The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Elite Riders as Athletes - scientific studies?

Can anyone point me towards any scientific studies discussing elite riders as athletes? I don't mean your average joe rider, I'm thinking of Olympic level riders.

I know they're athletes. You know they're athletes. I just need some data to back it up... a friend is claiming that elite riders are highly skilled, but not truly athletes when compared to other Olympic level athletes, proven by the fact that someone such as Ian Miller is still competing at the elite level. Once I stopped laughing, I promised the silly person I'd find some data...

(For the record, they felt equestrian was one of a long list of "not real athletes", including archery).
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Can anyone point me towards any scientific studies discussing elite riders as athletes? I don't mean your average joe rider, I'm thinking of Olympic level riders.

I know they're athletes. You know they're athletes. I just need some data to back it up... a friend is claiming that elite riders are highly skilled, but not truly athletes when compared to other Olympic level athletes, proven by the fact that someone such as Ian Miller is still competing at the elite level. Once I stopped laughing, I promised the silly person I'd find some data...

(For the record, they felt equestrian was one of a long list of "not real athletes", including archery).
    Why do their research for them?

Tell them to substantiate their own claims.

Look at which party is sitting around lazily making claims and which party is scurrying off doing research. Flip that right around.

1 members found this post helpful.

She would probably be surprised to learn that archers have a pretty significant fitness regimen too. It turns out you have to be pretty strong to be able to stand that still while pulling back the string.

Equestrian is like that too - you are using muscles to stay still rather than to create motion, not unlike in skiing. Remember, in skiing, the hill does all the work.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I find the best option for people who don't get it is to make them ride...and not just a hinky trail ride either...

2 minutes trying to learn posting trot was enough to change my dear hubby's mind, back when he was dear fiance!

I believe ESPN ranked all of the Olympic Sports by strength, skill, etc. I will poke around and see if I can find the study.
    Impossible is nothing.

Not too helpful
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

At least they got the difficulty right one this one!
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...6044--oly.html

I second the suggestion to let them ride posting etc. for an hour or so. Use a nice bouncy horse.
    Impossible is nothing.

the only real study I've ever heard of was about jockeys- and I don't have a link to it. I recall (probably incorrectly) that they got various athletes to take a fitness test, and the jockeys came out #1 as super-fit overall.

Yes, that jockey study definitely exists, with jockeys being the fittest and strongest pound for pound.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

May not be exactly what you are looking for, but here is a scholarly article discussing elite equestrians that are regarded as athletes in a study that looked at the competitive mindset for the sport:

http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-5...-and-sub-elite
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I think you've fallen into this trap: http://xkcd.com/386/

Just roll your eyes, say "That's right the horse does all the work, just like the mountain does all the work in skiing and the wave does all the work in surfing", and go on with your life. If they really think it you won't change their mind, and they are likely just saying it annoy you anyway.