The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alfalfa Pellets vs. Cubes?

Is there any reason to feed one over the other?

Pellets are way easier to scoop. That being said, I switched over to cubes because they seem less dusty and I like how they soak up better. My horses get free choice hay but long stem fiber could be a consideration in some diets- the pellets don't provide it.
    Kerri

3 members found this post helpful.

I feed cubes - a bit more labor but the horse like them and its a good way to add moisture to their diet. Takes a bit longer for them to eat cubes so I think they get more chewing satisfaction too.

Just not a big pellet fan either.

If you are feeding alfalfa as part of an ulcer prevention regime then I would go with cubes as my understanding is that the more you process alfalfa the less benefit it has. So my first choice would be hay, then cubes and pellets as a last choice.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cubes are considered long stem fiber. Pellets are not.

If you are feeding alfalfa as part of an ulcer prevention regime then I would go with cubes as my understanding is that the more you process alfalfa the less benefit it has.
    To add to this, because chewing stem hay creates saliva, and saliva buffers stomach acid, then cubes are the better choice because cubes are considered long stem fiber. Chewing up pellets wouldn't yield the same amount of saliva when chewing.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

3 members found this post helpful.

What is the approximate ratio of feeding cubes to pellets? For instance, if I feed one scoop of cubes, would I feed approximately 1/2 scoop of pellets since they are more condensed and less bulky? If I have to weigh them, then I will, but I'm just looking for a general approximation...

Thanks in advance feed gurus!

I prefer cubes because they soften up faster, but I feed pellets to horses who don't like the texture of the cubes. For horses who don't like either, I used chopped alfalfa.

If they weren't getting as much hay, I would prefer cubes since they're the longer-stemmed option. However, my horses get just about as much orchard hay as they want (except the chunky pony, his gets limited ), cubes are a pain to scoop, and my one mare will not eat cubes (she'll just eat her hay instead), so I feed pellets in addition to my hay. Also, I have actually found pellets easier to soak than cubes- maybe it just depends on what kind you get?

I board, and use pellets because they don't have to be soaked, which is much simpler in a boarding situation. But I'm just using them to supplement hay and give a few extra calories. If you're replacing all or most of the hay ration, I would use cubes (obviously soaked).
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

totally wondering here, I have never fed either (except to my hamsters), but are cubes a risk for choke at all?

^^^ I would imagine not if you soak them.

I feed pellets in the warm months and cubes in the cold ones. When its cold out I worry about hydration and cubes make a great mash. When its warm however, I just need to get my piglets their supplements, the pellets with a little oil capture and deliver the powdered suppys very nicely.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    What is the approximate ratio of feeding cubes to pellets? For instance, if I feed one scoop of cubes, would I feed approximately 1/2 scoop of pellets since they are more condensed and less bulky? If I have to weigh them, then I will, but I'm just looking for a general approximation...

Thanks in advance feed gurus!
    Unless you have to be nitty gritty about it, it's a pound for pound comparison. Technically the cubes will have a bit more calories as 1) they tend to be from better quality alf to start with and 2) there is less processing so there are more leaves. I don't think there's any "standard" of volume comparison for them since there are small thin pellets and big fat ones, and smaller less dense cubes you can break apart with your hand and bigger fat ones that practically need a hammer LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    totally wondering here, I have never fed either (except to my hamsters), but are cubes a risk for choke at all?
    Probably a bit, yes, especially if you have the bigger, harder cubes combined with a bolter. I DO know a couple of folks who do/have fed cubes whole and dry to help with teeth, and never had a problem. I know horses who have choked on dry pellets (of whatever type, feed, alf, etc). But yes, all else equal, dry cubes probably do up the risk of choke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    I feed soaked cubes to my senior pair. Never had choke using the cubes. My friend has a three year old that she gave 2 cups of pellets to as a treat. He vacumed them up and them proceeded to choke on them.

I feed pellets as treats, both straight and soaked in tea (yes, tea). He loves them both ways, haven't had him choke (but he's not a hoover normally anyways), and also don't have him suffering from liquid poop like he gets if he eats off the shelf horse treats. He won't eat cubes, soaked or dry. He chews on them and spits them out, guess he's not a fan of the texture. Pellets also are easier for me to store, I only need a small bin, rather than a full sized garbage can to store them in. And where I live, pellets are almost $5 cheaper than cubes and a $11 bag of pellets lasts me months.