The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Behavioral peeing

I have two Cavaliers, male and female, both neutered. They are 3 1/2 years old. They are housebroken...except...

When I go out I leave them in the bedroom with access to the doggie door and run. They use the door without issue (except when the blizzard stacked snow in front - priceless expression on their faces!) I have baby-gated them in the room. As they got older I wanted to expand their world. This is when a problem developed.
    BoyDog is peeing in the spare bedroom when given access.. When I used enzyme cleaner and blocked one place, he peed in another. I am guessing that it is a marking behvior "This is mine!"

He never does this when I am home so I cannot catch him in the act. I restricted them for several weeks, but he returned to the behavior. I can continue to keep them in the bedroom where the problem doesnt occur, but are there any other solutions?

First, I would get a physical and UA done, at the very least, to rule out any physical problems.

Is he peeing on upright objects or flat surfaces? Upright would suggest marking... but if its on the floor it could very well be a physical issue (or house training).

Second, you also need to rule out separation anxiety. Since he only does this when you aren't around, it is certainly possible that is the cause. Separation anxiety would be treated in a totally different manner, and there are drugs to help.

If it does turn out to be a house training issue, you may have to start over as if he's a puppy... making sure you take him out at scheduled times, praising for correct elimination, etc

At one point I had two male JRT's in the house (with a few females as well). They would on occasion mark, and it would drive me nuts. They didnt to it frequently, but more than once is enough for me!

Unfortunately I lost one of them due to a very severe illness, and now that just the older one is around with his "girls" there's no more marking.

I think sometimes male dogs just feel the need. Mine would never do it infront of me...always something that was done in secret!

I'm a hardass I guess. If they're urinating in the house I assume that either A) there's a medical problem or B) they're not really house trained.

I'd want to rule out a medical condition first.

Then? Keep the other rooms shut and crate if needed. Some dogs take longer than others to really get the clue. My lab was crated when I was away til he was 4. No harm in it. Especially if it saves you messes to clean up. For me it was more about getting into stuff, not potty training. But regardless...crates are fabulous.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a young male that was peeing in the crate and house. And he drank water far more frequently than any dog I;d ever had. The vet and I did a process of elimination and never really found out the culprit. He was unable to concentrate his urine. There was one blood test that pointed to a medical problem, so we knew that it wasn't behavioral.....I changed dog food, the dog got older he's not peed in house in a long long while (knock wood) he's 14mo now. He did poop downstairs 2x, but he was accidentally shut up down there, so my fault for not paying attention.

I usually view peeing in the house as a physical or training issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    BoyDog is peeing in the spare bedroom when given access.. When I used enzyme cleaner and blocked one place, he peed in another. I am guessing that it is a marking behvior "This is mine!"
    probably not. If you truly feel it's behavioral (due to rulilng out medical), then it's probably Seperation Anxiety or paw wringing. Boys tend to pee on things when they are uncomfortable.

case: last foster was totally clueless about how to approach other dogs. He was r.u.d.e. My ACD is my appointed Get Em' Civilvized dog, so he went out with her, and immediately stood up against her shoulder. She turned to snap at him and he was gone. This happened again. Then the third time she managed to pinch him. He yipped and went to pee on some hosta to make himself feel better. After that, for about 2 weeks or so, when he went out, she went out. Every time out, if she came within a few feet or so of him, he found something to pee on. It was an anxiety based behavior due to being reprimanded by Meg. After about 2 weeks, it gradually went away but the lesson stuck.

So my guess would be that when he does this because you aren't there, it is a nervous response to being left with too much room for too long.

He never does this when I am home so I cannot catch him in the act. I restricted them for several weeks, but he returned to the behavior. I can continue to keep them in the bedroom where the problem doesnt occur, but are there any other solutions?
    when you caught him in the act previously, how did you handle it? If you punished him, it could make him worry about being left alone because then you come back and you are angry. I understand the frustration but perhaps it would just be easier on all of you to keep him where he's comfortable. If that's unacceptable, then try leaving for very short periods of time (5-10 min), and put a baby diaper on him.

Thanks for the feedback.

He doesnt pee in the house when I am home (at least not for quite a while). He doesnt pee in the house if restricted to the bedroom. But once I try to extend the "territory" by allowing them into the guest room, he would pee in the guest room.

He is not drinking or peeing excessively and always has access to the doggie door. He does, however. love to mark when out on exercise walks (he knows he is not allowed to when under command) Vet did not see a problem and we are holding off doing diagnostics at the moment. When I did catch him peeing in the house, I would interrupt him with AAH AAH! and put him outside. No hitting, "shaming" etc. Of course, recently I have not "caught" him and have not attempted correction.

So I am thinking it is a kind of housebreaking issue. I can keep him restricted to the bedroom, but was wondering how to go about "housebreaking" for this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

He doesnt pee in the house when I am home (at least not for quite a while). He doesnt pee in the house if restricted to the bedroom. But once I try to extend the "territory" by allowing them into the guest room, he would pee in the guest room.

He is not drinking or peeing excessively and always has access to the doggie door. He does, however. love to mark when out on exercise walks (he knows he is not allowed to when under command) Vet did not see a problem and we are holding off doing diagnostics at the moment. When I did catch him peeing in the house, I would interrupt him with AAH AAH! and put him outside. No hitting, "shaming" etc. Of course, recently I have not "caught" him and have not attempted correction.

So I am thinking it is a kind of housebreaking issue. I can keep him restricted to the bedroom, but was wondering how to go about "housebreaking" for this situation?
    leave him 5-10 minutes only for a month and see if he can tolerate that if not, you are probably never going to be able to leave him out.

I should point out that my male is crated when ever I leave the house. This prevents accidents while I am out. And for the anti crate crowd I'll add that he's never in a crate for longer than 3-4 hrs max, and this crating prevents him from eating things that do not pass through a dogs digestive system....ie it keeps him alive and prevents stomach surgery... as he is prone to ingesting un-edibles.