The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Huntcliff Equestrian Center (Alpharetta/Atlanta GA)

Hi everyone

I'm an eventer, but I'm looking for a boarding stable closer to midtown Atlanta (meaning NW, north, or NE). My horse is currently 1 hr + away, near Athens from when I went to UGA.

Huntcliff looks like one of the easiest barns for me to get to, but I don't know anything at all about them.

Can anyone give me their take?

TIA!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Are they still around? Last I heard, a few years ago, the trainer, Nicole, got caught in a lot of lies and legal troubles and skipped town to Florida. Maybe Pierre is still there. I have a few friends who tried it there and have all left. Didn't like Pierre, didn't like Nicole, and didn't like the care. It may be different if it's still around, but I haven't heard of Huntcliff for years.

There are a few eventing barns south of town in Newnan which would be easier to get to (traffic wise) but still a hike. If you're seeking to board an event horse be sure there's enough turnout to keep him fit. Chastain is not big enough (and is very expensive)

Huntcliff used to be beautiful, right on the 'hooch, and had shows. Don't know what they are doing now.

Try the barn at Chastain Park.

I found Huntcliff on the Georgia Ag department's list of barns, but I can't find a website or anything.

Newnan is WAY too far more than an hour, which is what I'm doing now, and if I can't save a significant amount of time, I don't think it's worth moving her away from a place where I fully trust the owners. At least right now if I can't get out for several days, I don't stress about it.

Chastain has zero turnout, and my horse is used to a lot. They go out at night (year round because our barn is COLD) plus if the owner is gone all day, sometimes she'll feed them and then turn them back out.

I've looked around but can't really find anything with turnout. I knew it would be tough finding a place closer to Atlanta, but I didn't realize it would be THIS hard!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Chastain is a lovely facility but has no turnout. You would have to be okay with that to go there. It is also incredibly expensive.

There's a local show at Wills Park on 4/27-4/28 that has a lot of jumper classes. Why don't you go over and watch. See if there are any H/J trainers you might like to work with & go from there.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

The facility is there, different trainers (a few have been through since Nicole left and many were there before Nicole), Nicole is in CT now I believe.

If you like your horse, just say no to Chastain.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    If you like your horse, just say no to Chastain.
    That's definitely the feeling I got. It's a shame because without traffic it's 15 minutes from me!

Considering how the two weeks of stall rest went following a muscle biopsy for her tying up issues, turnout is definitely necessary! The more the better, and completely incompatible with living in Atlanta. The BO called me at about day 4 and said "We're going to have to do something with your animal".

http://huntcliffonline.com/huntcliff...tml?page_id=29

According to this link, Barbara Macon will be back running things for at least this summer. Barbara's good people and a good trainer. Though if you're looking to event, they don't have the sort of setup you'd need.

I assume that's true for most h/j barns, but there are a lot more of them around than eventing ones. Plus I think it would be easier to have a place with jumps and an instructor that can help me with jumping, and trailer or bring in a dressage trainer, than it would be to board at a dressage place and have to always trailer elsewhere to jump at all.

Thanks for that link. I'll email them and see if I can go see the place.

FYI, Newnan's not an hour from midtown unless it's rush hour - and Alpharetta's never a quick drive from midtown!
    Y'all ain't right!

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

from an eventing perspective I'd look south of the city (Newnan, etc.) - more eventers down there and it's probably about the same commute as Huntcliff (and closer than Alpharetta).
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Default Huntcliff

My mom lives in Huntcliff and walks her dogs to the stables a few times a week. Cramped turnout but they do get out. Look well fed but lots of turnover in the clientele and nowhere to fit up an eventer. Just two smallish rings. And, it floods. I'd look south as well from Midtown.

I'll have to look more south then I swear when I mapped it (Google maps right before I leave work counts, right?) that it said minimum 45 minutes without traffic. I made it to the Dover store in about 35 with traffic yesterday so that made me think Alpharetta was a doable commute.

Fortunately my boss is awesome and lets me work 7 - 4 to avoid the terrible commute, even though now I live in walking distance from work.

If Alpharetta is doable, then there might be some other alternatives to Huntcliff. Huntcliff is actually closer to Roswell but I would not bored a horse there! I grew up in Huntcliff subdivision and rose at there in my 20's. Loved growing up there way back when but now I would not keep a horse there. Turnout is limited, stables needs help, it floods and I don't think the long term outlook for the equestrian center is good. Also has others have mentioned, getting an event horse fit there would be a joke!!!

Default Go to Vinings!

polobearclub.com
    Contact Jolie. At the very least you'll have turnout and TONS of room to breeze your horse. Last I went there (I'll admit, it's been years) there were jumps in the sand arena by the barn.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    polobearclub.com
    Contact Jolie. At the very least you'll have turnout and TONS of room to breeze your horse. Last I went there (I'll admit, it's been years) there were jumps in the sand arena by the barn.
    Your link isn't working for me? But I am intrigued I have a friend that lives in Vinings. It would be nice to board near someone that has dealt with horses (in the past) should anything happen!

http://www.polobearpoloclub.com/introtopolo.cfm

try this one. The first one was off memory, this one is via google.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Okay thanks! That's the one I found but I wasn't sure.

There's nothing listed on the site about boarding, and I haven't found anything via Google either. Do you know where I can find contact info? Or should I use the email address on there to request more info?