The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 1999
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,267

    Default Dear IRS:

    Dear IRS:
    Is it to late to amend the tax code? I NEED to deduct the Pony!
    Seriously, pony is costing me more then DD!
    Thanks,
    Me!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    4,015

    Default

    YES !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Dear IRS:
    Is it to late to amend the tax code? I NEED to deduct the Pony!
    Seriously, pony is costing me more then DD!
    Thanks,
    Me!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2003
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    You didn't claim PONY as a deduction? What about a dependent care savings account??



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 1, 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,999

    Default

    Right? I would SO love to be able to deduct my pets. Hello, they're MY kids!!!!!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 8, 2004
    Location
    The Great, uh, Green (?!?!) North!
    Posts
    3,807

    Default

    I always think I should be able to claim my pony as a medical expense as she's good for my mental health!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 25, 2006
    Location
    Overland, MO
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Just tell the IRS that your kids walk on all fours, have a lot of hair, and talk funny.
    I'm trying to do that with my dogs.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Right? I would SO love to be able to deduct my pets. Hello, they're MY kids!!!!!
    And another thing!

    My 4-legged children are only a boon to the economy, not a drain. Joe Q. Public will never pay for their health care, their education, their rehabilitation in jail.

    So you can't throw me a little bone of a deduction?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    I was rereading the hobby definitions last night.....Mr Stolen and I certainly would have taxes similar to the 1% if we could deduct horses and hockey...


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 21, 2007
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I always think I should be able to claim my pony as a medical expense as she's good for my mental health!
    I've always been of that opinion myself. In fact, I once a psychologist tell me that I did not need to be in his office. What I needed was to be at a barn with my own horse to ride. I don't think the IRS would let me take it as a medical deduction...sigh.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,995

    Default

    I tried to get the vet's SSN so I could claim him as a dependent, but he refused. Can I report him to the IRS?
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 21, 2007
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I tried to get the vet's SSN so I could claim him as a dependent, but he refused. Can I report him to the IRS?
    If you are contributing to more than 50% of his support then you can claim him!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    My 4-legged children are only a boon to the economy, not a drain. Joe Q. Public will never pay for their health care, their education, their rehabilitation in jail.
    No kidding! SO and I were just saying similar things tonight about the 3 "kids" in the barn.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Fun aside...guess what? I can actually claim my horse moving expense this year due to a job move for my hubby. Woot!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    I've always been of that opinion myself. In fact, I once a psychologist tell me that I did not need to be in his office. What I needed was to be at a barn with my own horse to ride. I don't think the IRS would let me take it as a medical deduction...sigh.
    Exactly. I don't see why they can't write "Horse" on a prescription pad and send it to my insurance company.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I tried to get the vet's SSN so I could claim him as a dependent, but he refused. Can I report him to the IRS?
    Yes... or threaten to ground him and take away his Xbox-- the DVM being your dependent and all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Fun aside...guess what? I can actually claim my horse moving expense this year due to a job move for my hubby. Woot!
    Careful there. You can only do that if your horse is part of your business. I tried and failed at that same thing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  17. #17
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2003
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Careful there. You can only do that if your horse is part of your business. I tried and failed at that same thing.
    If you move (for work, and the move is more than 50 miles) you can claim moving expenses for your pets, except veterinary costs. Huge bonus for us since we moved our dogs internationally and I could have purchased a nice new prospect for what transport and quarantine cost.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.



Similar Threads

  1. Going Lateral in the Walk - How to Amend?
    By SuZQuzie in forum Dressage
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Sep. 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
  2. My dear pony breeders....
    By skyy in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb. 4, 2010, 04:05 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan. 11, 2010, 12:13 PM
  4. Oh Dear.. Looking For Another Pony! North Carolina
    By EqTrainer in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun. 28, 2009, 09:28 PM
  5. Replies: 124
    Last Post: Jun. 14, 2007, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness