The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best supplement for Black horse coat

I am sure there are threads on this, just didn't find them readily. I have a true black gelding, he is out 24/7 with access to stall. What do you all recommend to keep black coat nice and dark. I do put a fly sheet on him in summer...thanks,

Fly sheet when out.
    Stalled during the day.

Other than that, the sun is going to bleach the coat, even if you add supplements. It's what the sun does.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I have a registered black Arab- Black as Knight worked well, had just as good results w/ Nu-image.
    Some tail fading but body had green tint- out during day year round.

My only experience has been with a bay that kept a deep brown coat with, dare i say it?, dapples even through the summer sunshine on the SmartDark. Yeah, I drink that kool-aid.

Last summer I managed to keep my black/very dark bay horse dark for most of the summer. He has a stall that opens onto a paddock. He gets SmartOmega3, I use Vetrolin Shine almost daily, and he gets a bath weekly and hosings after rides or anytime he comes in really sweaty to remove the salt from sweating. On super hot days (95+) he gets locked in stall with fan and hay. He stayed pretty dark until about mid August at which point he bleached out in about two weeks... but this is also about the time he starts his winter coat growth (way to early for here but he never listens when we tell him). He competes and most of the darkening supplements have banned substances... so not worth risking it just to keep him dark.

Mostly the best way to keep them dark is to keep them out of the [strong] sun as much as possible. Night turnout and inside during the day. Hose off after rides to keep salt on hair down. UV protection spray (like Vetrolin Shine) seemed to help my guy a ton. No fly sheets here... they just grow mold/fungus under them and we end up bald instead!

copper

Blackenall
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Copper

You'll never prevent all fading, barring simply never exposing the horse to sun. But it's a fact that the darker the coat, the more melanin necessary for the darker/deeper pigment, and melanin requires copper for production. A horse can have enough to be "healthy", but if he's drastically fading, he does not have enough copper (and possibly also zinc).

That doesn't mean all the copper in the world will keep all horses from fading - it doesn't. But it can dramatically reduce it.

Iron,copper, and zinc must be given in certain ratios or mineral imbalances will occur. Feed a mineral suppliment designed to compliment the diet your horse is eating. Check with an equine nutritionist if possible.
    That said, Flax Seed is safe and works for my horses.

I am a huge fan of Quick Black shampoo. Works great on dappled grays too..

I have heard that paprika works wonders. Have not tried it myself though.

I have seen amazing success with paprika. Surprisingly palatable and got the mare *black* for her inspection in a matter of weeks. We did about a tablespoon daily but I have heard it tests so watch for that if it matters to you.