The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I love being an equestrian... I am not frustrated... I love all horses

This is my mantra this morning. Why?

Because the horsey who arrived here on trial yesterday and is lovely by all counts had a 102 fever this am.

Vet is coming at 10. Horse is in good spirits, ate up his grain, eating hay. No cough or nose running. Just has a fever.

But he's not been with us even 16 hours! First vet bills come fast even when you don't own them.

Ahhhh welllll... Fingers crossed he will be ok.

Best part was trying to explain to my bosses why I had to be late/ possibly not come in, to take care of someone else's horse. Let's just say its a very good thing for the horse I have different priorities than they do. LOL.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

You may have already thought of this, but I would be doing some serious bio-security with this one. New/strange horse with a fever would have me climbing the walls with paranoia!

Hope it's just a little bug and nothing terribly exciting!

2 members found this post helpful.

My guy spiked a fever with cellulitis the week I got him. Fortunately he hasn't seen the vet since, 2.5 years later (except for shots, etc). Knock on wood! Good luck with him, and I hope he works out for you.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Great catch. I think most people would not have been taking temps on a horse who was otherwise looking normal, but they should be! Hopefully it's not a big deal. Horses are great!

Ah yes, my oft chanted mantra. Am assuming he is quarantined, we had strangles that started like that with no snot, ooga booga.

I am also doing the headdesk of management -- every time I pay an entry fee, they go, ohhhhh, I'm really feeling too sore for self-carriage all of a sudden. Sorry to lead you on for the last 3 months. *bang* *bang* *bang*

I feel the pain.
    Last edited by wildlifer; Apr. 15, 2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: grammerz

2 members found this post helpful.

And 24 hours later he has managed to stay at 99.4 and with confirmation of his recent inoculations all vets and parties involved believe it was a shipping cold.

Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Hope temp stays down, keep checking. Now for next question - did he vet otherwise?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

He's on trial. Won't know for a bit.

Em

PS; Funniest part of my day. I got sent home once I got into work. I was bad for taking care of the pony, so they "punished" me by making sure I didn't get paid yesterday.

*Sigh*

Em

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    PS; Funniest part of my day. I got sent home once I got into work. I was bad for taking care of the pony, so they "punished" me by making sure I didn't get paid yesterday.

*Sigh*

Em
    Commiserations
    I suppose next time just say you need a personal day due to illness & leave it at that ...

When I bought my gelding, I had a two week trial with him. On week three (first week of actually owning him), he gets a puncture wound (nothing found in the pasture, appeared to be from a stick in a wooded area the horses have access to). Vet call #1. Antibiotics, but thankfully no stitches.

Horses are talented at injuring themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Commiserations
    I suppose next time just say you need a personal day due to illness & leave it at that ...
    This is what I do ... I am not saying that kids and horses are on the same 'level' ... but a horse is a responsibility too, and some people get to take sick days for a sick kid !

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Commiserations
    No vacation, sick or personal days allowed.

Em

Whoa... remind me to not work where you work.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Yea February was fun... My Grandfather died on Weds am at 6:45. I dually notfied them at 7:15 that I was heading to Massachusetts immediately to support my mother. I am in Pa. They told me "Well given the distance you can have today and tomorrow but we'll need you back Friday to answer the phones."

Now I managed to stay through the funeral on Saturday but I heard a lot of griping and later was asked why I was "so tired, as I had just had a 4 day vacation." I was down with food poisoning the day before my Grampa died, and then dealing with family. Wow... hell of a vacation. And 4 days lost pay.

*Sigh*

Em

I'm very sorry about your Grampa ((Hugs))

Try to find a job that treats you like a human being (not just a cog in the machine) - there are many jobs where no work, no pay is all the employer can manage BUT employees are still treated with care & consideration.