The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a saddle- payment options?

Just curious- how does a saddle purchase typically work with higher end saddlers? (CWD, Antares, Devocoux, Beval, etc)

I have a certain amount I can spend between savings and the sale of my saddle but if payments are possible it could open up my options. Is that even possible?

Info appreciated!

My experience is that you pay for half of the saddle when placing the order and the other half upon delivery. No payment options. If you want to pay over time, you put the saddle on your credit card.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I paid for my CWD with a credit card, I think that is probably the most common form of payment. I have never heard of anyone making payment, although that doesn't mean its not done. What about getting a small bank loan?

I wish! Sadly that's not an option for me right now (darn student loans)

I've always paid with a credit card. When I ordered a custom saddle, I don't think I paid that much up front, maybe $500 on a $4500 saddle? All my other saddle purchases have been demos, so I was able to get them right away and just had one charge to a credit card.

Ok thanks everyone!

Just bought a custom Antares - you can either pay in full upfront, or pay $2000 upfront & the rest when saddle ships from France.

If you have to ask....

5 members found this post helpful.

Frankly. given that it's possible to get a custom, built to spec saddle for $1,800-2,600... I have trouble seeing a justification for a saddle twice as much if you'd have to make payments on it. Fine if you have the money and want to spend it... but to stretch yourself thin when there are other options out there? I'd explore the other options.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

For my County Sensation I paid $1,000 up front and then the rest was due upon delivery of the saddle. However County allows you to finance the last $1,000 over 12 months interest free so I pay County 1x a month automatically for the last $1,000 of my saddle. I don't know how other brands do this though.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Frankly. given that it's possible to get a custom, built to spec saddle for $1,800-2,600... I have trouble seeing a justification for a saddle twice as much if you'd have to make payments on it. Fine if you have the money and want to spend it... but to stretch yourself thin when there are other options out there? I'd explore the other options.
    Hence my post! Please tell me about these saddles!

I think I paid, $1500.00 up front for my Antares, and the rest was due when the saddle was done, it took 12 weeks, so I made "payments" every time I had some extra money, so my final "payment" was less than it would have been other wise. This time a year it could take 12 to 16 weeks to get the saddle.

There are soooo many saddles on the interwebs that I can't imagine you couldn't find something more within your price range that fits you and at least can be fitted by a saddle fitter for your horse. It takes a little patience (and sometimes a lot of time) but there are some lovely options out there for less.

Thanks everyone, I'd love some suggestions. A few weeks ago I posted asking was it better to spend approximately what my saddle sold for or make an investment in a more "high end" saddle.

I have a young Han/TB who is on the narrow side and the only thing that I have foudn to be a good fit so far is a Butet. Everything else seems to settle in the middle of his back, and by the end of the ride I am hunched over trying to balance myself because I am so far behind the wither.

My budget is 1k-1.6k. Suggest away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post
    Hence my post! Please tell me about these saddles!
    Of the top of my head, saddles that run under $3k new:

Ideal
    Black Country
    Loxley
    Heritage Bespoke
    Hastilow
    Ryder

If you're interested in most of these except the Loxley or the Heritage Bespoke, talk to Annette Gavin at Hastilow USA.

Even 2k is out of my price range

Equestrian Imports has a financing program. Details at http://equestrianimports.com/shop/in...ewDoc&docId=12.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Of the top of my head, saddles that run under $3k new:

Ideal
    Black Country
    Loxley
    Heritage Bespoke
    Hastilow
    Ryder

If you're interested in most of these except the Loxley or the Heritage Bespoke, talk to Annette Gavin at Hastilow USA.
    I had a long reply that was eaten by the interwebz. Kent and Masters is probably the best bet in your price range, especially if you can find a demo or used. nwe they are $1,800-- so you're close to having the budget for a new one. Custom fit, wool flocked, adjustible tree-- decent quality for the price and traditional. I have seen used for $800-900ish. They don't come up commonly but they come up. Annette Gavin would be my first call. She sometimes sells demos and might have a connection to some used.

Or you could rack up consumer debt for some ultra cushy saddle with a fitter who is primarily a salesman and not a horseman. And feel very trendy. And maybe end up with a saddle that won't fit or the company won't stand behind.

Your call! If I only had $1000ish to spend, I'd forget the high end foam French trendy stuff and look for something more afforable to start and likely to work. But that's me.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If you know that a Butet would work, I expect with a bit of patience you could find a used one. Here is a listing for one that sold for well within your budget:

http://www.iselltack.com/products/butet-16-5-cc
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I bought a used CWD from them while at Rolex last year. I was not looking to buy a saddle butthe price and fit were right. I asked if they took payments and the rep said she could work it out. I put down a deposit that I was comfortable with and she offered to make payments of the remaining balance over 2 months with no interest. It worked out perfectly with justa simple question. CWD also takes in trades on used saddles (does not have to be CWD) to put towards your purchase price.