The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Summer Camp Spinoff. Horsey Craft Ideas Needed!

The place I've been keeping my horses at (and actually am moving from ) Has asked me if I could have a "day at the farm" for a few little girls.

Basically the farm owner auctioned off four spots at his kids school for a fundraiser inviting the kids over for a day of fun. (I'll actually have to trailer in a few horses for the day) I have a rough idea of how the day will run but I'd like to get a few more Ideas for horsy oriented crafts. Google wasn't a ton of help for me. The girls are all in the 10 yr old range.

My ideas that I have from past horse camps are
    *A stepping stone - you put concrete in a brownie pan then give them a horse shoe and a bunch of pretty/ sparkly rocks and then paint them if they want at the end of the day.

and a bucket/ seat I'm not sure where to get the stuff for this but you take a wooden barrel with a lid then put a piece of foam on the lid and staple horse fabric on for a seat and then paint the bucket with horse shaped sponges.

I also thought about getting cheepish white cowgirl hats and letting them paint them however they want.

Opinions or ideas? Thanks in advance!

for about ten years I was a regional youth director for the AMHA, there are many items available from the Morgan Horse Youth Group

here is a link to the web link

http://www.morganhorse.com/youth/activities/

How many days are you to have these kids?

If there's a Michael's craft store, or similar store, near you, put on some comfortable shoes, take a deep breath, and walk around to see if anything catches your eye.

I get Crayola clay and they shape it into a circle, press a horseshoe into it, and also bought little plastic letters that they use to print their name or their favorite horse's name. We also go on a nature walk and find items to press into the clay, like pinecones or acorn tops.

The craft store may have inexpensive wooden frames and puffy horse/farm related stickers and letter stickers, and they can decorate a frame, then if you've taken photos during the day, ideally you can print one out for each camper that day and they can take it home in the frame they decorated.

The store may also have horse-shaped plywood or cardboard cutouts they can decorate.

Also, you can find the letter-beads and some pretty cord and they can make necklaces with their favorite horse's name on it. Even after just one day, they will have a favorite horse.

Not exactly crafts, but you can do a scavenger hunt around the barn. If they are able to learn some markings (or you can give them a printed illustration), have them search for a horse with two socks or a horse with a star, etc....

Have fun!

Paint horse shoes! I used to bring home extra shoes from the barn (either ones from the field or the ones the farrier took off) and I'd paint them. I tried to find the ones from the horses I rode so I could put their names on their shoe. I didn't have real paint at home, so I used nail polish If you can get real paint I'm sure it would work really well.
    Pics:
    http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psd9bbe0d9.jpg
    http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psdd48805d.jpg
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Last summer at camp here, I took pics of the kids and their horses, printed them out in a 4 x 6 size and got inexpensive frames at the Dollar Store and they decorated the frames with glitter, feathers, etc then put the photos inside as a gift for Mom and Dad. They had alot of fun doing it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm sure there's a way to make a frame using old horse shoes...then fill with a photo of the kids doing their horsey thing.

You can also get some horse shoe nails from the blacksmith/farrier, blunt the sharp point and have him (I do it myself) turn them into little rings - just for fun. You can also make pendants out of them and pick up some black or brown waxed/unwaxed linen on your Michael's field trip....there are several options in the jewelry section.

Dark colored t-shirt designs with bleach pens; light colored t-shirts using sharpies or spray dye (easier than tie dye buckets).

There are also these little tiny pendant/necklace kits you can buy at Michael's/jewelry craft stores that are basically like tiny vials. The kids can put ring sand in them.

Upside down handprints in anything on anything (totes, shirts, etc.) can be turned into horses, too.

I love keep-able crafts - BUT as a parent - I must confess to hating that feeling of having to keep something that is a hot mess with no use simply b/c DD made it. I'm sure that makes me Parent Fail of the Century but DD has 80 go-zillion camp crafts that just sit around and fall apart as the cheap glue disintegrates. Some of the best things she's made are things like t-shirts and jewelry that she can actually wear.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you have a light colored horse, paint the horse! I know there are non-toxic paints available and if you have a nice, quiet horse who will stand patiently, it looks like it would be fun for the kids.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

On that same "paint the horse" idea, you could also let them practice braiding pretty ribbons in the horse's mane. (I say mane just so you don't have them hovering around the back end for the tail)

Maybe you could have them make 'horse treats' to give to their favorite horse before they leave? I was thinking the no-bake kind like these:

http://www.eighteenhands.com/2012/01...-horse-treats/

http://www.greenhorn-horse-facts.com...se-treats.html
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Love this idea if the kids are old enough to handle it:

http://annwood.net/blog/category/horses/

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    If you have a light colored horse, paint the horse! I know there are non-toxic paints available and if you have a nice, quiet horse who will stand patiently, it looks like it would be fun for the kids.
    Yes - AFTER you've taught them some of the parts! Have them paint the names of the parts on - or each part a different color or ???
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

"I'm sure there's a way to make a frame using old horse shoes...then fill with a photo of the kids doing their horsey thing."

Sure - get some stiff cardboard, some self-laminating material (Staples has it in 4x6 and full sheets), and some superglue (or any glue that will stick to metal, plastic, and paper. Take a picture, have the kids 'crop' it with scissors to be a bit smaller than the horseshoe and laminate it. Then glue it to the decorated horseshoe 'frame' and use the cardboard as a backer. You could tape a small safety pin on the back so it could be hung up.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

The camp I was an assistant counselor at did something that I thought was a fun idea. We got wooden horse cutouts at the craft store (only a few dollars a piece), and acrylic paints. Then the kids painted them to look like their favorite horse from camp. They turned out really well for the most part, and had little hangers on the back. The kids loved it! And they also didn't take a huge amount of time. It kept them occupied for what I would call a "just right" amount of time, and they had a nice memory to take home. I actually made one myself of my horse since there was an extra, and I still have it on my wall.

1 members found this post helpful.

Liquid chalk (if you can find it), is the type of paint my daughter's barn uses during camp. Also, pre paint the horse shoe a silver or gold, have the kids decorate with stick on jewels. Take pictures of them with the horses and print and use the shoe as a picture frame. We have several from past years and they are super cute.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

When I was a kid I painted and hot glue gunned fake flowers and ribbon on horse shoes for my grandparents. 20 years later it's still hanging on their wall and it still looks good!

I painted and decorated horseshoes as Christmas gifts for the people at my barn. I bought card embellishments from Michaels to decorate them with. They turned out really cute. You can hot glue ribbon on to hang them with. I have Christmas and Halloween horseshoes. If you have a horse with a great tail you could try horsehair jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    Love this idea if the kids are old enough to handle it:

http://annwood.net/blog/category/horses/
    Really cute!