just as effective for scratches. 5cc of the cattle injectable, top dressed on feed once a week, usually 3 doses and they are fine. I think this addresses the underlying immune issues.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks BoyleHeightsKid for the suggestion - I've done some reading and I'm sure he has cellulitis boo. Sucks because he has hind gut issues and shouldn't be on bute or antibiotics. Obviously if he needs them he'll have to get them. The vet should be here any minute. Thanks for the post. Really wish I had just left the scratches alone!

Maybe aspirin will be easier on his stomach than bute? The vet had Boy on SMZ's and aspirin. I would also cold hose w/massage, pressure wrap the leg and lunge, walk/trot, for about 10 minutes (if he wasn't too lame on it), then remove the pressure wrap when done. Keeping them stalled will also make it worse. Movement is important to keeping the edema from getting worse.

Is he running a temp? Boy was running a temp too about 102.5. Good luck I hope he's feeling better soon!

eta: I knew a mare whose whole left hind from the hock down blew up from cellulitis because of a tiny little nick in the skin.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

He had a slightly high temp 38.5. She did want to be conservative with the antibiotics and bute because of the hind gut, but he obv does need antibiotics. She gave him a shot of banamine and left me with some bute. I'm going to try not to use it but she said if he seems really uncomfortable tomorrow that i should give him some. I am giving him probiotics with the antibiotics and hopefully that will help. Hopefully he feels better soon

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse had terrible mud fever/scratches. My vet gave me an ointment called Dermavet which cleared it up rather miraculously.

Best thing I've ever used is acne body wash. I would think any acne product with salicylic acid - like the earlier poster suggested Noxzema- would do. The scratches cleared up in a few days.

For mild cases, I've had good luck with Kinetic Equishield.

http://www.kineticvet.com/products/e...ldck-salve.php

For the stubborn cases a concoction with Dex in it was the answer.

Equiderm. I get it from my vet.