The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow. Congratulation!!! I just came back from a hunter show and had a ball. No, we didn't get blue ribbon (he really isn't what the judge was looking for - too short legs, lol) but we still did really well, placing 2nd ~ 3rd in very tough classes, certainly way better than what we would have placed before I switched to dressage. And you know what, after riding dressage solidly for years, showing hunter is almost like a vacation to me: very relaxing and just tons of fun! I had "real" smile on my face instead of a forced fake one. It is such an exhilaration feeling when you get a trained dressage horse who know how to use his whole body to move through space to just stretch out and go.

OP - the key to taking up dressage work is the ability to accept that it is all about small details - is the horse straight, is it supple, can it carry itself, does it accept contact, etc etc. If you are ok with that type of focus and working hard on a correct seat, then it can be hugely beneficial. (and you might get hooked). It sounds like you have come at this understanding the above and thus are enjoying the learning process. I had an epiphany the other day when doing a half pass. sometimes maresy seems "hoppy" in her trot when doing HP right - I suddenly FELT that she was running thru/leaning on that right shoulder. And I knew how to fix. Viola, no more hopping. This type of feeling is what I've been working towards and its exciting.

good luck and have fun!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........