The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Cool Your favourite cures for mud fever/scratches

Just like the title says. What are you favourite cures for mud fever/scratches?? I have used a few different things in the past, including baby diaper rash cream.

Thanks in advance!!

1 members found this post helpful.

A mixture of desitin, antifungal cream, triple antibiotic and dex has worked great for me.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Clean thoroughly with Blue Dawn Dishwashing Detergent. It has to be the blue kind. Allow to dry completely, and then apply what BoyleHeightsKid said. (My potion doesn't include dex, whatever that is).

I've been told that baby rash cream works really well..
    Haven't tried it myself though!

4 oz. Desitin, 4 oz. Furacin, splash of DMSO, 1 10 mg packet Dex, mix well and apply with gloves.

Chlorhexidine - apply with a cotton ball so you can get it in between the scabs. Apply daily - soak the scratches really well and the scratches will be gone in no time at all. ONLY thing that ever worked for my old guy and his one white ankle. Cost me about $2-3 for 16 oz from my vet .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    Chlorhexidine - apply with a cotton ball so you can get it in between the scabs. Apply daily - soak the scratches really well and the scratches will be gone in no time at all. ONLY thing that ever worked for my old guy and his one white ankle. Cost me about $2-3 for 16 oz from my vet .
    A variation of this worked for me, too. Nolvasan solution in a spray bottle. Soak pastern well once or twice daily. Scratches were gone in 3-4 days. Easy, cheap and the horse never even knew she was being treated.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Excellent!! Thanks everyone! Big boy Luca says thanks too

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy the Mule View Post
    Clean thoroughly with Blue Dawn Dishwashing Detergent. It has to be the blue kind. Allow to dry completely, and then apply what BoyleHeightsKid said. (My potion doesn't include dex, whatever that is).
    Dex is dexamethazone. It's a steroid you can get from the vet and will help with any inflammation that may be present as can be with scratches.

Chlorhexadine also works well. The last time I went looking for Nolvasan it was hard to find and expensive. Chlorhexadine was easier to find and much cheaper!

This shampoo http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...FbFAMgodnWMAAA did the trick for our TB who was very sensitive to other solutions. Washed his legs daily for the first week then added the spray http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5. We had severe issues last year and this stuff has done just as good a job as the stuff the Vet prescribed us.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Depending on how bad it is...from the best case to the worst.

Chlohexidine scrub
    Muck Itch
    Well Horse
    White Lightning soak.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Only one experience with scratches and NOTHING worked other than, don't clip the white hair too short with clippers used on other horses. Don't get them wet every day. Don't keep them at a facility with a bunch of horses that go to horse shows.

One of my horses had a really bad case of scratches and I tried everything. What worked was bringing him to my property where there are less horses and leaving it alone. It went away in a few weeks. And the last two years being home he hasn't got scratches again. (Knocking on wood)
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I also feel that sometimes when the immune system isn't working as well as it should horses have a tougher time with things like this. Giving my Boy a Powerpac and making sure he's getting all the omega 3's he needs really helped a lot. Now if he has skin issues they are very mild and easy to kick in the butt.

oh and eta: when my old BO started spreading the manure on the pastures, all the horses had terrible scratches the next year and Boy actually got greasy heel. Not sure if that was caused it but she stopped spreading it after that.

I used anti bacterial shampoo I had left over from a skin allergy last year and MTG. Cleared up pretty quick. Not sure if regular shampoo would work just as well

Noxema

1 members found this post helpful.

I have used muck itch with success. My horse had a really bad case last year and I also used silver sulfadiazine cream that I got from the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Chlorhexadine also works well. The last time I went looking for Nolvasan it was hard to find and expensive. Chlorhexadine was easier to find and much cheaper!
    When I say "nolvasan" I'm really talking about a gallon of chlorhexidine concentrate I dilute down into a solution. A gallon of concentrate makes over 100 gallons of solution and cost, oh, $20?

Nolvasan is just easier to type than chlorhexidine

Nolvasan ointment 16oz.
    Penicillin Procaine G 25ml
    Dexamethasone (2mg/ml) 25ml

Mix it all together in the nolvasan container. Apply with gloves (because of the dex). Loved it; effectively treated a severe scratches issue on my young TB a few years back.

I keep a tub of witch's brew. Equal parts, well blended:
    Neosporin
    Vagisil
    Desitin (Ointment, not cream)
    Desenex

Smear onto well cleaned and very dry area. Wrap over night. It will take about 4-7 days for smooth skin. Then keep him out of the mud!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Last year I was "anti-Furazone" even though the vet told me to use it, and tried Desitin and triple abx cream going by recommendations---took about a month to get rid of. I thought that was "the answer" considering a month wasn't even that long.

This year my horse had a small spot of it, used Furazone, it was gone the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis