The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rules question, bits.

So in the hunter rules, I have found references to "regulation snaffles" but I can't seem to locate the section where legal bits are actually shown and described. I've looked through the hunter rules, the general rules, and a few other pdf files that are part of the rule book.

Where is this info rules gurus?

1 members found this post helpful.

A- it does not exixt in print (or if it does, I can't find it)

B- it primarily exists (differently) in the brain of each individual hunter judge.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    A- it does not exixt in print (or if it does, I can't find it)
    HU125 Tack.
    1. Regulation snaffles, pelhams and full bridles, all with cavesson nose bands, are recommended. A judge may penalize for non-conventional types of bits or nosebands.

I am curious myself.

Hummm.... on one hand this makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who can't find it....

On the other hand, it is a little disconcerting that the rules are so vague.

So I guess so long as it looks conventional from the outside (cheek pieces) it doesn't matter whats on the inside?

What it means is that the rings have to look normal to the judge as he sees you cantering by. The mouthpiece can be literally anything if the judge sees a normal cheek, in terms of legality.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I'm glad this question has been brought up. What about loose ring snaffles in the hunter ring?

Loose rings are certainly conventional and allowed.

The one 'conventional' and dressage legal bit that I probably wouldn't put on a hunter is a baucher. Ironic, since it's only made with conventional mouthpieces, but there you go.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree it's judges discretion. I'd consider the Myler bits with the fixed rein slots unconventional.

Loose rings have not been in style as of late, but I've never seen a horse penalized for them.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Yes, as so many things are in the hunter division, it depends on each individual judge. No such thing as legal or illegal.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I've only shown my (not-so-baby) baby horse at local shows thus far, but he shows in the hunters in a loose ring, because all of the double jointed D ring bits have mouthpieces that are too think. I've considered getting a Sprenger KK D ring that seems to be about the same thickness as my current loose ring (a KK knock-off) but not sure how he would like the fixed cheek.

As far as I'm concerned, if a judge doesn't place me because he's in a loose ring, it is either as a minor tie breaker, which kind of sucks but whatever, or the judge has a questionable judging criteria, which will become evident in other placings and I will avoid.

No legal/illegal in the hunter ring. It's conventional vs unconventional. The only things set in stone (off the top of my head) are boots on the horse or a martingale in the hack. You could technically show in a hack a bit or a figure 8 with a running martingale with a gag. Will you get a ribbon? Doubtful. Your best bet is a snaffle, something that can pass as a snaffle or a Pelham.

A hunter gag will get you no score with some judges. Or at least I have seen that in the past.
    www.jazcreek.com
    Specialized Equine Rehabilitation and Fitness in the Wine Country