The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A New Workout Craze - Feeding Horses :-)

I'm sure this post might make many of you go "well, yeah, no kidding, Laskiblue," but -- I wound up feeding all the horses at the ranch where I board my horse this morning, and was that ever a good workout for my out of shape self. Even though the ranch is small and there were only 15 horses to feed, I worked up a pretty good sweat by the time I was through. Kudos to those of you who feed multiple equines everyday.

2 members found this post helpful.

A labor of love...

Yes, a labor of love. Although I will never be fast enough to suit my 3! lol

I clean the barn everyday but don't consider it a workout. Any routine that becomes 'routine' loses it's workout value. I consider my barn work to be 'activity' but not fat-burning, calorie reducing EXERCISE! And it's best to be all around active!

I went from 2 easy keeping pastured horses to 4 horses, one stalled (with an injury) at my farm in one day. I couldn't figure out why I was so dog-tired at night, because after all, it was just another two horses and I was "just" picking an extra stall and paddock, and feeding a few.

Then I looked at my fitbit equivalent and found that instead of walking about a mile a day, it upped my walking to between 3 and 4 miles a day. Add in some extra lifting (hay between 20-25 lbs per horse), picking (maybe 5 lbs? repeatedly?), and general outdoor exposure and it was no wonder I was a. exhausted, and b. starving!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Then I looked at my fitbit equivalent and found that instead of walking about a mile a day, it upped my walking to between 3 and 4 miles a day. Add in some extra lifting (hay between 20-25 lbs per horse), picking (maybe 5 lbs? repeatedly?), and general outdoor exposure and it was no wonder I was a. exhausted, and b. starving!
    I feed 16 horses twice a day, move bales, feed, bedding. Clean stalls, scrub buckets and troughs, and walk up and down hills opening and closing gates, and taking photos of the retirees.

I don't eat a lot, but I STILL cannot lose that 10 lbs that has settled in the waistline. The Menopause 10.

I walk several times a week with a friend, usually 3-4 miles, depending on the weather. Once it is nice enough, we ride instead. You would think with how tired I am at night, I'd be burning a lot of calories, and be fit and trim. I guess I just need to do a different set of exercises, but I don't know where I'll find the energy. Hopefully my Spring Gardening will help.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I think one does reach a "stalemate" - imagine that Menopause 10 WITHOUT all the work that you do

When I was feeding/cleaning 25 I lost a bunch of weight but I also was very careful about my diet. And we had a very manual method of manure removal.

Alas, I don't feed/clean up after that many anymore...and yea...diet....LOL

Since I've been feeding and cleaning our 5 guys for a couple years now, like others have said, I figure that the work out value is not the same as when I first started.
    So sometimes I will run in between stalls and back and forth between the dumpster. It's a really great work out to run across the arena pulling a heavy wheelbarrow. I bet I look like an idiot, but my thighs appreciate it, and so do the horses since they get fed faster!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

That would be a good workout NBChoice! I think I'd be afraid that I'd trip in my muck boots and end up IN the wheelbarrow, though!!!

My "secret" to fabulous arm muscles is shedding season. I get the heaviest rubber curry I can find and go to town for as long as I can stand it. I'm always getting compliments at my super-toned arms and shoulders!!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE