The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse trailer shopping advice needed please

I think I finally have DH ready to spend the money on a new (or at least new to us) horse trailer, but I am stuck on what I want.

I THINK I want a 2+1, but they are pretty pricey, and I can't find anyone local who has one to actually look at.

Key features I want:
    - Easy to load/unload one horse by myself
    - a ramp that is easy to lift by myself

DH would like aluminum and gooseneck. and the less we spend the better.

We are thinking a three horse as that is what we have now...although if I can find an affordable 2 horse, may just keep both. Must be towable by our 3/4 ton.

I kind of like the idea of chest and butt bars for the horse's sake...I worry about their necks in an angle haul, but maybe that is silly? I do like how in our angle haul the horses can just turn around and walk out...nobody has to back out.

Advice on trailer styles that would suite, as well as advice on ramps and on easy load features would be great.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I just bought one of these http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.c...ht-loads/st-sr with the delux upgrade. For $16k it is an awesome trailer
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We are ordering one from this place. We went and looked at what she had including the 2+1 gooseneck. I wasn't to impressed with it, ESP for the extra money. I liked the 3 horse slant better. It's an awesome looking trailer and from what we saw is built to last. This one is a steel frame aluminum skin. We were going to do a all aluminum but when we found out that merhow coats all the exposed steel in liner we choose to go with that. We are adding a ramp and Dutch doors taking out the rear tack, adding fans, changing colors and a few other extras but I'm very excited. From what I looked at, and even looking at 4stars I was much more impressed with the merhow and build of it then any of the others.

http://www.horseprotrailers.com/i-bp.html
    It is the 18th picture down the 3 horse.

Eta we are also doing the rumbar flooring because we didn't want wood.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I like both those options! The nearest Eclipse dealer would be in Washington though...but not sure how complicated that is.

Merhow is a brand I have never seen, but apparently there is a dealer not that far from here, with pretty much the same trailer you posted (but 2009)...going to email DH and see what he thinks!
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

They were very nicely built. Like I said I looked at different ones in person and that one seemed the nicest and most well built IMO. Idk about the 09 one but the windows on ours you can drop the windows and the bars if you want or leave the bars up.

I've researched eclipse and merhow. The one thing I noticed is merhow I couldn't find one bad review and eclipse I found a few if that makes a difference but some people loved the eclipse. You can do a search on here also and see opinions on both.