The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I also wondered about running the horses down the road but I figured if the road were too slippery they probably wouldn't have done it. Asphalt can be slippery but usually has fairly good traction.

Little Large Equine Hospital does their lameness exams out on the asphalt parking lot. Flexions and trotting circles on the pavement are the norm, and horses don't seem to have a problem on that surface.

But it is Monaco and those Europeans do like to be different.

I love the scoochy thing that Take Heart does, but someone ought to tell her she only has to lower her hindquarters and not her whole body.

3 members found this post helpful.

she is calling on her inner cow-pony
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post
    she is calling on her inner cow-pony
    Hmmm, is there something we don't know about her breeding? There was that paint.....

I liked the Totilas x Rubinestein x DeNiro crosses, very lovely!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Here's one more to enjoy 5mo old Totilas x Sandro Hit x Hohenstein filly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064v_G59dr0

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimbalist View Post
    I'd be wary of a Sandro Hit/Totilas cross. SH offspring are known for being super hot and some are crazy.
    Where do you get your information? May I ask how many SH sons & daughters have you actually handled/ridden? Have you followed the scores of his get in testing? You know they DO test for character and actually assign a number. If you have actual experience with them or look at the actual scores you will see/know that SH are NOT known for "being super hot." Let's look at the scores in the stallion testing(s) for 2 SH sons now standing here in America: Schroeder (a SH son tested in Germany) got a "9" for character. Soprano (Danish stallion) got an equally high score for disposition. They are o/o very different dam lines, btw.

What SH get ARE known for is a tendency towards height, a dark coat (he himself is homozygous for black/bay) and some have abit of a slow hind leg, although this is not the case in either of the two stallions I mentioned. I assume this is what you meant by the elegant & technical phrase "funky hindend"?

There are TONS of SH get out there now, including quite afew approved sons. Take a look at the character scores of these boys and I'm sure you will see that they are not "super hot...some are crazy." When horses are scoring 8-9+, they are NOT crazy.

This is the kind of uninformed "internet expertise" that can make COTH a dangerous place at times...as for the quality of T's foals; it does not surprise me that he is turning out top class foals: he is being bred to top class mares.

He started his breeding career the last year he was with Gal; BEFORE he was sold. Mare owners had to apply and only a limited number of breedings were offered.

Second year was much the same, and he changed hands around this time. Currently I am not aware of any screening process, but I can't say with any certainty because I haven't tried to breed to him.

It will take alot for T. to fail as a sire -- he has a lovely pedigree and he is owned and promoted by a wealthy, knowledgeable horseman. His career has been and will be managed so that success is pretty much guaranteed.

Must say I can't tell a great deal from these videos other than most of them seem to be black with one rear sock and the 2yo colt is probably not the easiest to catch *lol*
    Considering the boy was approved KWPN in 2009 one would hope that at least a few would pop up at approvals or even under saddle 4 years later. I'd be more interested in seeing those really. With Totilas reaching his performance-climax only later on in life it was probably not realistic to expect him to become a 'foal seller' but 4 years post approval I'd like to see at least a handful of colts turn up at approvals. Where have they gone? I know he only started breeding larger numbers in 2011 but someone must have used him after his approval surely? What happened to those babys has anybody seen any of them as adults?

Quote Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
    Considering the boy was approved KWPN in 2009 one would hope that at least a few would pop up at approvals or even under saddle 4 years later.
    The first Totilas foal was born Jan 2011.

Are you saying nobody bred to him in 2009 or did no foals pop up in 2010? It's hard to believe they had him approved and then didn't use him before a year later.

Totilas was first offered at stud in 2010. The Vissers chose to prioritise his competition duties prior to that.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
    Must say I can't tell a great deal from these videos other than most of them seem to be black with one rear sock and the 2yo colt is probably not the easiest to catch *lol*
    Considering the boy was approved KWPN in 2009 one would hope that at least a few would pop up at approvals or even under saddle 4 years later. I'd be more interested in seeing those really. With Totilas reaching his performance-climax only later on in life it was probably not realistic to expect him to become a 'foal seller' but 4 years post approval I'd like to see at least a handful of colts turn up at approvals. Where have they gone? I know he only started breeding larger numbers in 2011 but someone must have used him after his approval surely? What happened to those babys has anybody seen any of them as adults?
    As I recall one of the 2 Americans to breed to T. bred to him in 2010. I know Scott Tolman bred his Jazz mare that year.

Are you sure he was approved in '09?

Finally got a chance to watch all the videos -- every one of those mares is simply GORGEOUS!! That SH mare (the bay) is a real beauty.

And if you look at the pedigree of those mares -- they read like a who's who of dressage breeding.

It's not hard to produce super foals o/o mares like these -- but I'm not sure he's an improvement sire. If so, he's not showing it at this time.

I still don't think he's worth the very hefty stud fee; if I was going to spend that much, I'd breed to SH or Ferro or Negro...there are several others I can think of who have more of a proven record as a sire than T. Right now it's his name that is making these foals so desirable.

I kind of like the idea of Totilas on an S line mare as the S line horses can (in general) have a tough time with the collected work, so one would really hope that strong hind end would come through from T. I think it is hard to really make a judgement on the foals as I would never expect him to be a "foal maker", the real test will be to see these horses under saddle as 6 year olds ect.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.